Captain's Circle Loyalty Benefits now extended guests of all ages

chapultepec

Luckily I'm wearing my flame retardant pants so here goes . . .

I read on the Princess website yesterday (News Centre) that children staying in the same cabin will now be eligible for all of the perks as the parents get.  Can you imagine if both parents have Elite status, that could potentially get them 3x everything including the mini bar set up, as the article didn't exclude alcoholic beverages.

Even though the parents paid for their children's fare it shouldn't qualify them for the same benefits.  According to the article, even the colour of the Medallions the children wear will reflect their parents loyalty level. I could understand if Princess offered to extend benefits to children for a nominal charge, but to give it away free . . . that's just wrong.

I have been sailing with Princess since 2004 and have spent many thousands of dollars to achieve Elite status, yet I wouldn't expect my child to receive benefits he never paid for.

As stated, mini bar is one per cabin. There are not too many benefits for youth that they don't already receive from their parents. Maybe the first day discount on the internet by trading their minutes. But with the 4 device packages that may also be of little value. Maybe the Princess insurance. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chapultepec said:

I read on the Princess website yesterday (News Centre) that children staying in the same cabin will now be eligible for all of the perks as the parents get.  Can you imagine if both parents have Elite status, that could potentially get them 3x everything including the mini bar set up, as the article didn't exclude alcoholic beverages.

Even though the parents paid for their children's fare it shouldn't qualify them for the same benefits.  According to the article, even the colour of the Medallions the children wear will reflect their parents loyalty level. I could understand if Princess offered to extend benefits to children for a nominal charge, but to give it away free . . . that's just wrong.

I have been sailing with Princess since 2004 and have spent many thousands of dollars to achieve Elite status, yet I wouldn't expect my child to receive benefits he never paid for.

Chill out!

As Chrysalis said, there won't be any more mini-bar than one per cabin. Princess knows better than to supply alcohol to minors regardless of their status.

The article doesn't say the medallion the children get reflects their parents loyalty level. It says the appropriate loyalty level which would reflect the number of cruises and/or days the child has accrued. That could be different as children may not accompany their parents on every cruise.

Extending benefits to children isn't wrong. They were paid for by someone so they're not free. Previously, the credits were accruing in the child's account and then the benefits were suddenly made available as soon as the child became 18.

It will help the Elite parents though as they won't have to make purchases in person to get the 10% discount, if the kids are Elite, they can do it themselves. No need to trudge down to the shop to purchase something for the child.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Extending benefits to children isn't wrong. They were paid for by someone so they're not free. Previously, the credits were accruing in the child's account and then the benefits were suddenly made available as soon as the child became 18.

That's the way I read it, too. Back when this topic was first introduced.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

The article doesn't say the medallion the children get reflects their parents loyalty level. It says the appropriate loyalty level which would reflect the number of cruises and/or days the child has accrued. That could be different as children may not accompany their parents on every cruise.

I think the article says that children will get the loyalty level based on the child's own personal cruising history.  In this respect many people would assume that children might not have accompanied their parents on every cruise.  Whilst this may be true it does not follow that the children have been on fewer cruises.  Many people get divorced and go on cruises with their children leaving an estranged partner at home.  Grandparents that is four people could take a grandchild on a cruise.  You could easily have a couple where the man remarries a new wife on Gold accessing benefits based one daughter being Elite and the other daughter being Platinum.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chapultepec said:

but to give it away free . . . that's just wrong.

Do you enjoy "free" airline miles? You didn't actually fly those 30,000 miles, but to "give it away free... that's just wrong."

Same thing here, the kids didn't pay the fare but they receive the benefit. It is Princess' loyalty program and they make the rules.

28 minutes ago, villauk said:

Agree, our kids have been on all of our cruises: we travel as a family.

For us, we were cruising before my daughter came along, so my daughter has a lower status (on four different lines!) as she's only 3 and we've been cruising regularly for 11 years.

5 hours ago, chapultepec said:

By that reasoning, my wife should have no credits for ever sailing Princess.  All of her fares have been paid for by me with money that I earned.  She has never paid for a cruise in her life.  Why should she get credit for something she never paid for?

So I should be Elite and she should still be carrying a blue card.

So, if the 'rents are elite, the kiddos get

Priority embark,

Priority tender,

Free laundry

And how is that new?

They'll also get internet minutes and shop discounts.

Doubt they'll get the free wine tasting.

All of this costs Princess near nothing ... and earns them much good will.  It's a business decision.

We have enjoyed many pleasant encounters with pax of all loyalty levels over the years ... have also endured the EES (Elite Elitism Syndrome), and see no reason for that "better" attitude.  We've seen it and we've heard it ... it's most unbecoming.

It's Princess' program, and they can make it what they want ... up to resetting us all to zero. 

We ought to be grateful for what we get and not be resentful of what Princess does for those some might consider less worthy or deserving 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pms4104 said:

So, if the 'rents are elite, the kiddos get

Priority embark,

Priority tender,

Free laundry

And how is that new?

They'll also get internet minutes and shop discounts.

Correct. And the Internet minutes are what those under 18 who have sailed enough on Princess to have made Platinum really want.

However, with the new Medallionnet and its pricing (4 devices with unlimited use for the price of 2 devices with unlimited use in return for giving up the free Internet minutes), only one person has to purchase that package. In effect, two children can have free Internet now even if they did not have status in the Captain's Circle.

• Like 1

So if I’m correct, I can see the following scenario:  Little Waldo has been going on cruises with Ma & Pa since he was an infant.  Ma & Pa are big fans of one and three day California coastal cruises.  Waldo has always been the third pax in the cabin so his cruise fare is usually about $70.  Waldo gets the same amount of cruise credit as someone paying $2400 on their 10 day Hawaiian cruise.  :classic_blink:   Now that Waldo is 16 years old, he has 22 cruises under his belt and is now elite.  Uncle Festus and Aunt Mabel decide to take their first cruise ever and take Waldo with them as a third in the cabin.  Festus and Mabel enjoy most of the elite perks because they have Waldo staying in their cabin even though they’ve never set foot on a cruise ship before.

What they won’t get is the minibar setup.  According to Princess’ Captain Circle page, the minibar is for guests over the age of 21 only.  But – since Princess has a hard time following their posted rules, they’ll probably give Waldo a soft drink minibar set up anyway. 

@Daniel A I agree with another poster who said this is a business decision by Princess. You created a hypothetical and somewhat farfetched scenario to criticize the decision by Princess. But here's a real life scenario: my 23 year old and 19 year old DD's started cruising with us at ages 5 and 8. Every cruise they have been on has been paid for by us and, other than one 2-day, they've all been 7-14 day cruises. Both of our DD's have been platinum for quite a while and are probably 1-2 cruises away from elite. Most likely we will pay for another cruise for both our DD's in the near future. And guess what? Now they're adults and bring their SO's along. The SO's are new pax for Princess. Now the SO's also find out that they enjoy Princess cruises. By counting our kids' loyalty credits going back to their first cruise in 2005, Princess is incentivizing them to come back as young adults and bring others.

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

So if I’m correct, I can see the following scenario:  Little Waldo has been going on cruises with Ma & Pa since he was an infant.  Ma & Pa are big fans of one and three day California coastal cruises.  Waldo has always been the third pax in the cabin so his cruise fare is usually about $70.  Waldo gets the same amount of cruise credit as someone paying $2400 on their 10 day Hawaiian cruise.  :classic_blink:   Now that Waldo is 16 years old, he has 22 cruises under his belt and is now elite.  Uncle Festus and Aunt Mabel decide to take their first cruise ever and take Waldo with them as a third in the cabin.  Festus and Mabel enjoy most of the elite perks because they have Waldo staying in their cabin even though they’ve never set foot on a cruise ship before.

What they won’t get is the minibar setup.  According to Princess’ Captain Circle page, the minibar is for guests over the age of 21 only.  But – since Princess has a hard time following their posted rules, they’ll probably give Waldo a soft drink minibar set up anyway. 

I like the names you picked. Made the family look like a bunch of hillbillies. 

Having trouble sharing your anger. No matter how much I imagine a couple people I don't know getting some free pop, I just can't get too upset about it. 

Why do you care? Relax and enjoy your own cruise. 

I hope you are just trolling to get reactions, but if you aren't please take a step back and look at the bigger picture. It really will have no affect on you because the scenario you put forth will happen so seldom. The much more common occurrence is the snobby, old elite curmudgeon lording it over the perceived underclass of the ship. Now that can really impact on your cruise.

18 hours ago, thinfool said:

By that reasoning, my wife should have no credits for ever sailing Princess.  All of her fares have been paid for by me with money that I earned.  She has never paid for a cruise in her life.  Why should she get credit for something she never paid for?

So I should be Elite and she should still be carrying a blue card.

Oh, she paid for her cruises, I suspect. Since you apparently earned all the money, which I guess means she didn't work outside the home, she must have cleaned the house, did the laundry, prepared the meals, did the dishes, shopped, took care of the lids, etc. Yep, she worked and earned every penny of her cruise costs.  😁

And no, I'm not a woman, just a guy who's glad to be luck to have a great wife who did work outside of the house and still did over half of the work around the house!!!

Oh, and I didn't post this to be mean or anything as I'm sure that you weren't trying to degrade your wife and were just making a point (I agree with the point I believe you were making.) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!

Tom

1 hour ago, RMMariner said:

Having trouble sharing your anger. No matter how much I imagine a couple people I don't know getting some free pop, I just can't get too upset about it. 

I hope you are just trolling to get reactions, but if you aren't please take a step back and look at the bigger picture. It really will have no affect on you because the scenario you put forth will happen so seldom. The much more common occurrence is the snobby, old elite curmudgeon lording it over the perceived underclass of the ship. Now that can really impact on your cruise.

I was just having some fun with the names trying to be lighthearted.  No anger here so none to share.  The whole point of the post was to demonstrate how the current Princess formula for CC levels is lopsided.  I don't see why one person booking a solo one night cruise in an inside cabin for $198 should get credit for two completed cruises when the person spending $2500 on a minisuite for a 10 day cruise would only get credit for one completed cruise.  I also don't see how that is 'trolling.'  (BTW - I've seen posts here on CC where people have bragged about doing just that to get to elite quickly and encouraging others to do the same.  So people shouldn't say it doesn't happen.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I will never understand why people get concerned about things other people receive.

In no way does that affect them and their cruise,, not the amenities they will receive.

• Like 2

Well said. I'm all for my kids (now teen and young adults) getting the status they earned without having to wait until 18. As mentioned my teen only cares about the free internet minutes anyway. And yes it will indeed encourage them to sail with Princess with their own families someday. 

On 11/29/2019 at 10:48 AM, RMMariner said:

So what names would you prefer?  

On 11/28/2019 at 11:31 AM, john watson said:

I think the article says that children will get the loyalty level based on the child's own personal cruising history.  In this respect many people would assume that children might not have accompanied their parents on every cruise.  Whilst this may be true it does not follow that the children have been on fewer cruises.  Many people get divorced and go on cruises with their children leaving an estranged partner at home.  Grandparents that is four people could take a grandchild on a cruise.  You could easily have a couple where the man remarries a new wife on Gold accessing benefits based one daughter being Elite and the other daughter being Platinum.

Regards John

This is how we interpreted it. Our son had enough to be Platinum, and that is what he got.