Strategies for the dastardly life boat drill?

Clampram

Don't bash me! I love Princess and I love my safety and that of my hubby. The lifeboat drill is very important, of course

For the last bunch of cruises, the life boat drill has been making me crazy. We like to be on the Lido forward for a cabin, so our assigned area for the drill seems to always be the art gallery. Since we are prompt and we do what we are told, we always get there early. There is no where to sit and everyone ends up standing in this crowded space for over an hour. The presentation is usually about 15 minutes and then it's a mad stampede for the elevators/stairs.The presentation is so "dumbed down" I find myself gritting my teeth.

What can I do to get through this drill and come out smiling? Drink more???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clampram said:

Don't bash me! I love Princess and I love my safety and that of my hubby. The lifeboat drill is very important, of course

For the last bunch of cruises, the life boat drill has been making me crazy. We like to be on the Lido forward for a cabin, so our assigned area for the drill seems to always be the art gallery. Since we are prompt and we do what we are told, we always get there early. There is no where to sit and everyone ends up standing in this crowded space for over an hour. The presentation is usually about 15 minutes and then it's a mad stampede for the elevators/stairs.The presentation is so "dumbed down" I find myself gritting my teeth.

Book a cabin that has a muster station with plenty of seats.  Get there early to get a comfortable seats.  Take a device with something to read or a game to play.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

Book a cabin that has a muster station with plenty of seats.  Get there early to get a comfortable seats.  Take a device with something to read or a game to play.

Yep, I'll take my Kindle with me.

We love the forward Lido deck for cabins so I don't want to change that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clampram said:

Just don't go ... and you'll be invited to a private session ... no muss,  no fuss 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Maybe the solution is to go down a deck or two after it's over and wait somewhere  for the crowds to move out. Trouble is that is usually the time that you want to go to your cabin and start getting ready for dinner and unpack.

"just don't go'???...…… I wouldn't do that

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If your waiting over an hour for muster to begin why do you get there so early?

Especially if no seats are available. 

Last 2 times we went as soon as they announced it because we thought we would find a seat....there are about 2 chairs in there.Hubby had a torn meniscus and he still had to stand

OP must be referring to the Royal or Regal. We had the art area on the Royal. Not the best location. If you are assigned to that location arrive late to minimize the standing.

Other Royal cabin sections further aft have seated areas.

Grand Class ships have mostly seated lounges where those that arrive early can obtain a seat.

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

go early, take up semi permanent residence (drink in hand) in a location with a good view of the room. When the festivities start, pay mind to the folks in the room as these could be the ones that you will have to spend time with in an cramped environment for hours if not days on end. Take careful note of mannerisms and traits,  all the while sipping a refreshing beverage and quietly saying to yourself .... Oh h311 no !

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Clampram said:

Last 2 times we went as soon as they announced it because we thought we would find a seat....there are about 2 chairs in there.Hubby had a torn meniscus and he still had to stand

If you want a seat, don't wait until the drill is announced - go early and take a book or a kindle if you feel you need something to fill in the time.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you want a seat, don't wait until the drill is announced - go early and take a book or a kindle if you feel you need something to fill in the time.

The point of the post is that there are only 2 chairs there. Doesn’t matter how early they get there.

• Like 2

Princess really needs to get their act together, really badly organised compared to other cruise lines. Last cruise we were directed to theatre, no just go to wheel house bar, it’s full just stand somewhere,  start drill, nearly over and automated one from bridge comes in, let’s do it again meanwhile people just about keeling over from length of time standing in hot stuffy area.

who knows how they would cope in a real emergency.

oh I forgot the other drill on a sea day, where rough conditions made standing just about impossible but jammed into wheelhouse bar again

10 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

oh I forgot the other drill on a sea day, where rough conditions made standing just about impossible but jammed into wheelhouse bar again

Drill on a sea day? Have never had that happen! I also have never been directed to go from our designated area to another one...

If I recall correctly, there's usually a "Make up" muster drill on the schedule for passengers who may have missed the first one for some reason.  Maybe see if you could arrange to attend that one instead, explaining the physical limitation?

• Like 1