iPad Mini - buy on board or not?

Trente

Going to be on the Constellation for the Christmas cruise from Singapore to Dubai and would like to buy the “better half” a new iPad mini. Has anyone purchased an Apple product from the onboard store and if so was it good value?
Any tips would be welcome. 
Happy Christmas/Cruising 

I purchased an iPad mini on the Summit in 2018. It wasn’t the newest model but it was priced fair and with onboard credit, it is fine. I don’t do major gaming or anything like that. With on board credit it was free, much better than ship models, caps, etc.

The store is hit or miss with what they carry. Ask the first night. We had to wait a few days. They told us they had four. 

• Thanks 1

We bought an iPad on the Summit last year too.  They do use US pricing but we saved 7% on the sales tax we would have paid in New Jersey.  As Educators2 said, go the first day and see what they have. Stock varies from ship to ship, cruise to cruise and can change along the way.  As a UK resident you need to check on the taxes and duty rules that would apply to you.

• Thanks 1

If you are buying it as a Christmas present, and you don't want to risk giving her an IOU on Christmas Day, plan to buy before boarding. While you might find what you are looking for, there's no guarantee that it will be available, especially that close to Christmas.🎅🏻

2 hours ago, Trente said:

Going to be on the Constellation for the Christmas cruise from Singapore to Dubai and would like to buy the “better half” a new iPad mini. Has anyone purchased an Apple product from the onboard store and if so was it good value?
Any tips would be welcome. 
Happy Christmas/Cruising 

I bought an iPad mini in 2015, when we were on Eclipse.

There was no VAT (20%). and at that time the exchange rate was excellent. In fact I believe I got a bargain as I was able to buy a 128gb, as I didn’t exceed the UK customs allowance of £390.

In 2018 we bought a 64 gb iPad Pro for my husband, when we were on Silhouette. He doesn’t store photos like I do, so was happy with the memory.

i bought my iPad mini on the first afternoon and had to return to pick it up once we had left the 3 mile limit.

Check prices before you board.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Thanks 1

You might find this link comparing the global prices with VAT back useful

https://themacindex.com/lines/ipad?currency=GBP

If you can find a new iPad Mini 64GB with wifi for ~320 GBP at home, I'd go that route and save the hassle.  The iPad does require a bit of setup which requires wifi to login to iCloud and option download installed apps if you have a prior iPad, so you'd also be using up some ship wifi and time you could be spending elsewhere.  Heaven help you if you forgot your iCloud password or have two factor authentication enabled and don't know how to obtain the code while offline, if you only have 1 internet package.  Lastly, consumer protections do differ a bit when you purchase in different countries.  My aunt's US purchased iPad died 11 months in, within 1 year warranty, in Taiwan and they took care of her issue with a replacement unit with 90 day warranty but I do see a bit of warranty difference in the fine print.

Apple is offering a 40 GBP gift card on iPad Mini as their Black Friday promo https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/gifts/shopping-event

Singapore or Dubai might also be an option.  Do check how they do VAT back and that it isn't just at an airport (tricky in SIN if you're sailing out). 

• Thanks 1

We’ve bought iPads over the years on our cruises.  We only do so when we have a ton of Nonrefundable OBC. I wouldn’t buy one on the ship if you’re spending your own money.  They may be a version prior, but that’s ok with us.  If we don’t need iPads, I use the OBC for Johnny Walker Blue.  

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Thanks 1

We have purchased Apple products on several cruises as we always have extra non refundable OBC.

On the last cruise we purchased an iWatch, and Apple earbuds.  On a previous cruise we purchased am iPad pen.  The merchandise, as stated, is not usually the most current, but it is all new and sealed in original wrapping.  What is on hand is always hit ir miss, no guarantee that what you want will be in stock.  Best of luck

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BaumD said:

An iPad you buy onboard will probably have a US charger, not a British charger. Both would be multi voltage, but the pins would be different and you would need an adapter in England. 

The iPad comes with a USB lightening charger.

You need an adapter anyway, as no ship uses our UK 3 pin sockets, only US/ European.The black lead shown in the attached photo is the kettle lead and has a higher voltage (230v)

The white lead is the US one.

9EF832AA-2126-4938-80A8-9A84F2BC9369.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk
  • Thanks 1

We have been on Edge and Equinox recently and there where no iPad Mini.

they don‘t have Minis in their system (same with new iPad 2019, iphones and new iPad Pro)

you can get iPad 2018 and iPad Pro (old 10,5) though.

to find out US prices, go to Apple.com, scroll down to the flag and change to US.

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Thanks 1