Customs in Sydney

Goldconnection

We are here in Sydney. Arrived yesterday morning. Expected to spend some time getting through customs after reading all the post. Just the opposite. It took less than five minutes if that and that was because of the lines. No one even looked at the paperwork. They just took it and waved us through. No one asked about medication. No luggage was X-rayed. No dogs sniffing. So much for all the hype about customs in Australia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldconnection said:

1 hour ago, Goldconnection said:

. Expected to spend some time getting through customs after reading all the post. Just the opposite. It took less than five minutes ........ So much for all the hype about customs in Australia. 

This is the thing......

It's very inconsistent.    I've had chocolates from Geneva taken even though they are allowed in. I think the officer liked them as they were tiny garbage bins.  I've brought in an Orchid from the Shangri-La in Singapore, normally plants are not allowed.  They've randomly inspected 1 bag out of four.  I had a good laugh because it was the dirty washing suitcase.  They didn't delve deeply!

3 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

It was consistent. It appeared they waved everyone through on our flight from what we could see that was ahead of us. Again so much for all the hype over customs in Australia.

You've arrived once.... I've done it literally hundreds of times.

The inconsistency is between days and sometimes even hours.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:55 AM, Goldconnection said:

We are here in Sydney. Arrived yesterday morning. Expected to spend some time getting through customs after reading all the post. Just the opposite. It took less than five minutes if that and that was because of the lines. No one even looked at the paperwork. They just took it and waved us through. No one asked about medication. No luggage was X-rayed. No dogs sniffing. So much for all the hype about customs in Australia. 

I hope this is the case next week when I fly in. I only have a 90 min layover to catch my connection to Auckland.

My son and DIL came back from China early in the year.  First time they had travelled together to Asia.

My DIL was astounded as she was able to go straight through for the first time ever.

Went to Malaysia in April, no check again.  She was very confused.

No prize for guessing her cultural heritage.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:18 AM, IrieBajan54 said:

I hope this is the case next week when I fly in. I only have a 90 min layover to catch my connection to Auckland.

Hi @IrieBajan54 - you should be able to go directly to the international transfer area and not be required to pass immigration or customs if you're in transit and your baggage is being routed all the way through Auckland.

NB: You might be pressing it to leave airside and re-enter in such a short time, and there's nothing to see around the airport anyway (unless a quick hello with family or friends!)

Cheers...

20 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Good information toinoi.

Both legs are on Qantas. I have always done non-stop international flights. This is my first transiting to the destination. That certainly would make it easier and avoid any unnecessary delay.

THX

With both legs on the same airline, this should work, as your bags will be transferred for you from one flight to the next, and you should have no need to exit the "in transit" area... meaning no customs/immigrations, because technically you are not entering another country (you are remaining in the "international transit area" of the airport).

But please DOUBLE CHECK that your bags are indeed tagged to be transferred through to your final destination.  That is, look at those luggage tags, and make sure none of them indicate a "final destination" at the connecting airport.

We were in this same situation en route to Auckland about 2 weeks ago, and someone gave us this "hint" here on CC.  Fortunately, our bags were indeed tagged correctly, and we never saw them during the connection. Very easy :classic_smile:

GC

We have been in and out of Australia...Gold Coast, Sydney multiple times.  Going through customs and immigration was a non event.  We landed at Gold Coast airport from Thailand this past February.   We were through customs/immigration in all of five minutes.    Mind you, we had the correct paperwork, we are oldies, and we only travel with a carry on bag each.  Hardly the type to get more than a quick once over-dog or no dog.

15 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

Much of an issue at cruise terminal? We are round trip cruise to NZ.

No, it shouldn't be a problem at the cruise terminal. The only holdup could be if you are boarding when the majority of passengers are which means there may be some time in queues. 

Enjoy your cruise to NZ.

Leigh

We have had no issue at the International Cruise Terminal or at White;s Bay.  Going through customs/immigration was fast and uneventful.

White's Bay Terminal was incredibly disorganized when we disembarked.  It took ages to get a taxi.  The people co-ordinating the taxis would only bring two cars up at a time to load.  45 minute wait.  We were OK because we were going to the car rental office.  Others going to the airport were quite concerned.

Edited by iancal