Coastal Kitchen Not for Jr. Suites - Oasis

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

5 cruises on Oasis Class. 4 great experiences in the SL/CK. All 5 had 630 dining time.

Seems as numbers increase, it will become more of an issue. 

We have three upcoming cruises with CK access. Cannot wait to see how each experience is difference. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

5 cruises on Oasis Class. 4 great experiences in the SL/CK. All 5 had 630 dining time.

Seems as numbers increase, it will become more of an issue. 

But you're including one that had 250 Pins.

Plus, you were warned to avoid it.😉

• Like 1

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes to both. 

Royal should have made adjustments. We should have asked for a FCC. 

Probably should have. Some folks are very good at that.

You should try Oasis. CK and SL were ghost towns in early January. 

I'm pretty sure next week on Harmony will be packed. Luckily Super Bowl is filet night, so we should be good👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Probably should have. Some folks are very good at that.

You should try Oasis. CK and SL were ghost towns in early January. 

I'm pretty sure next week on Harmony will be packed. Luckily Super Bowl is filet night, so we should be good👍

Something is just WRONG when someone who books a GS or higher can’t get reservations onboard for the CK all week. The only reason I knew to request ahead of time was info here on CC. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Something is just WRONG when someone who books a GS or higher can’t get reservations onboard for the CK all week. The only reason I knew to request ahead of time was info here on CC. 

I thought it was in your letter from Concierge 

1 minute ago, Tulsacoker said:

Same here... I was wondering if there is a pecking order for CK Suites>Pinnacles? 

Officially suites are first since they are the ones who can book 5+ days in advance.

Savvy Pins can get reservations 1 day early

But lets face it, there isn't enough capacity in there for all the full suite passengers to eat there every single night, and there are limited prime slots

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

We got one in August when we had a GS

Guess I really don't pay much attention to the letter any more and immediately email back our standing dinner times. Now on our Alaska cruise I will go over that and see about reservation on Northstar 

1 hour ago, Tulsacoker said:

That there would be trying to move a mountain. I'm assuming Zenethis were never able to dine in Luminae where Pinnacles were allowed.  

There is nothing new in Royal Caribbean putting people out of places where they were once allowed.  The only new part would be including Pinnacles.  Diamond C&A members were once allowed in Concierge Clubs but they were put out of those lounges years ago.  Now, Diamond Plus members are being put out of Concierge Clubs.  Why would it surprise anyone if Pinnacles were next? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I've never had a problem getting reservation in CK at the times i desired but always email back the concierge as soon as get the welcome email so guess suites do have first crack like you said John

We’ve never had ANY issues getting a reservation time we requested ahead of time. However, we had an issue being seated at our time. Once just over 45 minutes and once even a pair who saw our table that was just cleared and sat themselves. They said they were entitled to the CK. I don’t think they were Suite Guests. 

2 minutes ago, actuarian said:

There is nothing new in Royal Caribbean putting people out of places where they were once allowed.  The only new part would be including Pinnacles.  Diamond C&A members were once allowed in Concierge Clubs but they were put out of those lounges years ago.  Now, Diamond Plus members are being put out of Concierge Clubs.  Why would it surprise anyone if Pinnacles were next? 

So were there both Diamond and Concierge Lounges and Diamond and above could access both? seems redundant 

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Officially suites are first since they are the ones who can book 5+ days in advance.

Savvy Pins can get reservations 1 day early

But lets face it, there isn't enough capacity in there for all the full suite passengers to eat there every single night, and there are limited prime slots

What about B2B P’s for the following week?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We’ve never had ANY issues getting a reservation time we requested ahead of time. However, we had an issue being seated at our time. Once just over 45 minutes and once even a pair who saw our table that was just cleared and sat themselves. They said they were entitled to the CK. I don’t think they were Suite Guests. 

Yikes! we have waited a little before but only due to people at the table finishing up 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I thought it was in your letter from Concierge 

Read this. It indicates reservations are required for dinner but doesn’t say one must do it ahead of time.  It also says that (Sky)  we are offered exclusive amenities not available to other guests onboard. 

9FEBB340-740C-4490-807C-BADE1AA7ADFB.png

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

2 hours ago, actuarian said:

I have been on Celebrity many times, often in Sky Suites which are the Celebrity equivalent (in size) to Royal Caribbean Junior Suites.  On Celebrity, people in Sky Suites can take all their meals in Luminae (their Suite restaurant) and there is always enough space.  The difference is that Celebrity Zenith members are not admitted to Luminae.  Celebrity is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean and it is about time for Royal Caribbean to follow their subsidiary's example.  If Royal Caribbean provided the same perks for Junior Suites that Celebrity provides for Sky Suites, then it would surely also charge more for Junior Suites so there is also a revenue motivation there.  It is also not a matter of there being too many Junior Suites because on a typical Royal Ship (the Oasis), 3% of the total cabins are Junior Suites while on a typical Celebrity Ship (the Solstice), 3% of the total cabins are Sky Suites. 

Sky suites on Celebrity are really equivalent to a grand suite on Royal- a Jr. suite on royal, really doesn't get many perks- If you have a grand suite, or a sky suite, you have access to the suite lounge, deck, restaurants, reserved show seats and many other amenities.  The Jr. suite, while a great size on Royal, is really a large balcony cabin (great closet) with a few perks.  It also typically costs much less then a sky suite.  If you consider that on Celebrity, you get 4 perks with a sky suite, plus the perks mentioned above,  while it might cost more it is a better deal.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Same here... I was wondering if there is a pecking order for CK Suites>Pinnacles? 

Suites can book their reservations in advance, giving them preference to times.  As far as a pecking order, we have found it depends on the ship, Anthem Coastal Kitchen does not show an outright bias to Pinnacles as we have experienced on Oasis class.  There will always be overly demanding Pinnacle or Suite guests but Anthem does a much better job of making sure those do not effect the experience of others in CK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

John, what are the current offerings?

Here are my thoughts from 18 months ago

Below is my opinion on some hits and misses in CK. This is the typical order from Oasis. Allure switches it up and have not been on Harmony yet. We tend to eat at 6pm. Lots of two tops, but they can reconfigure if needed

Day 1 - what I typically order - Smoked Tomato soup, Shrimp Cocktail, Filet (medium rare)

I occasionally get the Cauliflower Steak, it's interesting, because I know I'll end up with half of Laura's filet.

Overall it's one of the best menus of the week. No need to do a specialty for D+ bogo or FNDR

Day 2 - Creamy Artichoke soup, shrimp cocktail or Caesar Salad, and either Veal Tenderloin or Prime Rib

Day 3 - not much of interest, this used to be when they had Rack of Lamb in MDR. I think it's now either before or after second formal (lobster night) depending on the itinerary. I do like the Green Curry Coconut Soup. the cod is ok. Scallop appetizer is a real downer. 4 slices of paper thin scallops.

Day 4 - not much again, maybe the roast chicken because the farro risotto is very good The soup is ok, Seafood Veloute'. Crab Cake is disappointing.

Day 5 - the trifecta of let's go somewhere else. I don't even care for the soup, Mushroom consome. Shortrib can be ok, the duck is just nasty. Spaetzle, fried brocoli, and a sickingly sweet blueberry sauce. I can eat the flounder if needed. This may be lamb night in the MDR now.

Day 6 - Formal (every other week it's day 5, so 5 and 6 rotate) Rissoto is good, lobster is hit or miss and it wasn't poached in June. I don't care for the Champagne sauce, but fava beans w/leeks are good. Seared scallops entree is really good. I often order that with a lobster tail on the side.

Day 7 - Fennel soup, escargot, cauliflower fried rice. sometimes I'll get veal chop. They also have lamb shank, i hear it's good, just not a fan.

Dessert is almost always Banana Split from kiddie menu. There are a couple others, but i don't recall what or what night they appear.

Trying to find the post with the menus, search is time consuming when you have a bazillion posts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Here are my thoughts from 18 months ago

Below is my opinion on some hits and misses in CK. This is the typical order from Oasis. Allure switches it up and have not been on Harmony yet. We tend to eat at 6pm. Lots of two tops, but they can reconfigure if needed

Day 1 - what I typically order - Smoked Tomato soup, Shrimp Cocktail, Filet (medium rare)

I occasionally get the Cauliflower Steak, it's interesting, because I know I'll end up with half of Laura's filet.

Overall it's one of the best menus of the week. No need to do a specialty for D+ bogo or FNDR

Day 2 - Creamy Artichoke soup, shrimp cocktail or Caesar Salad, and either Veal Tenderloin or Prime Rib

Day 3 - not much of interest, this used to be when they had Rack of Lamb in MDR. I think it's now either before or after second formal (lobster night) depending on the itinerary. I do like the Green Curry Coconut Soup. the cod is ok. Scallop appetizer is a real downer. 4 slices of paper thin scallops.

Day 4 - not much again, maybe the roast chicken because the farro risotto is very good The soup is ok, Seafood Veloute'. Crab Cake is disappointing.

Day 5 - the trifecta of let's go somewhere else. I don't even care for the soup, Mushroom consome. Shortrib can be ok, the duck is just nasty. Spaetzle, fried brocoli, and a sickingly sweet blueberry sauce. I can eat the flounder if needed. This may be lamb night in the MDR now.

Day 6 - Formal (every other week it's day 5, so 5 and 6 rotate) Rissoto is good, lobster is hit or miss and it wasn't poached in June. I don't care for the Champagne sauce, but fava beans w/leeks are good. Seared scallops entree is really good. I often order that with a lobster tail on the side.

Day 7 - Fennel soup, escargot, cauliflower fried rice. sometimes I'll get veal chop. They also have lamb shank, i hear it's good, just not a fan.

Dessert is almost always Banana Split from kiddie menu. There are a couple others, but i don't recall what or what night they appear.

Trying to find the post with the menus, search is time consuming when you have a bazillion posts

That's very helpful.    

Our next cruise will be interesting.  I had weight loss surgery a week ago today.  Losing about a pound a day.  Typical meal is about a 1/4 cup but really not hungry.  You said the W/J was especially good on Harmony.  Is it better that the other ships?  That might work better  since I'm suppose to be eating multiple small amounts.