VERY SAD NEWS....Heavy Heart

hcat

I am so saddened by this post.  I first “met” vtcruiser about a year ago before our Edge preview cruise.  I so enjoyed her insight and willingness to share with fellow cruisers.  Whether it was a full blown review or a whimsical survey, she really kept us in the loop of all things Celebrity.  

Such sad news. While I never met her in person, on-line she was knowledgeable, considerate, and caring. A rarity on many forums these days! I always knew that if I was reading a post by her, it could be trusted and would be fair. She will be missed. My Edge experience last month wouldn't have been the same without her sage advice. My deepest condolences to Henry and all who knew her.

• Like 2

Saddened to hear this news. In the short time I have been on the Celebrity board she was one of the kindest and most helpful posters on the board and helped ease the concerns we had about switching to a new cruise line. 

Condolences to her family and friends. 

cgolf

• Like 1

There is something special about a person who truly enjoys contributing to the betterment and enjoyment of others.  With her knowledge, insight, opinions and critiques, Marilyn was an important and multi- faceted contributor to the CC Forums. In particular, she was thoughtful and respectful of everyone. Like many others, my only contact was through Cruise Critic. As involved as Marilyn was, she could not help but become a source and a friend to all. 

• Like 6

Dear Celebrity Cruise Critic Community,

My name is Carrie and I am Marilyn’s (VT Cruiser’s) youngest daughter. I just joined the Boards to learn more about the impact my mother has had on this community. Posting, researching, information sharing and building community on here was such a passion of hers, that it feels good to be connected to you all. Although my father Henry, sisters Sarah and Leah, brother, Jason (and countless friends and family) are devastated, we find great comfort and solace in your kind words. So I thank you. Please keep posting and sharing your thoughts of our wonderful, beloved Marilyn.

Additionally, for those who may want to know, we are having a celebration of her life next Sunday, December 8 in Burlington, VT. I know it’s not possible for most to come but we would love for any of those who knew my mother to send stories or any type of reading that can be shared aloud during this celebration. We are yearning for those kinds of stories. Reach out to me if you think you may want to make it. 

Finally, we are going to find a way sometime in the near future to reach out to Celebrity to see about having some kind of memorial or recognition in some way (perhaps on the Edge), so if anyone has ideas or connections to help make this happen please, please reach out to me. 

Please keep those messages coming on this post and also message me privately on here or at carriebenis at gmail.com with readings or thoughts for commemoration. I will also post the link to the obituary here as soon as it’s published.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart,

Carrie 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Carrie and family,

We share your shock at the sudden and devastating passing of this wonderful person.  I am guessing she would be surprised and pleased to know she is so fondly remembered in the CC community.  Our condolences to you and her family and friends.  

Joanie and Rolf

• Like 1

How lovely to hear from you Carrie, your Mother would have been so proud of you to take time out and remember all her friends on CC at this devastating time. Did not know her personally but knew from her posts that she was a very caring lady. I send you loving thoughts and hope you and all your family will come through this terrible loss.

Noreen

Dear Carrie,

Thanks for letting us know that your family is seeing these posts.  Your mom set a wonderful standard for caring and helpful posts on Cruise Critic which I hope we can all strive to follow.  You must be proud to be her daughter.

Condolences to you all during this time of loss!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VtCruisingCarrie said:

Dear Carrie..

Your words sound so much like those of your beautiful mom. So much compassion, while you yourself grieve.  A woman of valor! 

I am in Florida,  or  Sal and I would have tried to be there at the Celebration of her Life. She was so  much more to many of us  than  just a cruising friend, as I believe you know. I will send my thoughts  and prayers to you and your family!

Please let me and the others know how we can support  you  in efforts to get a memorial or plaque on EDGE. I  had the same thought.  Without question, she was the # 1 "EDGIE " as some of us call ourselves.   She had many fav areas on the EDGE, but something in the nice seating area of guest Relations might be a good location. 

Prayers of Peace to your family!

Hcat....

Edited by hcat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh I'm so so sorry to hear this news. Marilyn was so kind to me with all my questions as I went on the inaugural Edge Cruises and was so excited. I was glued to CC to get all of her great updates and she was so sweet to me and excited for the cabin i was able to secure.

With sadness,

Aimee from Minnesota 

• Like 1

Such a loss for the Celebrity Cruise Critic community. Though we never met, I followed every post of her "Living on the Edge" live report, parts I & II. Her comments were always laced with cheerful overtones... you could truly sense her happiness, joy, and genuine zest for life and love of cruising. My sincerest condolences for your family.

• Like 1

I’m shocked and so sad! We are on the Reflection now and with all the rush to get out of town on Thanksgiving day I’ve just now seen this news. It is hard to grasp. She will be missed by her cyber friends. Her knowledge, wit and grace will be greatly missed. RIP Marilyn

• Like 1

It takes a very special person to engender a sense of loss, even if you never met in real life.  Marilyn / VT Cruiser is a special person.  We’ve gained much from her knowledge & posts over the years.  I believe she started a new poll / thread this week.  Marilyn, you will be missed.   To the  family & loved ones - she will live forever in your hearts & memories.   Our thoughts are with you.  

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 3

Oh my goodness, have just wandered over to the Celebrity Boards and found this terrible news. In some way I've always seen Vtcruiser more as a friend as we shared many threads, all the excitement of the launch of EDGE and her trying to find out about the cabin we had planned for our anniversary cruise in August. She was always happy to help anyone and share her passion for CC and the EDGE.

We are deeply saddened by this news and I think we are not alone when we say that, though we never meet, we feel like we grieve for a friend that we have known and met. Our heartfelt deepest sympathies and prayers go to her family.

The thread about EDGE cabins will stay there for a long time as testament to her passion for CC and this forum.

• Like 2

Dear Carrie and Family,

While I did not know your beloved Marilyn outside of this forum, her generosity of heart and enthusiasm for sharing her experience and helping others was evident and will live on in her legacy of posts on this forum. 

Over the next months you will get to know more about your Mom and her selfless character through many communities that she influenced like this one.

She provided suggestions for my upcoming cruise and I will miss sharing my experience with her. You know someone is unique when they influence someone from afar like that. 

Carrie, my deepest condolences and my wish is that you find some peace in seeing g the influence your Mom had as you discover her broad reach during this most difficult time.

Sincerely,

Janine

• Like 1

Dear Carrie.  God Bless You and your family.  Thank you for your post in this very difficult time.  We as a community are grieving and you have helped us tremendously by posting here.  Please let us know if there is any type of acknowledgement, charity, favorite cause or anything that we can do or contribute in your mother's memory.  

• Like 2

I don't have any inside contacts at Celebrity, but I would be willing to write them or sign a petition to them asking for some kind of permanent memorial to Marilyn on the Edge. I can't think of anyone who would be more deserving of such an honor.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Dear Carrie.  God Bless You and your family.  Thank you for your post in this very difficult time.  We as a community are grieving and you have helped us tremendously by posting here.  Please let us know if there is any type of acknowledgement, charity, favorite cause or anything that we can do or contribute in your mother's memory.  

Great idea,...hope Family will let us know.  Maybe something that helps neonatal health programs. Hope Cruise Critic will permit such a post  as I am sure they realize how much she has contributed to CC . She energized the Community and was a great "influencer!" Let's keep the EDGE sticky going.

• Like 3