Carnival Catamaran Sail & Snorkel

dfsti

I posted in excursions but think this board gets more traffic! 

Our cruise has a port day in Montego Bay. Our family  originally was going to just going to stay aboard as we have heard it isn't the best (pushy vendors, drugs openly offered, feeling unsafe) but as this is the first stop after 2 sea days, I am thinking a tour thru Carnival would be ok - can anyone comment on the Sail & Snorkel they offer? It is only an hour snorkeling then going to Margaritaville. Is it appropriate for kids (10 yr olds)? Thanks!

There are thirteen reviews on the Carnival website, mostly favorable. One recent reviewer took children on the excursion and recommend it for families. The tour includes free rum punch so there will be drinking but it is only a couple of hours and there are water toys and a slide at Margaritaville.

Children 6 and up are allowed so I booked it for our family, including my grandson who will be a couple weeks shy of his 7th birthday. I think it will be fun for the whole family, looking forward to it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dfsti said:

I posted in excursions but think this board gets more traffic! 

Our cruise has a port day in Montego Bay. Our family  originally was going to just going to stay aboard as we have heard it isn't the best (pushy vendors, drugs openly offered, feeling unsafe) but as this is the first stop after 2 sea days, I am thinking a tour thru Carnival would be ok - can anyone comment on the Sail & Snorkel they offer? It is only an hour snorkeling then going to Margaritaville. Is it appropriate for kids (10 yr olds)? Thanks!

You should be fine with the Carnival excursion. Our dislike for Montego Bay is the same as yours. Margaritaville is downtown where the drugs and pushy people congregate and harass you. Just stay on the Main Street ignore the drug dealers and again you will be safe.  10 year old should be OK in Margaritaville. There’s a nice outdoor deck overlooking the bay and a water slide close by with rafts. We had a wonderful day on the deck having lunch and a few drinks.

• Thanks 1

What a shame - We love Jamaica - Go see the falls; get out of MB.  The area is beautiful, and green, and clean.  There have been some substantial "clean-ups" along the highway!  

Beware of the Maragaritaville Slide - It will provide an Atomic Wedgie like no other!  Not even kidding!!!

I think they are remodeling Margaritaville from the land side, but since you will dock there, you may not even see it.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

What a shame - We love Jamaica - Go see the falls; get out of MB.  The area is beautiful, and green, and clean.  There have been some substantial "clean-ups" along the highway!  

Beware of the Maragaritaville Slide - It will provide an Atomic Wedgie like no other!  Not even kidding!!!

I think they are remodeling Margaritaville from the land side, but since you will dock there, you may not even see it.

Just went there a couple of months ago on this excursion. The boat and crew were great. The water temp was great, but the snorkeling was very lacking in fish. Not much to see at all in the water, however we did see more than a few jelly fish. Luckily I did not hear anyone say they were stung.

Margaritaville was fine. It's Margaritaville, same as always. Never went out the front so did not see any construction. Stayed on the back patio where were were dropped off. 

Disappointed in lack of anything at the port where the ship docks. Had planned on going back out after getting back from the tour, but didn't seem worth the expensive taxi since nothing was nearby. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, amyotravel said:

Just went there a couple of months ago on this excursion. The boat and crew were great. The water temp was great, but the snorkeling was very lacking in fish. Not much to see at all in the water, however we did see more than a few jelly fish. Luckily I did not hear anyone say they were stung.

Margaritaville was fine. It's Margaritaville, same as always. Never went out the front so did not see any construction. Stayed on the back patio where were were dropped off. 

Disappointed in lack of anything at the port where the ship docks. Had planned on going back out after getting back from the tour, but didn't seem worth the expensive taxi since nothing was nearby. 

I found the best snorkeling in MoBay was on Doctor Caves' Beach, down the street (or sand) from M'ville.  If you swim out past the raft, you'll find a U shaped reef with live corals and lots of small and colorful fish.  Very easy to access from the beach front.

• Thanks 1