So it looks like NCL's war on seafood has extended to the MDR lunch menu

PortFees45

I saw the new MDR lunch menu on the Encore. 

No more

- cajun shrimp salad

- crab stuffed potato skins

- grilled mahi mahi sandwich (used to be grouper)

- spicy shrimp pasta dish (forget the name)

All that's left in terms of seafood is the fish & chips, which is the same cheap gross whitefish they serve in MDR now under 4 different names, and a tuna melt (probably canned tuna, what luxury) and popcorn shrimp which are little half bits of shrimp with the veins still in them. 

Yes I know everyone complained about the never changing MDR lunch menu, but these changes are a downgrade for sure.

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

No more

- cajun shrimp salad

All that's left in terms of seafood is the fish & chips, which is the same cheap gross whitefish they serve in MDR now under 4 different names, and a tuna melt (probably canned tuna, what luxury) and popcorn shrimp which are little half bits of shrimp with the veins still in them. 

Yes I know everyone complained about the never changing MDR lunch menu, but these changes are a downgrade for sure.

While continuing to raise cruise fares, FDR feels he is doing you a favor by dropping seafood and adding cheap wieners and chicken.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Good.....none of those ever really got my interest for lunch.  Hopefully they will add some other options that I would consider.

Agree. No loss. 

The new turkey cottage pie was very good. 

6554679E-9668-45D7-910F-482ED3B30974.jpeg

075A43D9-DFB3-4324-A54E-45EF0CFB8AE9.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am sure there is a cost reasoning behind this. There used to be a lot of crab and lobster on cruises back in the day. When I was little I remember my parents on Carnival where they could order as many lobster tails as they liked. Every thing is driven by money and cost, so I assume there is more value in the changes. I do love some seafood though. I always balked at the BBQ....just not the same but I always have at least on option I enjoy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBorowicz83 said:

I am sure there is a cost reasoning behind this. There used to be a lot of crab and lobster on cruises back in the day. When I was little I remember my parents on Carnival where they could order as many lobster tails as they liked. Every thing is driven by money and cost, so I assume there is more value in the changes. I do love some seafood though. I always balked at the BBQ....just not the same but I always have at least on option I enjoy. 

I think you are correct about cost, at least where lobster is involved.  When it was available I think many were glutenous when eating five, six and even saw someone post that they ate twelve.  When they were in the buffet, I saw folks whose plates were piled so high that the lobster was spilling on the floor.  I believe if folks just had one or two, they might still be on the menu.

2 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

No more

- cajun shrimp salad

You are right.  This new MDR lunch menu is certainly a downgrade ... but it's not a completely horrible menu.  :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, IrieBajan54 said:

While continuing to raise cruise fares, FDR feels he is doing you a favor by dropping seafood and adding cheap wieners and chicken.

Well, I guess Andy Stuart is just cashing in that CEO check for making zero decisions....  why won't anyone complain about Andy selling out and not standing up for the seafood lovers of the world.

If FDR is getting bashed for this too... it's no wonder he makes as much as RCCL / Carnival CEOs combined...... FDR has a NCL CEO doing nothing while he's also running NCLH. 

Edited by esm54687

1 minute ago, OHRiverRats said:

😪 I used to be able to eat seafood every meal, now it looks like my only seafood options will be at specialty restaurants. For an upcharge. For my convenience of course. 

Yeah variety would be best I think. A seafood option, chicken option, beef option, and veggie option with a few revolving options seems like it would be for the best for more people.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

No more

- cajun shrimp salad

So sorry that this happened to you. I hope that you find a way to look past it.

• Like 1