SAS shuttle service?

beshears

I had never heard of SAS shuttle service until I started asking questions on CruiseCritic.  If you have used this service within the past year, would you please give me YOUR pros/cons of the service?  Also do you prepay, or pay after the pickup is done?

JohninDC, thank you for your reply.  So if we booked SAS shuttle "on line," which it says to do, and they come and pick us up, then we pay them once they deliver us to where we want to go, is that right?  The places we would want to be picked up possibly would be Ft. Lauderdale Airport taking us to a hotel of our choice in Ft. Lauderdale.  Maybe shuttle service to the Maimi cruise port if the hotel didn't have it.  Also pick up from the Maimi cruise port to go to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport.

We used the SAS website to find out which FLL hotels they pick up from.  I then checked the hotels listed, found one which suited our budget, and booked that and the SAS pickup.  The hotel will provide shuttle from airport to hotel, SAS will take us to POM the following day.  We will probably use SAS from POM to FLL airport.

We used SAS quite a while ago (almost 6 years) - they picked us up at Ft Lauderdale Airport and we were brought to our hotel in Miami (took a cab from Miami hotel to Miami Port) and they were scheduled to pick us up at ship in Miami and take us back to Ft Lauderdale Airport. Unfortunately, we had quite a bit of snow in NY area the day we were to return and flights were cancelled.

We ended up having to cancel their pick up early that morning and they were very understanding- no problem with the late cancellation. We ended up staying in Miami when we got off the ship because the best flight change we could make at the time was an early Sunday flight from Miami.

The bottom line is that they were very accommodating and I would have no issue using them any time.

Hope this helps

Jed

• Like 2

Well it hasn't been within the last year, but we have used them in the past and had issues. I swore I would never use them again (I honestly can't remember what the issue was and I'd have to go back and figure out which review it was in). We used another company, like SAS, after that and wasn't happy with their service either. 

Then we discovered Uber and Lyft....ahhh, the savings we have had since that are great! It doesn't cost much, you're not paying for each person, you are just paying for the ride and did I mention it's cheap? Plus, you are not sitting around waiting for a transportation service to pick you up, going around to each hotel picking up more people, in a crowded van, and be on a schedule. With Uber or Lyft, you schedule when you are ready and they're usually there within 10 minutes and take you straight to the port. Of course, this is with 3 people, so if you increase the amount of people, it could potentially become more expensive but definitely worth checking out. You can download the app for either and put in your start and stop location in and it will give you an estimate (even before leaving for your cruise) and then you can see if it benefits you and if not, book with SAS. 

Just my opinion. 🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know about your situation with SAS.  Yes I have thought about using Lyft, or Uber, but I know they do cost more, or I have heard they do.  I do understand where your coming from in picking up others besides us, and cramming everyone in to the van, etc.

I will say I just called SAS, and of course they "recommended" that we book through their website, but I left a message as someone on here recommended that I call and ask for "Steve," which I did, and left a brief message.  Now whether he will return my call, that may be something else.  If anyone on here has had Steve call or return your call, please let me know. 

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thanks for letting me know about your situation with SAS.  Yes I have thought about using Lyft, or Uber, but I know they do cost more, or I have heard they do.  I do understand where your coming from in picking up others besides us, and cramming everyone in to the van, etc.

Hey no problem. I know that SAS charges $15/pp, which for example my family would cost $45 to get to Miami. Using Lyft or Uber, it has cost me (3 months ago from FLL to Miami) $26.88 for us. So that's a savings of $18.12. So definitely worth it to me to save almost $20 AND not share a ride and come and go when we want.

Just something to think about. ;)

Have an awesome cruise!

Second to last time in Ft.Lauderdale we tried to use Lift and a half hour later after getting stood up by them decided to call a cab from Hyatt Place to the airport. We had a really early flight before the Hyatt Place shuttle started in the morning. Cab was there in 5 min. Moral of our story, anyone can have issues with any service. We have used SAS many times from Ft.Lauderdale to Miami cruise port without any problems. Steve the owner has a bunch of vans working all day long, and nobody is cramed into his vans. They hold anywhere from 6-12 people each depending on route. We have never made more than 2 to 3 stops and then to the port of Miami.

Well I'm back again, and I appreciate receiving this "continue" advise in regard to the SAS shuttle.  As of yet, and it is 9:29PM I have not heard back from Steve or SAS shuttle, so I may not receive a call.  I did check out the prices of Lyft and Uber, and they do run from $40 - $45 for either, pp.  Yes I agree, $15 pp is much cheaper than the Lyft/Uber price.  Once my youngest son gets his flight booked, I will either book for 4 or 6 of us out of Ft. Lauderdale.  My one son is flying out of Miami.

13 minutes ago, beshears said:

I did check out the prices of Lyft and Uber, and they do run from $40 - $45 for either, pp. 

Is UBER  really PP ?

I have only done Uber recently  in SC but my sister ordered the car   & it was $30 total  for 4 of  us for about  a 30 min trip

In our experience using Uber in South Florida (and from a quick review of the Uber website covering Uber everywhere), the price is always per vehicle not per person.  That is why when traveling with 3 or more people Uber, Lyft or sometimes a van taxi (priced the same as sedans) is cheaper than a shuttle.  Do the math before making a decision.

52 minutes ago, beshears said:

Well I'm back again, and I appreciate receiving this "continue" advise in regard to the SAS shuttle.  As of yet, and it is 9:29PM I have not heard back from Steve or SAS shuttle, so I may not receive a call.  I did check out the prices of Lyft and Uber, and they do run from $40 - $45 for either, pp.  Yes I agree, $15 pp is much cheaper than the Lyft/Uber price.  Once my youngest son gets his flight booked, I will either book for 4 or 6 of us out of Ft. Lauderdale.  My one son is flying out of Miami.

maybe that’s why you are thinking it’s more expensive...Uber and lyft prices are a total for the trip, not per person. 😉

Uber and Lyft prices are for the car - just like a taxi - not per person like shared shuttles.

For 4-6 passengers plus bags you will need UberXL or maybe two standard UberX or Lyfts - price will work out about the same.  UberXL from FLL to POM will run about $70+ or you can get a standard UberX or Lyft for about $35+ for the car (should easily hold 3 plus bags)

Thank you for letting me know about Uber and the cost.  It didn't say one way or another if it was for the vehicle, or pp.  Is there anyway to call Uber, and find out for sure, or it is like SAS where you get the info through the website, and not with a REAL person?  For those of you who have used Uber, do I need an app, or can I just call/book through the website?  I would prefer to know "ahead" of time the cost, instead of being "surprised" when they tell me the cost when getting out of the vehicle.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thank you for letting me know about Uber and the cost.  It didn't say one way or another if it was for the vehicle, or pp.  Is there anyway to call Uber, and find out for sure, or it is like SAS where you get the info through the website, and not with a REAL person?  For those of you who have used Uber, do I need an app, or can I just call/book through the website?  I would prefer to know "ahead" of time the cost, instead of being "surprised" when they tell me the cost when getting out of the vehicle.

It's for sure. 😉  That's the way they both work. You are paying for the ride to/from, not the amount of people. We've been using them for years everywhere we go. No worries. 

You download the app (for both). You put in where you are going (your GPS on your phone will show your location...or if you want to know ahead of time...say you are at home now and want an estimate on the cost before deciding if you want to use Uber/Lyft or book with SAS, then type in the address where you will be getting picked up and where you will be going at the time and it will show you the different options to pick from and costs.) If you want to use them, you have to confirm the ride. There's a map on there showing you where all the drivers are (even one's that aren't yours) and you can see how far away they are (in minutes) and you'll be able to tell that there are tons of them around your area (trust me, there will be tons). Once you confirm your ride, it tells you the drivers name, what type of vehicle they are in, and what color. You will know exactly how far away they are and how many minutes until they pick you up. You can watch them on your "map" and see them coming and pulling up. It's so simple. 

That you for your replies.  I guess, even though I am old enough to know, I'm a little scared to take the plunge, but guess I'll try to do it next week, or shortly thereafter.  My son and d-i-l have still not made their arrangements before the cruise as they are in Mexico, so I am waiting to see if they will need transportation or be getting it on their own.

9 minutes ago, beshears said:

That you for your replies.  I guess, even though I am old enough to know, I'm a little scared to take the plunge, but guess I'll try to do it next week, or shortly thereafter.  My son and d-i-l have still not made their arrangements before the cruise as they are in Mexico, so I am waiting to see if they will need transportation or be getting it on their own.

Hey beshears, I know trying something new can sometimes be frightening. I feel the same way too. I know I've spoke with you on other occasions, which is why I decided to post on here when I seen you asking, and just wanted to help you out. Have you checked out my new cruise website? There is a contact page on there. If you want, you can contact me. I have some info for you.