price drop / re-book?

suec12

So I found better deal on a May cruise - I have little HAL experience in price machinations - I am booked with HAL, NOT TA. If I call to get re-booked on the new deal - will I keep the cabin I have? will I keep the air I have booked thru FlightEZ? (this is SUPER importatnt to me, as prices have increased for the flights) I assume the deposits / monies paid will just be figured into the new booking verification? Thanks!

One more thing - my current booking has an OBC from HAL. If I do not max out that OBC, does HAL put it back on my credit card at the end of the cruise?

Edited by suec12

2 minutes ago, suec12 said:

So I found better deal on a May cruise - I have little HAL experience in price machinations - I am booked with HAL, NOT TA. If I call to get re-booked on the new deal - will I keep the cabin I have? will I keep the air I have booked thru FlightEZ? (this is SUPER importatnt to me, as prices have increased for the flights) I assume the deposits / monies paid will just be figured into the new booking verification? Thanks!

You just want to be re-fared.  Call and tell them the price has dropped and you’d like to take advantage of it.  You should keep the same booking # you have now and anything you have reserved or pre-paid. (You don’t want to cancel and re-book as that will mean a new booking # and everything you have arranged will be cancelled.).

IF you had any perks, benefits with your current booking, you may well lose those but you will gain the new ones being offered.  Be sure to ask.

• Like 1

You need to call HAL.  Don’t use the word cancel.  You want to keep your booking with a price adjustment.   Be sure to compare perks etc to see which is best for you.  Some people prefer perks to bottom line price.   With a price adjustment, you keep anything else you have booked including your air/ pre or post hotel etc.  

Great advice so far.  I do this OFTEN - sometimes several times on a single cruise.  HOWEVER, be sure (as mentioned) to calculate out the net value of your cruise under the different promotions.  Recently, I REFARED my cruise to take advantage of a new promotion - it was $1000 less expensive than what I booked, but I had to give up about $1000 in onboard credits and perks, so basically it was a "wash", except that I would rather have the lower fare (cash in my pocket) as OBC can be difficult to spend at times (cannot prebook most things with it) - this worked great for me.

Another thing - I use a HAL PCC (personal cruise consultant) and when I want to refare I just send her an email explaining what I want to do.  Often I get a return email with the new invoice/receipt back within minutes that shows the new deal.  Very quick and easy!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Another thing - I use a HAL PCC (personal cruise consultant) and when I want to refare I just send her an email explaining what I want to do.  Often I get a return email with the new invoice/receipt back within minutes that shows the new deal.  Very quick and easy!

Another thing - I use a TA (Travel Agent).  I send her an email when I want to re-fare just like you do.  And, I often get a return email with the new invoice/receipt back within minutes that shows the new deal.  Very quick and easy!  

I also get a 10% discount over the cruise line price.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Regarding your question about OBC given to you by HAL, if you don't use it you lose it.  If it is given to you by a travel agent, it will be refunded to your credit card if you don't use it.

be careful with this. some OBC which seems to come from a TA is actually a pass thru from HAL such as Group Amenities. If that is the case, it would also be non refundable.

I just navigated this yesterday for the first time,  the guy on the phone was so helpful.  We booked a 12 night from Rome in Oct 2020 ( with free SBP) last week then received an email yesterday.  We re-fared and saved $500 and still got SBP plus free gratuities.  So ended up saving $850 in the space of 7 days.

Agree with using the word "refare".  We did that yesterday with the new black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.  Came out way ahead.  I just sent our TA an email and she took care of it.  Be sure when you call to have your  questions ready to discuss...room assignment, flight ease, OBC, etc. I find I need to make sure when I email my TA, I put down all my questions and concerns.  Otherwise, it may take a few emails or phone calls to get everything in order!!  

I really have no clue how to deal with price changes when booking direct with HAL (or any cruise line).  That is because we always book through favored cruise agencies/agents.  When we spot a price change we simply e-mail our cruise agent (this takes about 30 seconds).  Within a day we will get a return e-mail (sometimes a phone call) with a complete analysis of the new pricing options.  We do not have to spend any time on hold, looking at options, etc.  The agencies do the work and generally give us OBCs equal to 7-10% of the cruise fare (this is on top of any promotions from HAL).

Hank

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I really have no clue how to deal with price changes when booking direct with HAL (or any cruise line).  That is because we always book through favored cruise agencies/agents.  When we spot a price change we simply e-mail our cruise agent (this takes about 30 seconds).  Within a day we will get a return e-mail (sometimes a phone call) with a complete analysis of the new pricing options.  We do not have to spend any time on hold, looking at options, etc.  The agencies do the work and generally give us OBCs equal to 7-10% of the cruise fare (this is on top of any promotions from HAL).

Hank

Then, if you don’t know, how does this help the OP?  It works not much differently dealing with HAL.  It’s easy to refare

As for the remainder of your post..

747D886E-1948-46F2-ABD4-190773C1D2F0.gif.68b3387a6d56489ef86bd400dd2c6160.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We saw a lower price for our Christmas cruise during the summer.  Our PCC warned me we'd lose our Pinnacle lunch but nothing else, so yes, we asked her for the price adjustment, which saved us $1,200.  Afterwards, I noticed she'd also bumped up our already substantial onboard credit by $50 per person.  We were thrilled to say the least.  

OP, go ahead and call but make sure, as others have advised, that you not use the word cancel, but ask for price adjustment.  Good luck on saving some $$.

Edited by sevenseasnomad