Cruise Critic Community
bluebelt

Anyone currently on the Joy?

3 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

I think we will be fine.  I hope when we get on the Joy Sunday most everything is back to normal.  Still waiting to hear an up to date report from someone on the Dec 1st sailing.  Still wondering whether embarkation/debarkation is back to normal and if they have began vacuuming inside the cabins again.  When we get back on the 15th if norovirus and sanitation measures are still an issue I will provide a detailed account.

as will I!

4 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

The boarding was pretty long. NCL notified us to show up to the pier from 130-330, cruise to depart at 4. We got there at 12, stood in line for 2 hours; it snaked all down the terminal. Heard the problem was getting the waiting room clear / clean. It wasn’t too bad I guess, just a lot of waiting. Once they opened the doors we were through checkin and onboard in 10 minutes.

Insofar as the continuing sanitation, just heard the buffet is now self service. We’ll see if other restrictions are relaxed, but so far so good. 

There was  non noro emergency. Heard guest had a stroke yesterday and there was a helicopter following the ship for some time but they were not able to evac. We had a quick stop in Cabo to disembark the patient. 

Thanks for reporting this.  Sounds like things are slowly returning to normal.

9 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I am surprised that everyone is so panicked about the norovirus when the flu is becoming so rampant.  We have hospitals in our area that are refusing to allow anyone with flu symptoms into their facilities.  The CDC stated that they missed on the H3N2 component of the flu shot this year and the shot will only be about 40% effective.  Since the flu lasts so much longer and has a much higher mortality rate than norovirus, I think I would be more concerned with catching that.  This will not be a good season to travel in close quarters anywhere in the northern hemisphere.

It's not as though we were "panicked" about it but when you have SO many things that are restricted due to the outbreak the week before your sailing......and over which you have NO control....it does impact you.  As we were  part of our family totalling 12.....and each dinner took almost three hours......and it does make a difference when there is so much drama/cleaning/complaining/etc.  going on......

And wouldn't you know it - we DID come home with no Noro symptoms but I am now suffering from a bad chest cold?  So again - not a problem for us if there are "germs" going around as we know that everyone does their best....but when it affects your cabin, meal service, asthetics, and on and on....it does impact your vacation.  

And as a recent lung cancer patient....thanks for the "good" news about the flu vaccine NOT being that effective.....

Sometimes I wonder why people post these things....as what good are we actually doing each other???  And I am including myself in this number....as what good is it for everyone else to know how WE dealt with the virus filled trip?  Just thinking out loud at this point....as I now have to confront calling my pulmonary doctor and my oncologist to see what to do about the chest cold?  So I guess bottom line is this is ALL relative....depending on where you are in life....

When is embarkation normal?  They all seem different to me.   Some good some bad.   Some fast some slow. 

1 hour ago, ronheg said:

Are the coffee makers and ice buckets back in the balcony cabins?

Not yet. I saw attendants with nespresso machines on the hall but don’t have in cabin yet. Was able to get ice but had to ask. 

I'm on the Joy now. The crew is doing an amazing job with sanitizing. When in port crew members disembark with buckets of cleaner and sanitizing wipes and clean the tour buses and shuttles. I'm not aware of any gastrointestinal issues onboard. The buffet is self service except for plates, eating utensils, and condiments. We are having a very enjoyable cruise.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:04 PM, seemoreroyals said:

I think we will be fine.  I hope when we get on the Joy Sunday most everything is back to normal.  Still waiting to hear an up to date report from someone on the Dec 1st sailing.  Still wondering whether embarkation/debarkation is back to normal and if they have began vacuuming inside the cabins again.  When we get back on the 15th if norovirus and sanitation measures are still an issue I will provide a detailed account.

We are also on the Dec. 8th cruise....hope everything is back to normal...

18 hours ago, funtorunwild said:

We are also on the Dec. 8th cruise....hope everything is back to normal...

I’ve heard from a few staff that the next cruise will indeed be back to normal. Still haven’t heard of any problems w/ noro etc on the current cruise so I think you should be good. Still need to be vigilant about hand washing tho! 

1 hour ago, JamesIowa said:

I’ve heard from a few staff that the next cruise will indeed be back to normal. Still haven’t heard of any problems w/ noro etc on the current cruise so I think you should be good. Still need to be vigilant about hand washing tho! 

This is great news.  I board on Sunday.  I'll report back what I see.  

3 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

For sure on the hand washing....we about wash our skin off on every cruise...LOL

1 hour ago, ronheg said:

Are coffee makers back in the balcony cabins?

Yes, along with throw pillows/decorative bed pillows which were missing until last night. 

We sail on Jan 12 and sounds like all should be back to normal (whatever that is)  Looking forward to continuing comments from all of you sailing before our cruise.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:54 AM, GA Dave said:

I am surprised that everyone is so panicked about the norovirus when the flu is becoming so rampant.  We have hospitals in our area that are refusing to allow anyone with flu symptoms into their facilities.  The CDC stated that they missed on the H3N2 component of the flu shot this year and the shot will only be about 40% effective.  Since the flu lasts so much longer and has a much higher mortality rate than norovirus, I think I would be more concerned with catching that.  This will not be a good season to travel in close quarters anywhere in the northern hemisphere.

Who said anyone is panicked.  We got Noro on Crystal.  It happens in the winter.  People have to know what works and what does not work.  Everyone does not cruise all the time.  If they are cognizant of all that needs to be done they will have a good cruise.  Don't hold the handrails with your hands.  Just lean on with your elbows.  Take Clorox wipes and be careful.  It is just like the flu.  Lasts three days.

Lean on the handrails with your elbows?  I don't see how that would give you the support or stability that handrails provide.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQybp4mJ1lswCtJQXPIh-g

Edited by ColeThornton

12 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

It is just like the flu.  Lasts three days.

I have never heard anyone say that.  If anything, I hear people say a cold lasts that long.  And it took me three weeks and steroids to kick the last of that recently.  

Flu can last a week or two and knocks you off your feet with those awful body aches.  

9 hours ago, Waffopossum said:

I have never heard anyone say that.  If anything, I hear people say a cold lasts that long.  And it took me three weeks and steroids to kick the last of that recently.  

Flu can last a week or two and knocks you off your feet with those awful body aches.  

I am sorry.  I guess everything affects people differently.  Both myself and my husband had Noro.  

The worst was the day with the high fever when it was contagious and then the next three days.  We didn't have it together, I had it first and he had it next.  I had the one with diarrhea and he had the one where you threw up.  I guess we both powered through it.  Everyone takes this stuff differently.  The fact is that this happens frequently on cruises in the winter months.  Just try to be extra careful.  

I’m on the Joy now. We are using paper menus and no salt-pepper shakers. That’s all I’ve seen so far. And I’m getting used to fist pumping instead of shaking hands. 🙂

12 hours ago, nyc2pdx said:

I’m on the Joy now. We are using paper menus and no salt-pepper shakers. That’s all I’ve seen so far. And I’m getting used to fist pumping instead of shaking hands. 🙂

Hope you have as great of a time as I did. Looks like you got some rain yesterday, how was embarkation?

Seems like we can put the joy in the "business as usual" category now.

protip: cover your drink at the end of Elements. Just sayin.

1 minute ago, JamesIowa said:

Hope you have as great of a time as I did. Looks like you got some rain yesterday, how was embarkation?

Seems like we can put the joy in the "business as usual" category now.

protip: cover your drink at the end of Elements. Just sayin.

We did get a tiny smudge of rain but I’m from Oregon so we just call that “daylight” in our neck of the woods. I am in the Haven so embarkation was a breeze. We boarded around 11:30. Espresso machines are back in staterooms, seems like everything is back to normal. Paper menus just makes sense. 

the one weakness In the whole mess of things is the card. Everyone handles it!  Would be better if they scanned it instead of taking it. 

having a wonderful time on my first cruise. I could listen the waves for hours. HOURS!!

5 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

We did get a tiny smudge of rain but I’m from Oregon so we just call that “daylight” in our neck of the woods. I am in the Haven so embarkation was a breeze. We boarded around 11:30. Espresso machines are back in staterooms, seems like everything is back to normal. Paper menus just makes sense. 

the one weakness In the whole mess of things is the card. Everyone handles it!  Would be better if they scanned it instead of taking it. 

having a wonderful time on my first cruise. I could listen the waves for hours. HOURS!!

I noticed that a lot of times when someone takes the card at restaurants, theatre, guest services,they wipe it down after (it's a subtle move). 

Youre right though, there are many people handling your card. Just gotta wash those mitts! 

protip: if you're so inclined, catch the Beatles at the cavern club a few times. Got to get there an hour early, almost as long as the show itself, but worth it! They also play in the theatre on Sat. 

Since  this is your first cruise, and you're in the haven, I'd also add: use the concierge!

often you make reservations, etc in advance only to find you want to do something else. Don't feel compelled to stick with your original plan, use the concierge to make all of those changes for you. IMO I find early dining works better, but you do you.

28 minutes ago, JamesIowa said:

I noticed that a lot of times when someone takes the card at restaurants, theatre, guest services,they wipe it down after (it's a subtle move). 

Youre right though, there are many people handling your card. Just gotta wash those mitts! 

protip: if you're so inclined, catch the Beatles at the cavern club a few times. Got to get there an hour early, almost as long as the show itself, but worth it! They also play in the theatre on Sat. 

Since  this is your first cruise, and you're in the haven, I'd also add: use the concierge!

often you make reservations, etc in advance only to find you want to do something else. Don't feel compelled to stick with your original plan, use the concierge to make all of those changes for you. IMO I find early dining works better, but you do you.

Yes already utilized them a few times for exactly the reason you mentioned. Dilip is our head concierge. Others were raving about him from past cruises. 

I absolutely love the ship within a ship concept. I prefer a more subtle experience so the Haven is perfect. Bartender is great too. I’m about to head up there to do some reading in the sun!

Just got off the ship on 12/8. As stated earlier, much is back to normal. We had aft balcony and coffee maker was not returned during our cruise. Sanitation efforts are beyond expectation! The crew is working overtime to wash, decontaminate and ensure the noro is conquered for now. I heard NO reports of noro during our cruise, and I asked officers repeatedly. We did pull into Cabo on the way South to drop off a medical emergency who was unable to be air lifted from the ship, and there was a code Alpha illness (heart or stroke?) when DW and I were in the theater one afternoon (the crew responded instantly and in force.....gave us a good feeling of their concern in these matters.)

Still no salt/pepper/condiments on tables, but you only need ask and the staff will provide packets. Plates and sliver ware being handed to you by crew, but self-serve has returned in the buffet. Not at all inconvenient.

Overall I would say that the cruise, and especially the crew, was fantastic and wish we were back on board. Do not fear the noro as I think it's likely gone for now, though I suspect the crew will stay busy cleaning and decontaminating for the next few cruises. 

It's a fantastic so enjoy your cruise!!