Premium Plus Beverage Package? How strict are they?

JBorowicz83

Hey everyone hope your holidays are going great. I am here with another value question for everyone.

The perk of the premium beverage package is usually a must if you drink on the cruise.

The question I have is whether it is worth it to upgrade to the premium plus beverage package?

Me and my wife said it would not be worth it if it was just the two of us on the cruise because how much specialty coffee, energy drinks, and bottled water, (along with expensive taste of alcohol  we would have to drink to make up the 35 dollar per day up charge to break even. 

The other side of me said but hey if another couple was cruising with us we could always pick up double specialty coffee, drinks, etc. for the group. 

While there is not really a way for them to police this I was wondering about the bottles of wine and champagne with dinner.

The main question i have is.....

If me and my wife got a bottle of wine on our card how strict would they be if the other couple at the table had some of the wine?

We figure that if two couples technically split the cost of the upgrade and everyone enjoyed specialty coffee, wine, energy drinks and such. Plus not having to buy water bottle packages this would probably be the only way upgrade is really worth it.

I mean I love me some Woodford Reserve and Glenlivit but it is not like I won't survive with Crown Royal.

Just now, ray98 said:

LOL....so steal things to make up for the difference.  Got it.

I don't know if its stealing if you pay for the package and then the upgrade on top of that, simply asked if they would be upset if you shared a bottle of wine at dinner.

8 minutes ago, JBorowicz83 said:

I don't know if its stealing if you pay for the package and then the upgrade on top of that, simply asked if they would be upset if you shared a bottle of wine at dinner.

I don't know exactly what you are trying to rationalize.  You are planning to take products that were presold to you in an individual package to give to other passengers so they don't have to buy it themselves.  Of course they would be upset.

Edited by ray98

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

This is the type of person that goes to a buffet restaurant with a family of four and buys one meal and sees what they can get away with ....... No difference.

Pretty sure I have never done that. Of course every time I post on here there has always the troll people that prefer to talk crap then actually just answer the question and that when you look at their post all they do is badger posters as if they are on some higher level. I really do not care what you think. Maybe think about answering post productively instead of lurking looking for people to try and belittle them. Of course the chances of you doing any of that are about as slim as you moving on from this thread. 

• Like 2

OP also said "The other side of me said but hey if another couple was cruising with us we could always pick up double specialty coffee, drinks, etc. for the group."  Seems like, at least to me, that they are trying to figure out how to scam the system.  Actions like these are the reason the package prices keep going up. 

27 minutes ago, JBorowicz83 said:

Why not ask if the wine can be shared on the ship, because you would get the best answer from them.  They will tell you if it is okay or if they consider it stealing.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

Why not ask if the wine can be shared on the ship, because you would get the best answer from them.  They will tell you if it is okay or if they consider it stealing.

Was looking for information ahead of time is all. 

Just now, NLH Arizona said:

OP also said "The other side of me said but hey if another couple was cruising with us we could always pick up double specialty coffee, drinks, etc. for the group."  Seems like, at least to me, that they are trying to figure out how to scam the system.  Actions like these are the reason the package prices keep going up. 

I think I've read where sharing wine at dinner is done and the waiters somewhat expect it.  But the getting other drinks for the group would be akin to sharing a buffet as someone said.  Not cool and would jeopardize your drink package.

Just now, MNcruisingcouple said:

Others have reported, that if the person with the Premium Plus package orders a bottle of wine with dinner, the waiters have just asked how many glasses they wanted.  

Thank you MNcrusingcouple for your straight forward answer to my question. You are a diamond in the rough of the internet cesspool of online messaging boards. 

• Like 1

Drink packages offer discounts on bottles of wine purchased.  If a bottle of wine is purchased, I see no rules who gets to drink it.  Now of course you cant order something you got free/included in your package and give it to someone else (i.e. glass of wine).  But if I purchase a $50 bottle of wine and shared it with a table guest is that not the same thing as if I got a 20% discount on the bottle because I am paying hundreds of dollars for the premium drink package?  A bottle of wine purchased whether with or without a drink package is always shared with a table.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

Stop trying to be cheap. If your friends want upgraded drinks then they can pay for the upgraded package themselves! Go ask the beverage manager when you get on the ship if it is ok for you to buy drinks throughout the duration of the cruise for people who do not have a package lol. Some people...SMH...

5 minutes ago, yankees111 said:

Stop trying to be cheap. If your friends want upgraded drinks then they can pay for the upgraded package themselves! Go ask the beverage manager when you get on the ship if it is ok for you to buy drinks throughout the duration of the cruise for people who do not have a package lol. Some people...SMH...

The other couple does have the premium beverage package, just not the premium plus for certain wines. You say cheap in this instance but in other instances it called smart and getting more for your buck. Is someone cheap for itemizing their taxes to get more back or claiming their charitable donations. We work within systems and if they allow me to share bottles of premium plus wine at the table because its accepted then so be it, some people are just better at the system. 

Go Stros!

Edited by JBorowicz83
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JBorowicz83 said:

The other couple does have the premium beverage package, just not the premium plus for certain wines. You say cheap in this instance but in other instances it called smart and getting more for your buck. Is someone cheap for itemizing their taxes to get more back or claiming their charitable donations. We work within systems and if they allow me to share bottles of premium plus wine at the table because its accepted then so be it, some people are just better at the system. 

If you took the time to read OP’s post he doesn’t just want to share an upgraded bottle of wine once or twice on the cruise. He wants to get his friends upgraded coffee’s & alcohol throughout the duration of the cruise.

2 minutes ago, yankees111 said:

If you took the time to read OP’s post he doesn’t just want to share an upgraded bottle of wine once or twice on the cruise. He wants to get his friends upgraded coffee’s & alcohol throughout the duration of the cruise.

The person you are quoting is the OP.   🙂

3 minutes ago, yankees111 said:

I am the original poster and if you read the whole thing i'm asking what they are strict on what they are not strict with. The first person said if you share the coffee drinks etc you risk looking your drinking privileged and then after some trolls posting another person said / agreed the coffee drinks etc is too much but the premium plus bottles of wine are shared by the table.  It goes on to say that I am not sure its worth it depending on what you are able to do. 

Edited by JBorowicz83

5 minutes ago, JBorowicz83 said:

Go Stros!

The system specifically says that the package cannot be shared. So no, you're not better at the system - sharing it's explicitly against the system. 

premium-plus-beverage-package(1).pdf

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

The person you are quoting is the OP.   🙂

That just makes it all the worse! Bottom line is no one would care if the OP shared a bottle of wine once or twice at dinner but buying drinks throughout the cruise will be a problem.

Just now, smplybcause said:

The system specifically says that the package cannot be shared. So no, you're not better at the system - sharing it's explicitly against the system. 

premium-plus-beverage-package(1).pdf 723.29 kB · 0 downloads

People have said that the waiters consider a bottle of wine to be by the table. Which was the main question i asked in my original post.