Diving knife allowed

Noreen411

Generally, if less than four inches blade length, you'll be allowed to keep it.  On Royal Caribbean, I've had them hold it, and you  pick it up as needed leaving the ship, and return it to security.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 3:01 AM, omeinv said:

Generally, if less than four inches blade length, you'll be allowed to keep it.  On Royal Caribbean, I've had them hold it, and you  pick it up as needed leaving the ship, and return it to security.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you

21 minutes ago, mac66 said:

BTW, you can buy EMT shears on Amazon cheap for a pack of 11. I've bought several sets of these and use them for everything including gifts and of course diving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075X16HX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.  I ordered a diving knife on Amazon and it never shipped, just disappeared from history so I may go with these instead.

I just ordered them from Amazon

thank you again

Edited by Noreen411

On 12/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, mac66 said:

A lot of guys are carrying EMT scissors instead of dive knives now.

That's what I also do... and I've used them more often on the dive boats to fix small problems than under water.  Also some dive ops that deal with cruise lines (Cozumel) no longer allow knives.  Not sure if it's a dive op or Marine Park rule.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:52 PM, Pat.D said:

That's what I also do... and I've used them more often on the dive boats to fix small problems than under water.  Also some dive ops that deal with cruise lines (Cozumel) no longer allow knives.  Not sure if it's a dive op or Marine Park rule.

Cozumel it is the Marine park rule...no knives or gloves.  The reason is to protect the wildlife.  People wearing gloves are more likely to touch the reef, and people with knives are more likely to use them for harming wildlife.  

I have been diving for almost 20 yrs now, all over the world, and the only time I have ever used my dive knife is on the boat to cut up lime for beers after the dives.

• Like 1

I would say open a beer that the pull tab broke off!

I carried a dive knife for a while ... the blade was 3/4 inch!

The most probably need for a knife is getting tangled in a piece of old fishing line (IMO) and here your best bet is your buddy but for this possibility the scissors probably work better but I now carry a set of nail clippers in the BC pocket 😁

old school ... what is your knife for?

If you see a shark, slash your buddy and swim away FAST.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I always carry my titanium dive tool, which is 4 inches long and has a pointed tip.  Never have had a problem taking that on the ship, probably because the sheath is riveted to my bcd.  What's funny is that my occasional cruise buddy has an identical dive tool, but with a blunt tip.  His has been caught by security twice so far, probably because it's on the shoulder of his bcd and not the front.  I have used mine on numerous occasions while diving.  I also have shears, but got tired of them rusting all the time.  Now I only take them to cut the zip ties off my luggage after getting to my cabin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 3:01 AM, omeinv said:

Harris

Denver, CO

Same experience with my small dive knife on Royal Caribbean. Blade on the knife is about 3 inches, but including the handle, the knife is longer. No problem getting it back for my dives. 

Edited by perfect match

Was on a Carnival cruise  many years ago and my husband brought his dive knife on in the luggage and it was never found (larger than 4 inches).  However on the same cruise my child safety scissors with a blunt tip were confiscated as they considered it a "weapon."  I generally use it to cut tags off my new cruise clothes.  We had a good laugh about that one.

He doesn't bring his dive knife any longer as he has NEVER used it once.

59 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

my child safety scissors with a blunt tip were confiscated

Lol!  I know what you mean, on one cruise ship I was called to the "naughty room" and also questioned ever time I came back on the ship for a small 5in adjustable wrench showing up on X-Ray in my scuba diving gear bag. They let me keep it when I explain that it's in my "save a dive" kit in case I need to repair my regulators... :) 

On 11/30/2019 at 2:01 AM, omeinv said:

Harris

Denver, CO

This is true for Celebrity as well (which Royal Caribbean owns).

• 10 months later...

My dive knife isn't that big but even though I've never had to use it on a dive, I just know the first time I don't bring it will be the time I do need it 😉  Never had a problem getting it on a ship (Princess) in my checked luggage, but they usually do "find" it when I reboard after diving.  Subsequent ports are not usually a problem getting it back for diving as they keep it near the debarkation exit.  However, the BAD thing is that at the end of the cruise, they usually give the knife to the port security folks and I have to track them down to get it before leaving the terminal.  That can be a big PITA if you're in a hurry to catch an early flight.