QUestion on trip Insurance timing....just had a medical issue.

zdad59

So here's the situation.   Always planned on trip medical insurance for our upcoming cruise.     We sail Feb 15 to the ABCs on Celebrity.   Trip was paid for using my Chase Sapphire Reserve card, which provides good coverage.    I was going to buy more medical specific coverage, just in case.    Here's the wrench.......I had a heart attack last week.     Had it on Veteran's Day.     ended up having two stents put in.    Doc says I'm recovering well.   Allowed to go back to work next week.    No issues going on the cruise.

So my question becomes what impact does that have on the Chase Insurance, and would I still be able to get supplemental (with pre-existing coverage waiver I assume) coverage?

First time down this road.    Commentary by those considered experts is appreciated.

19 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

So my question becomes what impact does that have on the Chase Insurance, and would I still be able to get supplemental (with pre-existing coverage waiver I assume) coverage?

Don't know the impact on your Chase. You should probably call them. However, I did a quick google search and what I found indicated that pre-existing conditions are excluded. I may be wrong on that. It was just a quick search.

Regarding supplimental with pre-existing conditions. A couple of rules. When making the purchase, the covered party MUST be fit for travel as determined by a medical professional on the day of purchase.

For pre-existing conditions to be waived, one must purchase insurance usually with 10 to 21 days of making initial deposit for the scheduled travel. Only 1 policy that I'm aware of covers pre-existing condition if purchased at final payment date.

However, each State has it's own laws and regulations when it comes to insurance, so you might be good to go.

My best recommendation would be to reach out to one of the brokers you see listed in this forum and ask them for guidance

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

https://www.insuremytrip.com/

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

If you are looking for health insurance type coverage, check out GeoBlue.  That is only Health insurance, just like Chae is trip cancellation/delay insurance with a token medical insurance and more than token evacuation.  Worth a look.  Steve from the Trip Insurance Store is very helpful with that as well.  I did my homework and plan to buy it to cover any medical bills which we hope we don’t have, and just rely on Chase in case of cancellation.