Encore / Live / Solo(*)- Dec 1-8-2019...

sid_9169

17 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Wow, maybe I did overdo it a bit with the font size... I'm typing this on a desktop, but I just looked at it on my phone, and WHOA is it BIG!... Sorry, I'll go back to average size font, it's too late to edit the rest...

Some of us like bigger...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Going off on a little tangent here... (This will likely be a frequent occurrence...) In case you didn't follow the "Everything...Norwegian Encore! Launch Nov 2019" thread here on Cruise Critic, you probably missed the imbroglio that ensued during the final phases of construction at Meyer Werft shipyard... When they were adding the "Encore" logo to the side of the ship, a miscalculation in measurement caused the "C" in the word Encore to be compressed, and the appearance became so disconcerting that they had to remove and reconfigure the letters so they would appear equal... This was a much bigger task than it sounds, and took weeks to correct. 

Here are a couple of photos of the "original" incorrect logo. (*** Photo credits to FreestyleNovice and TheDougOut )

c gate 4.jpeg

c gate 5.jpeg

The entire fiasco became a joke in the thread, and became lovingly known as the "Wonky C" courtesy of TheDougOut... Just a little "inside info" for those that weren't there... Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

c gate 3.jpg

• Like 2

As far as port plans this time around, I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants in 2 of the 3 ports of call... Our time in San Juan is short, as well as late in the day, so I'll likely just wander the streets and take in the sights, and find something good to eat and drink. In Tortola, I have booked the Escape to Jost Van Dyke on the Rebel Yell Catamaran... This was booked directly throgh Norwegian, even though I usually book with outside companies. I've done this once before, and White Bay is simply a spectacular beach, with clear calm waters... There are also a few rustic beach bars, including the world famous Soggy Dollar. Finally, in St Thomas, I will probably end up taking the public bus to Lindqvist beach, which has no amenities, and thus is usually not crowded. Afterwards, I want to check out a taco place in Red Hook that I've been checking out online for awhile. 

***And, the last of my "stolen from NCL" Encore photos...

encore 3.jpg

• Like 2

"for I am Costanza, Lord of the idiots..."

In case you wondered what the (*) was in the title beside the word Solo in the thread title, allow me to explain... Even though I'm technically going solo, with my own cabin and hotel room, there will be someone from "back home" sort of tagging along. An old friend, who has never been on a cruise before asked if I would "show them the ropes" as it pertains to the in's & out's of sailing the seven seas... Sort of like Yoda teaching a young Luke Skywalker. Except, I won't be teaching them how to lift an X-Wing fighter from the swamps of Dagobah with the powers of The Force. I'll be giving lessons such as Forward & Aft, Port & Starboard and such. 

Oh, and I guess that I'm going to have to tell you sooner or later, that this "someone" is my daughter Ashlees' mother, AKA: my "Ex"... No, we're not trying to "patch things up" as that ship has sailed... Her boyfriend, who has also never been on a cruise, uses a wheelchair, and thus requires a bit more effort when it comes to getting around on a giant ship. She wants to take him on a cruise, but wants to first figure out exactly how everything works once on board. She'll be sort of like my Padawan, and me a Jedi Master...

star wars tg.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

As usual, I'll be armed with a few different anti-hangover remedies. I still have several Flyby and Detoxx pills leftover from my recent Horizon cruise. I'll also be testing out a new brand called Drinkwel... You can never take too many precautions when it comes to remaining functional after days and nights filled with overindulging... (Speaking of overindulging. I have 3 different Thanksgiving dinners to go to in the next 2 days...) 

• Like 4

"Although I'm not really excited about forking over two hundred something bucks, in addition to everything I've already paid, I do plan on securing a Vibe Pass, just to be able to enjoy some un-crowded deck space. I'm just not one of those people who enjoy the "hustle & bustle" of the main pool area. I like to have somewhere to escape to, and if it costs extra, then I'm just going to have to grin and bear it. "

I can literally picture Frank Del Rio rubbing his nipples and lighting a cigar with a $100 bill as he reads this. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

"Although I'm not really excited about forking over two hundred something bucks, in addition to everything I've already paid, I do plan on securing a Vibe Pass, just to be able to enjoy some un-crowded deck space. I'm just not one of those people who enjoy the "hustle & bustle" of the main pool area. I like to have somewhere to escape to, and if it costs extra, then I'm just going to have to grin and bear it. "

I can literally picture Frank Del Rio rubbing his nipples and lighting a cigar with a $100 bill as he reads this. 

I usually get Vibe anyway, but yes, the way that the Encore was designed pretty much makes it a must for me... My prediction is (and, you all read it here first) is that, eventually they tear down the laser tag and replace it with Spice H20...

• Like 1

While I'm getting ready for second dinner, I'll give you an idea of the type of food and beverage p0rn you can look forward to in the coming days... After work yesterday, I rode my bike up Peachtree to a South African place that I've been wanting to go to for awhile... Biltong Bar specializes in beef jerky and craft adult beverages. They also have a tiki menu with lots of great and unique drinks and snacks.

I started with the biltong platter, which features five different types of jerky, from soft and fresh, to a sausage type that's a bit tougher to chew.

IMG_20191126_172440.thumb.jpg.b31943341763f7d31dba23f2e7a629c8.jpg

IMG_20191126_172447.thumb.jpg.f9d2b30103b2570bf9cf4765bad7a740.jpg

I also perused the menu, and had their margarita to get things going.

IMG_20191126_172307.thumb.jpg.212f48b5be2a8130963552c55e1c8c3f.jpg

IMG_20191126_172558.jpg

• Like 4