CPAP Advice

JTBCruiser

19 hours ago, Jeff13 said:

. . . 

So ... this is my solution.  I will test it in Jan.  I bought a long power cord for my CPAP.  Not an "extension" cord, but the actual power cord is now 20 feet long. . . .

Great idea. DW is going to get a stocking stuffer.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 12:11 AM, davisrnr said:

Been looking into this, but I need a full face mask, and the humidifier disk doesn't work with those masks. Anyone used an air mini without the humidification? Thoughts? 

The other option is the Dreamstation Go, which is supposedly very good, and does have a reservoir for an additional cost. Unfortunately this makes it significantly larger than the mini. The other advantage of the Dreamstation is that you can use any mask. 

We leave in about 10 days and I've been mulling over this decision for awhile, but I'm a bit gunshy and afraid of spending a big chunk of change on a machine that I won't use.  Any other thoughts on this? 

Yup. Never had any issues after a week of non-humidified use back in September on Symphony and other multi-day uses without it.

• Like 1

Just got back last week from 5 nights on Quantum of the Seas. 

I had a Grand Suite and the right side of the bed (when standing at the foot of the bed and facing it) had an outlet. I placed my CPAP on the small nightstand and it worked fine. My machine's travel power adapter has a USB port so I can plug in my phone/tablet to charge while the CPAP is plugged in. There was another outlet on the desk so we charged all the other devices there. I had a lot of extra hose length since I was actually much closer to the machine than I am when at home!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, garnetpalmetto said:

Yup. Never had any issues after a week of non-humidified use back in September on Symphony and other multi-day uses without it.

Me too. I also use a full face  mask on my Air Mini. Never had any issues without the humidity.  And I live in an area with very, very little natural humidity.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, jakeil7 said:

Be careful with the batteries you find online. Two things: 

1.  Some are not properly protected with respect to the power they use which could lead to damage or, more likely, the inability to use it with the CPAP or at least the humidifier. 
2.  Some are too large (as measured by watt hours) to take on a plane.  The limit is 100 watt hours per the TSA website. 

also, many of the third party systems are somewhat complicated. 

I have the Medistrom Pilot-24 Lite Cpap battery. It is the one recommended for the Air Mini (comes with all the cables to connect it which is super easy) and within the limits for both domestic and European air travel.  I actually bought it with the Air Mini.

• Like 1

I, too, am the proud(?) recent owner of a CPAP.

My question is: what do you do to sterilize it / otherwise keep it clean on a two-week cruise?  This will be my first cruise lugging along a CPAP device.  The instructions on mine say it should be cleaned with a vinegar / water solution at least twice a week.

FWIW, my device is a ResMat AirSense 10.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, Jeff13 said:

This past spring was the first time I had any issues with my power cord.  They decided to start enforcing the policy all at once.  Because of that, they ran out of extension cords since they took them away from everyone!  I had to play that "medical need" card to get one because I was put on a waiting list to get a cord.  I try really hard to not do that.  I ended up with a very confused engineer at my cabin door with a huge heavy duty cord nicely tie wrapped and labeled for emergency use.  It worked.  It was over kill though!

I fully understand the issue.  They do not know why you have a long cord, nor what you intend to use it for.  Plus they do not know if it has been abused and will cause an electrical problem.

So ... this is my solution.  I will test it in Jan.  I bought a long power cord for my CPAP.  Not an "extension" cord, but the actual power cord is now 20 feet long.  :classic_tongue:

20 Foot Long NEMA power cord.  Only $7!

Your CPAP may have a different cord.  Do a search and see if you can't find one long enough.

I run the cord towards the balcony door and along the floor at the door so it is not in a trip location.  Then up to the desk.  There is usually a couch somewhere in there which is why 20 feet is needed.

I use magnets clips with and run the cord over the ceiling.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cyberchomp said:

My question is: what do you do to sterilize it / otherwise keep it clean on a two-week cruise?  This will be my first cruise lugging along a CPAP device.  The instructions on mine say it should be cleaned with a vinegar / water solution at least twice a week.

You can get a small CPAP cleaner and take it with you.  We did 44 nights on another cruise line last year and had no problem. Since it's an Ozone cleaner, and my wife is sensitive to smells, we did the cleaning on the balcony.  Takes just over an hour to clean the CPAP and is battery operated with a rechargable battery.   We also use it at home. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 8:19 PM, Cyberchomp said:

Don’t worry about cleaning it. It will be fine. Had a cpap for years. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 3:22 PM, durangokid said:

Make sure to carry your CPAP on and not put in checked luggage.. Too expensive a piece of equipment to get damaged that way.  Enjoy your cruise.

Unnecessary. I travel every week with a cpap in checked luggage on planes and on cruises 5-6 times a year. Never a problem. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Necro bump.

I wanted to keep all the CPAP advice in one place and for self reference in the future.

The distilled water that they bring to the room, is it complimentary? One cruise line (I forgot which one) charged me.

7 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Necro bump.

I wanted to keep all the CPAP advice in one place and for self reference in the future.

The distilled water that they bring to the room, is it complimentary? One cruise line (I forgot which one) charged me.

Yes it is complimentary.

Also, there is now no need to email special needs. you can now fill in a form on their website and your cpap water and extension cord will be waiting for you.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, BirdTravels said:

Unnecessary. I travel every week with a cpap in checked luggage on planes and on cruises 5-6 times a year. Never a problem. 

CPAP machines if carried on board airlines are NOT included as part of your carry on baggage weight.  However, if you put the CPAP in your checked baggage it WILL be included as part of your checked baggage weight, hence, you could incur an overweight charge at the airport.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RKHOOKER said:

CPAP machines if carried on board airlines are NOT included as part of your carry on baggage weight.  However, if you put the CPAP in your checked baggage it WILL be included as part of your checked baggage weight, hence, you could incur an overweight charge at the airport.

True but I'm never close to the 50# allowance with my bags.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

I have had a CPAP damaged while in checked luggage. You pay your money, you take your chances. I hand carry mine.

• Like 3

Husband uses one. We’ve taken three cruises so far this year and each time he contacted special needs prior. Each time the water and extension cord was missing in the room. No biggie! Just let your cabin steward know you need it and they will bring it to your cabin. If you want to take an afternoon nap, just let them know you want it “now” instead of during turn down. My point is they keep extra supplies on the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

I won’t take the chance of not having my cpap go astray with mishandled checked luggage. I hand carry it on board planes   

It's the reason why I never check my bags in. I have had multiple suitcases over the years go missing. IDK this happens with all the technology and scans, but it does.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, Jeff13 said:

This past spring was the first time I had any issues with my power cord.  They decided to start enforcing the policy all at once.  Because of that, they ran out of extension cords since they took them away from everyone!  I had to play that "medical need" card to get one because I was put on a waiting list to get a cord.  I try really hard to not do that.  I ended up with a very confused engineer at my cabin door with a huge heavy duty cord nicely tie wrapped and labeled for emergency use.  It worked.  It was over kill though!

I fully understand the issue.  They do not know why you have a long cord, nor what you intend to use it for.  Plus they do not know if it has been abused and will cause an electrical problem.

So ... this is my solution.  I will test it in Jan.  I bought a long power cord for my CPAP.  Not an "extension" cord, but the actual power cord is now 20 feet long.  :classic_tongue:

20 Foot Long NEMA power cord.  Only $7!

Your CPAP may have a different cord.  Do a search and see if you can't find one long enough.

I run the cord towards the balcony door and along the floor at the door so it is not in a trip location.  Then up to the desk.  There is usually a couch somewhere in there which is why 20 feet is needed.

This is what I use. My wife and I both use cpaps. 

Works great. 

image.thumb.png.887e65795e46f4f4214fdcf014b6d5a9.png

Edited by HicksRA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

Husband uses one. We’ve taken three cruises so far this year and each time he contacted special needs prior. Each time the water and extension cord was missing in the room. No biggie! Just let your cabin steward know you need it and they will bring it to your cabin. If you want to take an afternoon nap, just let them know you want it “now” instead of during turn down. My point is they keep extra supplies on the ship. 

I had the same problem with my first cruise with the CPAP in October.  I filled out the form and the extension cord and water were not in my cabin so I asked the cabin attendant for it.  I had it within an hour or so after the request.   I have since sailed again on the same ship and this time just waited until I boarded and then asked the cabin attendant for the supplies and had them within an hour or so.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I had the same problem with my first cruise with the CPAP in October.  I filled out the form and the extension cord and water were not in my cabin so I asked the cabin attendant for it.  I had it within an hour or so after the request.   I have since sailed again on the same ship and this time just waited until I boarded and then asked the cabin attendant for the supplies and had them within an hour or so.  

Thanks. I won't bother filling out the form then.