Pre-cruise stay Manhattan cruise terminal

Roadsofa

I have been searching for information and I'm finding bits and pieces but not exactly what I'm looking for. Sailing Bliss 2/2 and I'm seriously looking at flying the day before. I am taking advantage of NCL free air promo flying from Providence. I looked into getting the hotel trough NCL and having the transfer adjusted. I was given a price of $235 per person for the hotel and a price change on the transfer of $40 per. It would make for a $550 charge just to stay the night. I little bit outrageous.

Now I'm trying to figure out my best options of pre trip hotels, potentially with ride to pier. As I understand things, the flight will be into Newark. I know that there are hotels in NJ that have park/stay options with transport. Any and all suggestions appreciated. I figure I can make arrangements on board for a NCL transfer to airport for return. 

Neil

Neil, check out the East Coast departures forum.  Lots of helpful info about hotels/transportation for the NYC area.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

Also you don't have to wait until you are on board to book a return NCL transfer:

https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/transfers-and-car-services

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Agree, check the East Coast Departures board. However, from Providence, I would look into Amtrak versus flying.

1000% agree about Amtrak or even the express Peter Pan

Edited by esm54687

We usually take Amtrak and stay at the Fairfield Inn on 33rd...walking distance from Penn Station.  Breakfast included...hotel can arrange cab or car service to pier.

We book car service back to Penn Station post cruise as cab line is across the street and very long (No luggage assistance available...if needed)

58 minutes ago, JSN005 said:

We are on that cruise too and have cruised from nyc before. We always stay at the comfort inn midtown west. Rooms are really small but it has a free breakfast and a short walk to the pier.

I actually just found this hotel and I think that is where I'll get a room. Walk to the pier works for me. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best transportation from the airport to the hotel. 

If you can get into NYC there are 2 hotels right on West 48 Street -1/2 block from where you

enter the NCL building:
Holiday Inn Express  538 West 48 Street

Comfort Inn  548 West 48 Street - stayed here once, free breakfast, wifi and was comfortable

and cheap

• Like 1

It will be faster (if not cheaper) to take the train directly to manhattan vs. flying to NJ and schlepping to the city. It can cost close to $100 to take a car from EWR depending on the time and day (rush hour = 1+ hours). When DH has works in Boston, he prefers to drive or take the train vs. flying, and we live 20 minutes from EWR.

16 hours ago, Roadsofa said:

I actually just found this hotel and I think that is where I'll get a room. Walk to the pier works for me. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best transportation from the airport to the hotel. 

We usually use dial 7 car service, but I think we will call an uber this year.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2019 at 10:45 PM, Wizpharm2 said:

We usually take Amtrak and stay at the Fairfield Inn on 33rd...walking distance from Penn Station.  Breakfast included...hotel can arrange cab or car service to pier.

We book car service back to Penn Station post cruise as cab line is across the street and very long (No luggage assistance available...if needed)

We just booked holiday inn express because we are taking Amtrak but what car service did you use I’m going to fly home? And how do you find your driver?

On 11/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, Rhea58 said:

If you can get into NYC there are 2 hotels right on West 48 Street -1/2 block from where you

enter the NCL building:
Holiday Inn Express  538 West 48 Street

Comfort Inn  548 West 48 Street - stayed here once, free breakfast, wifi and was comfortable

and cheap

I have an elderly person in our party that can walk but not long distances. Are these hotels on 48th st really that close to the terminal?

26 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

I have an elderly person in our party that can walk but not long distances. Are these hotels on 48th st really that close to the terminal?

They are a block and a half and then a cross over a very busy 12th Ave which is 4 lanes in each directions. I would say this would be a challenge for an elderly walker unless they could quickly cross 12th Ave and its 8 lanes in a little less than a minute.