Anyone currently on the Joy?

bluebelt

56 minutes ago, ronheg said:

On the cruise that started 12/1, are they still in full sanitation mode?  Any announcements by the captain?  

On joy now, yes they’re still in full sanitation mode; buffet is not self service, paper menus, no condiments on table , no coffee machines in cabins (I’m in a concierge and was looking forward to the nespresso too), no ice/ice buckets. Is there anything in particular you wanted to know?

Yes, there’s ice and cups in the buffet. All the usual stuff. Only difference is you have to have someone get it for you. 
Honestly I think they’re doing an admirable job. Staff are friendly but working their tales off keeping everything clean.

1 hour ago, JamesIowa said:

On joy now, yes they’re still in full sanitation mode; buffet is not self service, paper menus, no condiments on table , no coffee machines in cabins (I’m in a concierge and was looking forward to the nespresso too), no ice/ice buckets. Is there anything in particular you wanted to know?

We are going to be on next weeks cruise.  We stopped by the dollar store today to get our own salt and pepper shakers, some bacterial wipes to clean tv remote and other stuff in the cabin to do our part in being prepared for the sanitation measures that are in place.  What time did they start embarkation?  I read that the week before it was 6:00PM before they started letting people on board. Are they still not vacuuming the rooms?

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 1

We were just off the Joy Sunday and on the cruise we witnessed the crew was constantly sanitizing rails, hallways & basically anything anyone would touch for the entire cruise. The staffed handed all food and drinks so no passengers touched food or drinks unless it was given to you. I think the issues of a sick ship has sailed.

We just talked to our neighbor who just disembarked.  There are the prescribed 2% where they have to report it.  He didn't get it, but remember, all the wipes and "stuff" you take don't work unless they are Clorox wipes.  We were in medicine and we got Noro on a Crystal cruise.  It lasts three days.  No one knows they are contagious until they either get diarrhea/and/or vomiting, by then they are not contagious.

Try not to touch the handrails with your hands.  Use your arms and elbows.  Do not shake hands.  Bring CLOROX wipes.  

This happens mostly in the winter, and a lot of the Noro starts way south in like South America.  It happens, and it seems like the ship is dealing with it.  Interested to see how embarkation was.  Sometimes they need A LOT MORE TIME to sanitize.

Don't ruin your cruise.  Bring CLOROX wipes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ronheg said:

On the cruise that started 12/1, are they still in full sanitation mode?  Any announcements by the captain?  

It usually takes at least 2 cruises after a breakout to lift the sanitation mode. I don' t think anyone announces anything you can just tell by the reaction of the crew and the limitations of food handling or one thing. Please for anyone sailing next week, don't let this interfere at all with your cruise. It is a slight inconvenience for all, including the staff but it should have no influence on how good your cruise is. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

We just talked to our neighbor who just disembarked.  There are the prescribed 2% where they have to report it.  He didn't get it, but remember, all the wipes and "stuff" you take don't work unless they are Clorox wipes.  We were in medicine and we got Noro on a Crystal cruise.  It lasts three days.  No one knows they are contagious until they either get diarrhea/and/or vomiting, by then they are not contagious.

Try not to touch the handrails with your hands.  Use your arms and elbows.  Do not shake hands.  Bring CLOROX wipes.  

This happens mostly in the winter, and a lot of the Noro starts way south in like South America.  It happens, and it seems like the ship is dealing with it.  Interested to see how embarkation was.  Sometimes they need A LOT MORE TIME to sanitize.

Don't ruin your cruise.  Bring CLOROX wipes.

It cannot be just regular Clorox wipes, has to be the Healthcare wipes in either Bleach germicidal or Hydrogen peroxide.  Clorox website does a real good job of laying out which wipes kill which viruses.

https://www.cloroxpro.com/products/clorox-healthcare/bleach-germicidal-disinfectants/

https://www.cloroxpro.com/products/clorox-healthcare/hydrogen-peroxide-cleaner-disinfectants/

• Like 1

Also, assuming the ship crew is taking all precautions to disinfect everything and prepare food carefully, the best thing the passengers can do is keep their hands out of their (or others) mouths.  And wash their hands frequently of course but even after hand washing they can be touching something that has potentially been contaminated.  Hand washing only ensures that you wash potential contaminants off your hands.

I am surprised that everyone is so panicked about the norovirus when the flu is becoming so rampant.  We have hospitals in our area that are refusing to allow anyone with flu symptoms into their facilities.  The CDC stated that they missed on the H3N2 component of the flu shot this year and the shot will only be about 40% effective.  Since the flu lasts so much longer and has a much higher mortality rate than norovirus, I think I would be more concerned with catching that.  This will not be a good season to travel in close quarters anywhere in the northern hemisphere.

19 hours ago, Lynda and Eddie said:

Please keep us informed on what is going on.  We are on the Dec 8 cruise.  What time did they allow you to board?

The boarding was pretty long. NCL notified us to show up to the pier from 130-330, cruise to depart at 4. We got there at 12, stood in line for 2 hours; it snaked all down the terminal. Heard the problem was getting the waiting room clear / clean. It wasn’t too bad I guess, just a lot of waiting. Once they opened the doors we were through checkin and onboard in 10 minutes.

Insofar as the continuing sanitation, just heard the buffet is now self service. We’ll see if other restrictions are relaxed, but so far so good. 

There was  non noro emergency. Heard guest had a stroke yesterday and there was a helicopter following the ship for some time but they were not able to evac. We had a quick stop in Cabo to disembark the patient. 

9 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

It usually takes at least 2 cruises after a breakout to lift the sanitation mode. I don' t think anyone announces anything you can just tell by the reaction of the crew and the limitations of food handling or one thing. Please for anyone sailing next week, don't let this interfere at all with your cruise. It is a slight inconvenience for all, including the staff but it should have no influence on how good your cruise is. 

Right, once the number of cases declines, they'll slowly and gradually get back to business as usual. We were on Escape last year right after a cruise with Noro. Bar menus will start reappearing, utensils and salt shakers will be self serve, then the buffet will eventually become self serve again. By day three of our seven day cruise, we were back to normal. Nothing was announced. The biggest inconvenience is for the staff who are working very hard to keep the ship sanitized in addition to their regular duties.

• Like 2

I do feel for the staff.  All the extra work they certain have to take on, and they have more exposure than all of us to the bug.  

Although, rather selfishly, I am hoping when I get to the pier on Sunday, all is back to normal.  This is my first cruise ever, and I'd hate to have it be anymore less than it could be.  

Can't wait to go!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

Yes, there’s ice and cups in the buffet. All the usual stuff. Only difference is you have to have someone get it for you. 
Honestly I think they’re doing an admirable job. Staff are friendly but working their tales off keeping everything clean.

Keep us posted if they loosen up the restrictions...because that would mean it is noro-free!  Any signs of anyone coming down with noro?

22 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

We are going to be on next weeks cruise.  We stopped by the dollar store today to get our own salt and pepper shakers, some bacterial wipes to clean tv remote and other stuff in the cabin to do our part in being prepared for the sanitation measures that are in place.  What time did they start embarkation?  I read that the week before it was 6:00PM before they started letting people on board. Are they still not vacuuming the rooms?

Why would you bring reusable salt and pepper shakers, when they are giving out individual packets that can be used once and tossed?  Reusing something that touches the table, your hands, and other things numerous times seems more inconvenient (and less safe) than just using the packets.  You wash your hands, but what if you touched the table after that, and then your salt and pepper shaker.... and then your food. 

Seems like a bad idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DinaS said:

Why would you bring reusable salt and pepper shakers, when they are giving out individual packets that can be used once and tossed?  Reusing something that touches the table, your hands, and other things numerous times seems more inconvenient (and less safe) than just using the packets.  You wash your hands, but what if you touched the table after that, and then your salt and pepper shaker.... and then your food. 

Seems like a bad idea.

You are assuming that they have individual packets.  When all the condiments disappeared on a cruise that I was on, if you wanted salt they gave you a little cup filled with salt.   Depending on the cruise, they can't exactly restock on certain things.  So having your own available if necessary isn't a bad idea - I always carry some just in case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DinaS said:

Seems like a bad idea.

I think we will be fine.  I hope when we get on the Joy Sunday most everything is back to normal.  Still waiting to hear an up to date report from someone on the Dec 1st sailing.  Still wondering whether embarkation/debarkation is back to normal and if they have began vacuuming inside the cabins again.  When we get back on the 15th if norovirus and sanitation measures are still an issue I will provide a detailed account.

• Like 1