ENUF TIME TO MAKE 10:05 PLANE DEPARTURE

oldpharmguy

I should know the answer but I thought I'd ask anyway.  We have a return flight to Houston after the cruise that departs at 10:10.  We use Luggage Direct and if it is the same as before we will leave the ship around 8 AM.  Enough time to Uber to FLL?   Thanks 

6 minutes ago, oldpharmguy said:

I should know the answer but I thought I'd ask anyway.  We have a return flight to Houston after the cruise that departs at 10:10.  We use Luggage Direct and if it is the same as before we will leave the ship around 8 AM.  Enough time to Uber to FLL?   Thanks 

Normally luggage direct does can only be used for flights leaving after noon.  On our recent Rotterdam cruise luggage direct was not available at all.

Seems to me you are cutting it close. If the ship is docking at Port Everglades, it's a short drive to FLL. If you get a ride immediately and there isn't a traffic backup, you're still less than 2 hours to flight time. Considering there could be long lines at the airport, restroom breaks, and a long walk to your gate, for me, I'd be stressed and rushed. Why end your vacation that way? I would take a later flight.

• Like 1

I just used Luggage Direct to FLL in late October.  My flight was 11:38, and earliest time was 11:30, so I just “squeaked” in so to speak.  In no way would I consider that flight time in FLL if there were other ships in Port that day, especially even one RCCL Behemoth of the Seas.

The only way you are going to have a chance of making it is if you walk off with your luggage as soon as they start (typically by 7:30). Since you apparently already booked your flight, it seems like you have no choice but to hope that everything works out OK and that there are no delays.

We disembarked the Nieuw Statendam on 11/10 and used early dis-embarkation.

We began leaving the ship at 7:15am (15 minutes earlier than the published estimate) and we took uber and were at FLL at 8am.

Of course, YMMV.

Edited by FlaMariner

3 hours ago, oldpharmguy said:

As already noted - Luggage Direct will not work for that early a flight (I am fairly certain).  Second, if you self-disembark you should be able to make a 10:10 am flight if your taxi or Uber it (10 minute ride to the airport).  Third, if you get to the airport early, lines should not be bad, but if you have TSA it would help just in case.

SO, if everything goes as planned with the ship and disembarkation, you should be fine.  However, stuff happens and you could miss your flight - its up to you how much you like to chance things.  Personally I would rather spend more time at the airport (or onboard) and not worry.

CPB has just so may available agents to go around.   If there are many ships arriving in PE when you get there, you may see only 2 or 3 immigration booths open out of the 10 or so that are there.   That will reduce immigration clearance to a crawl.   A 10 AM flight is cutting it way too close.   Why impose that level of stress on yourself after a relaxing cruise ?   The cost of an overnight hotel, if you miss that 10 AM flight, will cost you far more than you are saving.

3 hours ago, Taters said:

Last time we disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale it took us an hour and a half just to get through customs.  I wouldn't book a flight for earlier than 1 PM, but that's just me.

But if he's one of the first off the ship, the lines to get thru customs shouldn't be that bad, if there are any at all. i agree that they back up but not at 7:30am.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  As suggested, we have delayed our departure from 10 AM to 2:20 PM.  The reason we booked 10 AM in the first place was because it was  a  non stop flight.  Not so with the new one.  With Thanksgiving one day away, we are thankful that we had a choice.  We wish all of the Cruise Critic family a blessed Thanksgiving.     Bud & Marianne

• Like 3