Do you get a passport for my kids?

Eli_6

9 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I’ve said it before and say it again that everyone should have a passport, especially if you travel outside of the USA (including going on Cruises).  It’s more useful than a drivers license and provides more travel options.

Americans are the only nation that are arrogant enough to even have such a discussion as In every other country, people use passports to travel outside of their country .

All travel outside of the US isn't created equal and US citizens have choices to make when it comes to many travel scenarios and some people just don't travel at all (crossing the land border is not equatable with jetting off to Europe). We're arrogant enough to have the discussion because our government gives us choices. I traveled extensively without a passport up until 2015 and exceptions exist that would allow someone to do the same thing today.

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I’ve said it before and say it again that everyone should have a passport, especially if you travel outside of the USA (including going on Cruises).  It’s more useful than a drivers license and provides more travel options.

Americans are the only nation that are arrogant enough to even have such a discussion as In every other country, people use passports to travel outside of their country .

A passport is only useful for international travel. Not everyone wants to travel internationally and not everyone can.  I think everyone should travel internationally but we are blessed with a lot of wonderful travel options that don’t require traveling across a border. As far as cruises when I tell friends and neighbors I am going on a cruise the next two weeks most have never been on one and only a few express any interest in taking one. Most of them do travel internationally though often for work reasons so that is why they have passports.

I would not say everyone should have a passport book because that would be arrogant. The US government recognizes that. Thus EDL licenses and passport cards. Birth Certificates on Closed Loop Cruises. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

You sound arrogant with this statement, about 3.5% of Americans travel overseas each year. There are millions who will never have opportunities to travel.

17 hours ago, clo said:

You travel domestically with your passport? Or, I'm guessing, that all your flying is intl.

I have used my passport for ID domestically also.

It is a Government issued ID. 🙂

But, most times, for domestic only, I just use my DL.

I have not, but my ex has used her Gov ID.  One agent got bent out of shape that her reservation did not match her DL (she did not use her first name).  And her work had made the travel arrangements, so did not use her first name.  So she pulled out her Gov ID, which did not have her first name.  Agent blustered that TSA would not accept that.  We just smiled.  Ex worked at DHS headquarters.  I don't think any TSA agent would try to say a DHS ID was not acceptable. 😄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm guessing that he means the first two IDs would be sufficient but the passport is available as a backup should some under-trained TSA agent reject the first two.

Actually, just pointing out that I typically carry 3 IDs that would allow me to board a domestic flight.

We have an extended family cruise coming up in May 2020...all four of the grandkids (all parents are traveling too) the kids have expired passports but think we'll just use their birth certificates for this closed loop cruise.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, sparks1093 said:

You overachiever you.🤣

Actually, I may have more than that, but I can't talk about it on the forum. 😄

Oh, I do have one more, my Global Entry card. 😄

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, mjkacmom said:

You sound arrogant with this statement, about 3.5% of Americans travel overseas each year. There are millions who will never have opportunities to travel.

I think your statistics need a lot of work.  According Traveler magazine, 80 million Americans travelled abroad in 2016

Thats a lot of passports that already exist

“Even in the midst of heightened fears the safety and security of the world, a record number of Americans traveled abroad in 2016, according to recent data from the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO). Specifically, 80.2 million, a seven percent increase over the previous year, which was a record-setter in its own right, at 73.4 million travelers.”

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

9 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I think your statistics need a lot of work.  According Traveler magazine, 80 million Americans travelled abroad in 2016

Thats a lot of passports that already exist

“Even in the midst of heightened fears the safety and security of the world, a record number of Americans traveled abroad in 2016, according to recent data from the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO). Specifically, 80.2 million, a seven percent increase over the previous year, which was a record-setter in its own right, at 73.4 million travelers.”

Regardless of the numbers the previous poster's statement "There are millions who will never have opportunities to travel." is spot on and most relevant as a reply to your post.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Regardless of the numbers the previous poster's statement "There are millions who will never have opportunities to travel." is spot on and most relevant as a reply to your post.

I disagree and believe the key thing people saw was 3% which would equate to 9 million people versus the real number of 80 million.

The US has 327 million people so even if 95% of people travelled abroad, that still leaves “millions” who don’t travel

abroad which is spot on but irrelevant so the real numbers are more important than percentages is all I’m trying to say.

i guess I’m very passionate on this topic that Americans (including me) should have a passport to travel anywhere abroad, including cruise destinations.

4 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I disagree and believe the key thing people saw was 3% which would equate to 9 million people versus the real number of 80 million.

The US has 327 million people so even if 95% of people travelled abroad, that still leaves “millions” who don’t travel

abroad which is spot on but irrelevant so the real numbers are more important than percentages is all I’m trying to say.

i guess I’m very passionate on this topic that Americans (including me) should have a passport to travel anywhere abroad, including cruise destinations.

It's okay to be passionate, I'm passionate that people should make the choice that makes the best sense for them based on their needs and their personal risk factors. All travel abroad isn't created equally- I can leave the country by turning left out of my driveway and driving 8 miles and that isn't the same as flying to Europe. A 3 day cruise to the Bahamas isn't the same as a cruise through the Panama Canal. The last numbers I saw indicated that less than 45% of US citizens hold a passport and maybe that should be the number of focus, who knows. All I know is that our government gives us a choice what to use in certain situations and what someone chooses doesn't affect you or what you choose to use.

4 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Would be important to know how their numbers were obtained. Is that 80 million American passport holding individuals, 80 million travelers, or 80 million trips taken by an unknown number of individuals. May be any of the above. I say the percentages are important as the population is constantly changing. For instance, is the rate of newly issued passports mirroring the rate of population growth.

Bottom line—the numbers and percentages make no difference to you or me.

The point is, we have a choice in some instances whether to use a passport or not. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

All I know is that our government gives us a choice what to use in certain situations and what someone chooses doesn't affect you or what you choose to use.

I would venture to say that it’s likely not only what your own government allows to be able to return after your cruise but also of the government of the countries you visit, which could change as time goes on.

Having a passport for each family member simply for us takes the worry out of traveling to these foreign countries.

12 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I would venture to say that it’s likely not only what your own government allows to be able to return after your cruise but also of the government of the countries you visit, which could change as time goes on.

Having a passport for each family member simply for us takes the worry out of traveling to these foreign countries.

In the years since the WHTI has been enacted only one port has changed it's requirement and that is Martinique, but yes, things could change which is why even experienced travelers would be well advised to double check requirements as their trip gets closer (and even if they have a passport, since even visa requirements can change). I'm glad that your choice works for you, I had no worries about my travels because I did my due diligence and researched what was needed.  

7 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Your own government is going to allow you to return. 

Before every trip people need to review what documents are required. 

Having a passport does not take the worry out of traveling to foreign countries. It’s just one document. For many countries you need more than a passport to visit. Many countries require a Visa. Some countries require you to show a return ticket or a ticket to a further destination. There can be limits on the length of stay even with a passport. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Would be important to know how their numbers were obtained. Is that 80 million American passport holding individuals, 80 million travelers, or 80 million trips taken by an unknown number of individuals. May be any of the above. I say the percentages are important as the population is constantly changing. For instance, is the rate of newly issued passports mirroring the rate of population growth.

Bottom line—the numbers and percentages make no difference to you or me.

The point is, we have a choice in some instances whether to use a passport or not. 

The quote said - Specifically, 80.2 million, a seven percent increase over the previous year, which was a record-setter in its own right, at 73.4 million travelers.

So I read that is 73.4 million people traveled on 80.2 million trips.

So most people traveled only once that year.  Some traveled a lot more.  In 2016, I made about 8 international trips.

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Your own government is going to allow you to return. 

But the airline may not allow you to board to get back to your country.

Visas and such are required to get INTO the other country.   

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

The quote said - Specifically, 80.2 million, a seven percent increase over the previous year, which was a record-setter in its own right, at 73.4 million travelers.

So I read that is 73.4 million people traveled on 80.2 million trips.

So most people traveled only once that year.  Some traveled a lot more.  In 2016, I made about 8 international trips.

I can understand why there is so much confusion on this site 🙂 You read that the two numbers were trips and travelers, but I read that in 2016 there were 80.2 million travelers - an 7% increase over 2015's record setting 73.4 million travelers.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I can understand why there is so much confusion on this site 🙂 You read that the two numbers were trips and travelers, but I read that in 2016 there were 80.2 million travelers - an 7% increase over 2015's record setting 73.4 million travelers.

Actually, reading it again, I agree with your reading.  Except, it is an 9.26% increase from 73.4 to 80.2. 😄

• Thanks 1