New York sailing in March

letsgocruisin

Hi all,

i have sailed from New York before but on a Saturday or Sunday.   Our March cruise leaves on a Friday and I have 2 concerns.   First we are thinking of maybe driving on sail day from Boston.  For those who have ever done that how long was the drive on a Friday morning from Boston to the pier.   

Stressing about traffic and missing the ship.

My next question is if we leave on the Thursday before which would be after work  around 7pm where would a decent hotel be

thinking maybe in CT about 2 1/2 hours out of Boston?  

Thanks for your help!

Edited by letsgocruisin

There are a # of hotels around Stamford, CT area (I-95, Exit 7 to Exit 4) -  Google it & checkout TripAdvisor for review & comments.  On a weekday morning, it will still be a 1 hour to 90 minutes drive, depending on traffic & roadway incidents - depending on # of travelers, bedding requirements & other specifics, you should be able to find Hotw* or Price* specials - parking should be complimentary/free or nominal for overnight, and hot breakfast included ... sometimes.  

Or, look for something around White Plains, NY in upper Westchester County, putting you closer to I-87 (NYS Thruway) and near the Saw Mills River Pkwy - to connect to the Henry Hudson Pkwy.  Let the weekday morning commuter ease up after 9 to 9:30 am, check Waze/traffic updates before leaving the hotel - you come across Riverdale, direct down the parkway to cruise terminal / rooftop parking.  

Do check the CT's state DOT website for construction & nighttime closure, starting officially at 9 or 10 p.m. but road crews are known to be out by 8:30 pm to start closing down lanes for thru traffic and creating backup ... whether it's on I-95 or the Merritt Parkway

We drove from MD (about the same distance as Boston) the "morning of" and left early enough so that we arrived at the pier around 9:45. We left around two hours for traffic but did not need it.  Even though the roads are crowded it can be done (and yes there is some risk).  Overcoming the risk is by doing what others have suggested and stay in a place close to NYC.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:55 AM, letsgocruisin said:

Hi all,

i have sailed from New York before but on a Saturday or Sunday.   Our March cruise leaves on a Friday and I have 2 concerns.   First we are thinking of maybe driving on sail day from Boston.  For those who have ever done that how long was the drive on a Friday morning from Boston to the pier.   

Stressing about traffic and missing the ship.

My next question is if we leave on the Thursday before which would be after work  around 7pm where would a decent hotel be

thinking maybe in CT about 2 1/2 hours out of Boston?  

Thanks for your help!

Leave on Thursday night. Drive as far as you want then get a goods night sleep. Closer to the port eliminates a lot of the tension of driving a long distance worrying about making the cruise. Stamford Ct / White Plains NY area is a good place to stop. Personally, I don’t trust NY traffic it can back up at any time of day. For any length of time.

Our budget hotel choice is the La Quinta in Stamford CT right off I95.  Not fancy, but serves the purpose of an inexpensive hotel with free breakfast (Stamford Diner is also attached to the hotel), easy I95 access and free internet.  Hampton Inn is another good choice in Stamford.

I-95 construction advisory around Stamford, CT area - well, on weekday mornings - beware of commuters & the bottleneck, lots of folks drive to/from NY-CT across the state lines each day.  The choke is at the NYS line where it split to/from the I-287 toward White Plains/Tappan Zee Bridge - stretched & extend up to Exit 6 or 7 at the Stamford exits.  It doesn't look like they will be done anytime soon.  

Coming from NYC/Westchester toward CT/MA - it can backup for quite a few miles.  Narrow lanes & bypass onto the shoulder lanes.  Use Waze/Google Map or whatever real-time GPS aid to help plan that drive into NY.  Add 15 minutes to the planned trip time for a weekday morning, just in case ... heading to MCT for the Gem sailing, a 90 minutes drive time should suffice via 138East/Carol's shortcut thru the area via the Cross County Pkwy.

Another idea - if you want to get thru the Stamford bottleneck that night instead - also, look at Yonkers, NY as the place to call it a night, just north of NYC - almost nearly Riverdale, off the I-87 or Cross County Pkwy - I see a Hampton & Courtyard at reasonable rates, 1 or 2 notch more than rates in CT (about $120/night + taxes/fees).  From that area, easy to connect to the Henry Hudson at Riverdale, cross the river into upper Manhattan & continue south to MCT - 30 to 45 minutes toward the tail end of morning rush hour - relatively safe & easy.  Checkout Tripadvisor reviews first. 

Edited by mking8288

On 12/3/2019 at 5:24 AM, 138east said:

Our budget hotel choice is the La Quinta in Stamford CT right off I95.  Not fancy, but serves the purpose of an inexpensive hotel with free breakfast (Stamford Diner is also attached to the hotel), easy I95 access and free internet.  Hampton Inn is another good choice in Stamford.

This is a good option - putting you within an hour or so of New York.  As OP would be leaving Boston fairly late, the Comfort Inn on US 1 at Exit 59 in Guilford - is s good mid-point - about two hours from New York - although I would prefer to get closer to the city. 

Perhaps make the decision just just a day or so in advance - to take possible snow conditions into consideration: mid-March can see heavy snow along CT shoreline.

Letsgocruising,   IMHO, leaving Thursday and staying over would be my plan.  We travel in to NYC or Port LIberty from Western MA  leaving early enough to work our way around delays.  But leaving from Boston would make me "antsy" so to have a happy first day stay near to NYC on Thursday night.  

I would recommend Park Right for parking instead of at the terminal.  The terminal has gotten so expensive.  We have used them the last couple of times we took the car. (usually guilt one of the kids into driving us and picking us up)    Drive there, a driver gets in the car brings you to the terminal and drops you and luggage off.  After the cruise they will come pick you up. Or one of  has walked to the garage, goten the car and headed back to get the other person/people and luggage.

https://parkright.com/

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a cruise.  We had taken a bus down the night before because of the weather.  short cab ride from the bus terminal, food nearby, breakfast included, between 5th and 6th Ave so half a block to walk for a cab (hotel offered to get a "cab/car" for $60.....cab was $10).     So taking a bus on Thursday could be an option also. Saves gas, wear and tear and stress.

No matter what you decide --- enjoy your cruise.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, mking8288 said:

I-95 construction advisory around Stamford, CT area - well, on weekday mornings - beware of commuters & the bottleneck, lots of folks drive to/from NY-CT across the state lines each day.  The choke is at the NYS line where it split to/from the I-287 toward White Plains/Tappan Zee Bridge - stretched & extend up to Exit 6 or 7 at the Stamford exits.  It doesn't look like they will be done anytime soon.  

Coming from NYC/Westchester toward CT/MA - it can backup for quite a few miles.  Narrow lanes & bypass onto the shoulder lanes.  Use Waze/Google Map or whatever real-time GPS aid to help plan that drive into NY.  Add 15 minutes to the planned trip time for a weekday morning, just in case ... heading to MCT for the Gem sailing, a 90 minutes drive time should suffice via 138East/Carol's shortcut thru the area via the Cross County Pkwy.

Another idea - if you want to get thru the Stamford bottleneck that night instead - also, look at Yonkers, NY as the place to call it a night, just north of NYC - almost nearly Riverdale, off the I-87 or Cross County Pkwy - I see a Hampton & Courtyard at reasonable rates, 1 or 2 notch more than rates in CT (about $120/night + taxes/fees).  From that area, easy to connect to the Henry Hudson at Riverdale, cross the river into upper Manhattan & continue south to MCT - 30 to 45 minutes toward the tail end of morning rush hour - relatively safe & easy.  Checkout Tripadvisor reviews first. 

agree on these choices. the Hampton, courtyard  and residence inn. are across the street from each other and they are just off the saw mill pkwy (which leads into/becomes the henry Hudson) so its a straight shot to the port about 18 miles.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/nycynhx-hampton-suites-yonkers/

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hpnyc-courtyard-yonkers-westchester-county/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hpnyk-residence-inn-yonkers-westchester-county/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2