NCL Star wireless headphone tv connect? How to watch tv without disturbing others?

chicail16

Hi,

Don't won't to disturb traveling companion while sleeping and I'm trying to watch tv before bed.  Can you hook up some kind of wireless transmitter to the back of tv and use bluetooth wireless headphones?

Can you hook up portable dvd player on their tv's?

Thanks for any help.

14 hours ago, chicail16 said:

Hi,

Don't won't to disturb traveling companion while sleeping and I'm trying to watch tv before bed.  Can you hook up some kind of wireless transmitter to the back of tv and use bluetooth wireless headphones?

Can you hook up portable dvd player on their tv's?

Thanks for any help.

I don't believe there are any inputs on cabin TV. 

The back panel of the cabin TVs may or may not have the connections you need.

While one could presume that all the cabin TVs on board (except suites/Haven) are the same

this may not be true. During dry-dock over the past few years all the CRT (old bulky clunky) TVs

have been replaced with the flat screen type. Pretty much all the same - commercial industrial

one size all the same. In some of the cabins there may not be much room to access the ports -

the flat screen mounted flush with the cabin bulkhead wall.

If you bring a portable compact DVD player you may be able to connect it - if you bring a laptop

with DVD/CD drive you may be able use that mode for movies and music depending on the

ports (USB - other).

You may be able to jerry-rig a connection via the NCL in house wire (RG 59 RG6) the connector

that screws into back of the TV for receiving the NCL channels.

You would need AUDIO output jacks for using the headphones

A lot would depend on your ability to work around the existing system with your own bag of tricks

connection devices.

And maybe one of CC Readers will have some ideas for you - BUT First what ship are you on ?

If you are a in suite or Haven where there is perhaps more room to nose around the back panel

and/or larger flat screen TV you maybe able to work some magic.

But I would not pack the whole house entertainment package - a lot of excess baggage !

Consider a laptop or tablet preloaded with your entertainment and headphones.

• Haha 1

Just my two cents, from past experience - since some of know, I travel with (not just with cruises) with variety of tech gadgets & gears, sometimes tailored to the facilities & lodging's provisioning ...

Unless I missed it entirely (quite possible) - newer HDTV onboard NCL ships are typically Sole & LG branded hospitality models, with no audio jack and/or componenet/composite audio jacks ... ditto with hijacking attempts against your own HDMI source/signals feed into the HD monitor.  Setup/function settings are firmware locked and/or limited to its intended input (whether it's HDMI, coaxial or ethernet-based source.)

If you can setup a working/pass-thru HDMI connection to the stateroom's HDTV via a notebook/laptop, you are run your bluetooth or direct Dolby-stero audio output into whatever.  

As for "watching" re-runs offered on NCL's limited video channel, I don't really care for it - not much worth spending time on a cruise, to fall asleep on - unless you have free/unlimited access to the rotating, current selection of PPV movies/shows (typically, Haven & suite guests only ... all others, it's $$)  

The time & effort to do this, just not worth the trouble and resources, to try to override or bypass what the HDTV is limited to - maybe, okay, if we are on a T/A with 3 or 4+ sea days and worried about not having things to do.  

Thanks for all the input.  I'm on the Star.  I located some soft ear buds for sleeping and noise cancellation.  I will download some soft music and hopefully this will do the trick while someone is sleeping and the other wants to watch television.