Rum Bus Beach

jbiker

• 1 month later...

We spent a nice day there in late November, and can recommend it.

We opted to take advantage of one of their private cabanas for $6 per person($12 for two).  The cabanas have a covered table and cushioned benches, with a hanging hammock in front.  There are also (reclined) padded beach chairs set-up in front of the cabanas to use.

It's a great deal for the cabanas, however, it's also understood that it's expected that food and/or drinks will be ordered.  The prices on the menu are a bit on the expensive side, but if this is already known going in.... For around $40-50 a person, a private cabana, beach chairs, lunch and a few drinks can be had a spot that gives easy access to a pretty stretch of beach between Turner's and Darkwood(where we've spent previous cruise days at both as well).

There is also a (cold) fresh-water shower to rinse off the sand and salt water, which is a plus.  The staff was friendly and accommodating.

P1012191 (1).JPG

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 2:38 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

https://www.rumbusbeach.com/

Don't think they charge for seating.  Prices are in ECD - 2 ECD = $1.00

Sometimes wrong information is much worse than no information.

For some reason, Antigua board is full of incorrect information about costs, distances, beach drop-off, etc.

(or worse, unrelated information such as how to mix rum in response to question about beach drop off)

1) while link is great to have, it is practically useless as it has not been updated since mid 2018.  Skai's review and photo actually gives lot more information than the website.

2) 2 ECD = 1 USD is very bad exchange rate.  It is 2 Barbados dollars to 1 USD.  In Antigua, currency is ECD (Eastern Carribbean Dollar).  Simply typing "1 usd = ECD" in google wil quickly give the accurate information that the real exchange rate is 1 USD = 2.7 ECD

Edited by hal2008

11 hours ago, Skai said:

We spent a nice day there in late November, and can recommend it.

....... pretty stretch of beach between Turner's and Darkwood(where we've spent previous cruise days at both as well).

Thanks for excellent feedback about RunBusBeach, Skai.

Question: How was the entry into the water? was there a sharp drop-off of the sand level few feet into the water-line?

This has been a problem at many Antigua beaches (Even Turner has that issue) and hence the question.

11 hours ago, Skai said:

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

Question: How was the entry into the water? was there a sharp drop-off of the sand level few feet into the water-line?

This has been a problem at many Antigua beaches (Even Turner has that issue) and hence the question.

As there is a steel drop off at Jacqui O's, so one would assume it would be the same.

4 hours ago, hal2008 said:

I have to refresh my memory, as all of our port stops were beach days on our last cruise...

IIRC, yes there was a little bit of drop off a few feet in.  Perhaps a foot or two down.  I don't remember it being much of an issue getting in, but exiting the water did require a little bit of an 'ooomph' to climb back out.  

The weather/water was pretty calm the day that we were there, with some lapping waves.  So, when wanting to leave the water, I found that timing the exit with an incoming wave gave a little helping push to get out.

I presume that you're asking this question in relation to people that may have mobility issues.  I would state that for those folks, the mild drop-off could be a concern.  However, it's fine for those w/out any mobility issues.  I hope that helps answer your question.

I do remember seeing a sort of rounded sand bar up the beach (closer to Jacqui O's/on the other side of OJ's beach bar).  It looked as if it might have a shallower entry.  There were a few folks wading in there.  However, I never went up to investigate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hal2008 said:

the real exchange rate is 1 USD = 2.7 ECD

This is correct. 

It is a fixed rate, and they do have calculators on hand at Rum Bus.😉

I would be happy to answer any other questions about Rum Bus. 

We really like the beaches on that part of the island.  Having already been to Turner's and Darkwood before, we were looking for something different to do this visit.  Rum Bus is a fairly newer spot, so we thought we'd give it a try.  Being right off the road, was a plus for us (as opposed to Ffryes/Dennis Beach Bar which we also considered).  

We like to hop on the #26 bus. At $3 per couple each way, it softens the price of an $18.50 burger a little. 😄

4 hours ago, jbiker said:

Did they have any loungers right on the sand or was everything closer to the bar area? Thanks for the review!

Think all beds are all around the bar area.  Heard this was to Police any 'own' food/drink being smuggled in, and to encourage the purchase of food/drinks in exchange for beds etc.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:53 AM, jbiker said:

Did they have any loungers right on the sand or was everything closer to the bar area? Thanks for the review!

No loungers directly on the beach, but the beach is only a few steps away from the lawn.  The beach was closer than the bar were we were located.  

Here's a picture looking down the lawn.  There was a break in the roped fence(not shown in pic) right in front of our cabana, with a short access down to the beach.  There was also another pathway located at the further end.  

P1012170 (1).JPG

On 1/2/2020 at 4:48 PM, Skai said:

This is correct. 

It is a fixed rate, and they do have calculators on hand at Rum Bus.😉

I would be happy to answer any other questions about Rum Bus. 

We really like the beaches on that part of the island.  Having already been to Turner's and Darkwood before, we were looking for something different to do this visit.  Rum Bus is a fairly newer spot, so we thought we'd give it a try.  Being right off the road, was a plus for us (as opposed to Ffryes/Dennis Beach Bar which we also considered).  

We like to hop on the #26 bus. At $3 per couple each way, it softens the price of an $18.50 burger a little. 😄

How would you compare Rum Bus to Turner's & Darkwood? Do you have a picture of the food & drink menu? Did they have cabanas large enough to accommodate 7 people?

1 hour ago, Ronaldo807 said:

How would you compare Rum Bus to Turner's & Darkwood? Do you have a picture of the food & drink menu? Did they have cabanas large enough to accommodate 7 people?

Menus are on their website....

Link

https://www.rumbusbeach.com/#menu-book-title

scroll down

Don't about 7 pax, but you can always book 2/3 in advance, just contact them direct.

Difference?  No T'erds at Rum Bus

Edited by PORT ROYAL
7 pax
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronaldo807 said:

We went to Turner's 10 years ago on our first visit to Antigua.  After a private taxi tour (including Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights etc.), we arranged to be dropped off for the afternoon with a scheduled pick-up time to return to the ship.

I'm not sure if it's changed much, but we generally enjoyed our time there.  I do recall that there were a few vendors on the beach, the 'aloe guy', hair-braider, another hawking CDs of his (island)music, etc.  For the most part they were friendly.  It's understandable that they're trying to make a buck, but we generally prefer to avoid being solicited...  Not as bad as other places we've been, as once they heard "No thank you", they remembered and weren't asking us again 20 min. later.

As with most places in that part of the Caribbean, the beach and water were nice.

I do remember that the service in the restaurant was a little on the slow side, and a bit indifferent towards us.  Could have been bad day, but we didn't really feel the 'love' so-to-speak.  More like, we we're simply another couple of cruise tourists for the staff.  Same thing, different day.

The conch fritters were decent, and the beer was cold. 

IIRC they had a garden hose to rinse off with.

We were @ Darkwood a few years ago..  Not 100% sure, but I think I remember that loungers were complimentary -- as long as one was ordering from the bar/restaurant.  We spent most of the day there.  Once again, nice beach/water.  It seemed to be a little less crowded than I remember Turner's.  There were a couple guys trying to hawk jet-ski rentals.  A few would come racing in and out during the day, but it was pretty mellow for the most part... A handful of tourists lounging in front of the restaurant, or one could also stroll up the beach a little ways, and have an entire stretch to themselves.

There were (rustic) changing rooms, bathrooms and a freshwater shower on site.  We had some beers/drinks, but didn't eat at the restaurant, opting to eat a late lunch once we got back to St. John.

It was a pleasant day.  I remember just soaking in the ocean, thinking how nice it was.

However, on our way to RumBus this time, driving past Darkwood, I noticed that it looks as if they erected some sort of floating water park out in front of the beach.  A bunch of inflatable junk.  The youth may like it, but I think those sorts of set-ups spoil the view/natural beauty..  Not sure if it was a temporary, or if it's a more permanent installation.

As for RumBus...

It's an entirely different scene.  Both Turner's and Darkwood have more of a public beach feel, whereas the stretch of beach where RumBus is located is a little more secluded.  While a few people may stroll up that way for a bit from Turner's down at the other end, there were much less people on the beach right out front.  At any time while we were there, less than 10 people(including us two) on the beach, or in the water.  There were also a handful of people a little ways up out in front of Jackie O's

We arrived at RumBus before the(bar/restaurant) opened(10:30a), but they still set us up with first pick of the cabanas.  A few others showed up a little later to spend the day in a couple of the other cabanas, and a handful only for lunch.  It was pretty low-key the day we were there.

The shaded cabana was a nice private place to have our lunch, and also to get out of the sun and relax for a spell.  The padded furniture was comfortable.

One family of four(maybe five) showed up.  They were down at the very end.  It looked like they were able to all enjoy the cabana.  I would say that the benches/table at any one time is best for 4.   Sure, it might be possible to squeeze six at the table, but it might be tight.  There are only two sun loungers out front of the cabanas, but I'm sure the staff could grab a couple extras and bring them closer. 

Keep in mind -- The cabanas are priced $6 per person 1-(?), and they're first come-first serve.  With a larger group, I would consider snagging two(or even three) cabanas next to each other.  They're situated fairly close to each other.  

Another poster in this thread linked their website(which has a link to their menu) above.  The food that we ordered (Burgers/Chicken poppers/Fries) was pretty tasty.

And yes.. the beach/water was nice.

All in all, one can't really go wrong with any of the choices.  We enjoyed our day(s) at all three different spots. 

Sun, sand, water, refreshments repeat.

Well that's about it,  usually I'm not as so long-winded.  I guess you caught me on a good day.

Edited by Skai
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 1:52 AM, Skai said:

We went to Turner's 10 years ago on our first visit to Antigua.  After a private taxi tour (including Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights etc.), we arranged to be dropped off for the afternoon with a scheduled pick-up time to return to the ship.

I'm not sure if it's changed much, but we generally enjoyed our time there.  I do recall that there were a few vendors on the beach, the 'aloe guy', hair-braider, another hawking CDs of his (island)music, etc.  For the most part they were friendly.  It's understandable that they're trying to make a buck, but we generally prefer to avoid being solicited...  Not as bad as other places we've been, as once they heard "No thank you", they remembered and weren't asking us again 20 min. later.

As with most places in that part of the Caribbean, the beach and water were nice.

I do remember that the service in the restaurant was a little on the slow side, and a bit indifferent towards us.  Could have been bad day, but we didn't really feel the 'love' so-to-speak.  More like, we we're simply another couple of cruise tourists for the staff.  Same thing, different day.

The conch fritters were decent, and the beer was cold. 

IIRC they had a garden hose to rinse off with.

We were @ Darkwood a few years ago..  Not 100% sure, but I think I remember that loungers were complimentary -- as long as one was ordering from the bar/restaurant.  We spent most of the day there.  Once again, nice beach/water.  It seemed to be a little less crowded than I remember Turner's.  There were a couple guys trying to hawk jet-ski rentals.  A few would come racing in and out during the day, but it was pretty mellow for the most part... A handful of tourists lounging in front of the restaurant, or one could also stroll up the beach a little ways, and have an entire stretch to themselves.

There were (rustic) changing rooms, bathrooms and a freshwater shower on site.  We had some beers/drinks, but didn't eat at the restaurant, opting to eat a late lunch once we got back to St. John.

It was a pleasant day.  I remember just soaking in the ocean, thinking how nice it was.

However, on our way to RumBus this time, driving past Darkwood, I noticed that it looks as if they erected some sort of floating water park out in front of the beach.  A bunch of inflatable junk.  The youth may like it, but I think those sorts of set-ups spoil the view/natural beauty..  Not sure if it was a temporary, or if it's a more permanent installation.

As for RumBus...

It's an entirely different scene.  Both Turner's and Darkwood have more of a public beach feel, whereas the stretch of beach where RumBus is located is a little more secluded.  While a few people may stroll up that way for a bit from Turner's down at the other end, there were much less people on the beach right out front.  At any time while we were there, less than 10 people(including us two) on the beach, or in the water.  There were also a handful of people a little ways up out in front of Jackie O's

We arrived at RumBus before the(bar/restaurant) opened(10:30a), but they still set us up with first pick of the cabanas.  A few others showed up a little later to spend the day in a couple of the other cabanas, and a handful only for lunch.  It was pretty low-key the day we were there.

The shaded cabana was a nice private place to have our lunch, and also to get out of the sun and relax for a spell.  The padded furniture was comfortable.

One family of four(maybe five) showed up.  They were down at the very end.  It looked like they were able to all enjoy the cabana.  I would say that the benches/table at any one time is best for 4.   Sure, it might be possible to squeeze six at the table, but it might be tight.  There are only two sun loungers out front of the cabanas, but I'm sure the staff could grab a couple extras and bring them closer. 

Keep in mind -- The cabanas are priced $6 per person 1-(?), and they're first come-first serve.  With a larger group, I would consider snagging two(or even three) cabanas next to each other.  They're situated fairly close to each other.  

Another poster in this thread linked their website(which has a link to their menu) above.  The food that we ordered (Burgers/Chicken poppers/Fries) was pretty tasty.

And yes.. the beach/water was nice.

All in all, one can't really go wrong with any of the choices.  We enjoyed our day(s) at all three different spots. 

Sun, sand, water, refreshments repeat.

Well that's about it,  usually I'm not as so long-winded.  I guess you caught me on a good day.

I finally got a hold of them today. They quoted me $10USD per person and that includes a rum punch or soft drink. Children ages 3 & under are free. They also said a taxi there is $20 per person each way. I will have to look further into the taxi rates because that seems high compared to what I found when i was beginning my research last year. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo807 said:

I finally got a hold of them today. They quoted me $10USD per person and that includes a rum punch or soft drink. Children ages 3 & under are free. They also said a taxi there is $20 per person each way. I will have to look further into the taxi rates because that seems high compared to what I found when i was beginning my research last year. 

Private Taxi to Jacqui O's is usually $30 total including tip.  Should be the same for Rum Bus as they a short distance apart.