Disembarkation Port Everglades

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

My sister is currently disembarking on the Edge, she stated that your given a number to get off the ship even if you want to walk your luggage off.  I will be on the Edge December 15th but we only can fly home into Jax Florida out of Miami (10:40am flight) as we don't want to sit in Ft. Lauderdale airport 8 plus hours to get a flight home.  She also stated there are no cabs when you get out of the terminal that you ask for one and they remotely call a cab for you and that the line is tremendously long for getting a cab.  With this being said we have a few questions and hope you can assist us.

1-  How do we get a low number so that we can get off the ship asap and head to Miami for our flight?

2-  Is it true that there are no cabs lined up outside the terminal and they are specifically called for you?  (our experience with other cruise ports is they have hundreds of cabs lined up outside the terminal)

3-  What time do you feel we should get ready to wait for disembarkation and be on deck 5 to get off the ship, considering we need to make our morning flight out of Miami?

4-  If we hire a private car service, is there a special place outside the terminal that the driver can go to meet us....(how would we find our driver)

5-  Is there uber or lift at the terminal and if so, is there a special location for them to pick up passengers?

6-  If we hire a private car service is there a designated area outside the terminal for the driver to park and pick us up and us finding him/her?

Edited by Cruisegirl6

IMHO, you are pushing it for a 10:40 flight. Heck, I'd be sweating that flight if it were from FLL.

Here is my experience from this past June.

We were assigned a low number, but I actually asked for a high number since we had a later flight. I went through the concierge since we were in a concierge cabin. I would presume you can go to guest services and ask for early tags. I think that if you want to do self assist, you just show up. But I don't recall. While waiting, I checked Uber for pricing for a ride to the airport, and determined that a taxi would be cheaper due to surge pricing. There were definitely taxis, but we had to walk to them. We had a porter assisting, so it wasn't too bad.

If you are determined to make that flight, you need to be one of the first off the ship. I would work with guest services and see how they can help you.

• Like 1

We disembarked Edge last week. I do not have all of your requested answers, but will answer a few.

1-  How do we get a low number so that we can get off the ship asap and head to Miami  our flight?

Just ask at the front desk during the early part of the cruise. If they still send tags with too high a number to you cabin, go downstairs and they will change them for you.

2-  Is it true that there are no cabs lined up outside the terminal and they are specifically called for you?  (our experience with other cruise ports is they have hundreds of cabs lined up outside the inal)

Cabs were lined up. No problem getting them. However, it is about a 5 minute walk with your luggage from the arrivals building to the taxi line. Edge now has facial recognition for U.S. citizens, so no need to show your passport, although they ask you to have it available in case there is a technical glitch with the electronic facial recognition system. But if things are working, you just look into a screen and you have cleared immigration...this saves a little time.

3-  What time do you feel we should get ready to wait for disembarkation and be on deck 5 to get off the ship, considering we need to make our morning flight out of Miami?

If you are walking off with your luggage, I would estimate 7:45.

4-  If we hire a private car service, is there a special place outside the terminal that the driver can go to meet us....(how would we find our driver)

5-  Is there uber or lift at the terminal and if so, is there a special location for them to pick up passengers?

6-  If we hire a private car service is there a designated area outside the terminal for the driver to park and pick us up and us finding him/her?

Hope these are helpful.  I am sure you realize that many factors could arise which could cause you to miss your 10:40 flight. Good luck with your effort.. We did find that the actual disembarkation  times for each group ran about 20 minutes behind what they show on the schedule paperwork. One of the ship officers told us this is normally the case. So if you are standing there waiting to disembark with time pressure on your mind, it could be pretty frustrating when your scheduled time arrives and they do not call your number for 20 minutes to a half hour.

The people who are leaving the ship earliest are the people with self-disembarkation.

Then the low numbers follow, you may try to get one at guestservice.

The big question is, what happens if the ship arrival is delayed or when the ship is not cleared for disembarkation as planned.

Alternative to waiting long at Mia airport would be to stay another night in Miami and fly home the next day.

Good answers already but will hit a couple for you -

Uber / Lyft -   There is a designated area just to the left of the exit door.    The services are becoming very popular and there were a couple 100 people looking for their cars.      I was disappointed in that the car that accepted our request was on a run to the airport and even though it said 8 minutes on the apps when we requested our car took about 20 minutes to get to us as we watched him drive to FLL and drop off his fare. 

11:37 shouldn’t be a problem  for you unless something really crazy happens. We had a 11:15 flight on Friday morning and had some issues getting off the ship. The facial recognition system went down so we were delayed and backed up for quite awhile. We were zone 2 to get off and even with the delay we were off the ship by 8:15 and had our luggage and found our personal driver by 8:35. We were at the airport and sitting at the gate by 9:45. We did precheckin the night before which helps save some time. 

1 hour ago, Scottygirl1 said:

I have been following this topic - I am currently on Reflection and disembarking at Fort Lauderdale with a 11.37am flight from Fort Lauderdale.  Is this cutting it fine?  I thought we'd have loads of time.

I have had this flight from FLL, Terminal 25 and it is very do-able.  I wouldn't lollygag around... or be first in self disembark line (6:45am, not SEVEN...wont make that for certain and definitely not MIA!)... Just be ready to go when the first offs are off.  Admittedly, we did have a suite and exited through the lounge. First off with our luggage, did luggage valet, cab, and were waiting for about 2 hours in airport before boarding at 10:45.  If we had waited with the normal cabis, no status, last off the ship people, find your luggage, wait for cab, wait at airport to get to the luggage check... I don't know if we could have made it.  The key is you have to beat the lineup.  And MIA departure adds an hour to all times over FLL.

4 hours ago, spiritkat090909 said:

I have had this flight from FLL, Terminal 25 and it is very do-able.  I wouldn't lollygag around... or be first in self disembark line (6:45am, not SEVEN...wont make that for certain and definitely not MIA!)... Just be ready to go when the first offs are off.  Admittedly, we did have a suite and exited through the lounge. First off with our luggage, did luggage valet, cab, and were waiting for about 2 hours in airport before boarding at 10:45.  If we had waited with the normal cabis, no status, last off the ship people, find your luggage, wait for cab, wait at airport to get to the luggage check... I don't know if we could have made it.  The key is you have to beat the lineup.  And MIA departure adds an hour to all times over FLL.

HI, sorry I don't think I understood your comment.  Should we do self disembarkment?  We have an 11.43 flight.

The OP won't make their flight, probably. 

Scottygirl, IMO, you will easily make flight with self disembarkment. That does not require luggage tags since you carry all of your own.  In our case, I'm pretty sure that on that particular day, as long as we had an early number...1-10.. we could have had them handle the luggage for pickup and still made the flight with time to spare.  At the end of the line, probably not.

In my experience with many cruises, there ARE variables which factor into whether one makes their flight.  Ship may not arrive on schedule, luggage area is usually very crowded and finding your cases can be a real job, then customs and a taxi line, after that traffic, then the airport boarding queu.....Like others, I suggest early walk off.  We've made early flights every time we've sailed, but always get the 1st number if we don't do 'walk off' and find a porter (the $$ tip is worth it, he'll guide you through).  Less people waiting for customs, taxis, airport.

Scottie Girl:  Good luck, you should make it if you're nimble with sharp elbows...LOL.

Cruise Girl:  all of the above, but with a drive to Miami, it is doubtful if all doesn't go smoothly.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Why can't I make the flight, if I can get off the ship by 9am the drive to miami on a sunday is only 32-35 minutes and that still give me time to get to the gate.

If you do get off by 9am and if you really do manage the drive in only 35 mins, you'll only have about 30 mins to get from the kerb to the gate before boarding starts...

Do you have bags to check? ... Even if not it only takes a queue at security and an unlucky gate allocation and you'll be lucky to make the flight.

Miami is one of the worst airports for distance between security and gates, I always allow extra time there, never cutting it fine.

Good luck though.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Why can't I make the flight, if I can get off the ship by 9am the drive to miami on a sunday is only 32-35 minutes and that still give me time to get to the gate.

Sure. No problem.

Unless or until there is one of more of the following:

* A delay in docking

* A delay in debarkation

* A delay in clearing customs

* A delay in your car getting to you/you getting a taxi

* An accident on the road that shuts the road down, requires rerouting, or slows things significantly

* A road closure for some other reason

* Some kind of detour for any myriad number of reasons

* A delay getting to the airport

* Any kind of line checking your bags if applicable

* Any kind of delay at TSA - even with Pre-Check I've had lines

* Distance from TSA to your gate

Basically every single thing has to go right for a time frame that narrow. I would never want to end a relaxing vacation with that kind of stress.

• Like 1

Thank you everybody.

We will walk our bags off the ship and wake up early to stand online.  My concern in the cab, was thinking uber but read that took longer...not worried about the drive to the airport on a sunday but do know the airport be packed, we have tsa and we will check bags, we well know that airport to get to the gates especially for a small plane will be the farthest, but we hoping to get one of those trams to get us there.  Our plan is if we don't get a cab by 9:15-9:30 we have a hertz car rental waiting for us around Port Everglades, that be our back up plan.

Two weeks ago today(TA reflection) we docked in Ft. Lauderdale at the “Edge terminal 25”, and an early disembarkation was first greeted by a very long walk to luggage area and then immigration next door. When there are sufficient officers there, the lines move quickly and efficiently, but our lines were long as there were only two officers to start and about 9am more officers arrived, then the lines moved quicker.

Outside the terminal to the right(another long walk) is where you will find a taxi line controlled by a Sheriff. Ride to FLL is very quick even with all the traffic. Now, this was a Monday not a weekend so the traffic was nominal and the airport was still very busy! A Saturday or Sunday I would say that even with self disembarkation that early flight might be difficult to make. Even with our 7:30 ( we did not even attempt self disembarkation with a wheelchair) disembarkation time, it was immigration that held up progress and two numbers after ours was held up for almost 30 minutes to allow for the lines to diminish. We were checked in to Jet Blue and at the gate ( expedited because of the wheelchair and global entry) shortly before 10am for an 11:02 flight, that ended up being delayed an hour and a half.

Consider the day of the week before booking that early Flight!!

Hal

We disembarked the Equinox on Saturday November 30th.  Our luggage tag # was 12.  We were off the ship by 8:10 and at the airport before 9:00 AM.  The wait for the Uber was about 12 minutes.

They started letting people off the ship around 7:30 am that were carrying their own luggage.

Just now, dallasdan said:

We disembarked the Equinox on Saturday November 30th.  Our luggage tag # was 12.  We were off the ship by 8:10 and at the airport before 9:00 AM.  The wait for the Uber was about 12 minutes.

They started letting people off the ship around 7:30 am that were carrying their own luggage.

You were at MIA by 9am not getting off until 8:10?? The OP is flying out of MIA.

And yes, everything works until it doesn't. And sadly the cruiseline and airlines are not going to have pity on "But we never had this problem before..."