Lots taken anything added that you like?

SanDiego Single

14 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I also like the HSC (which isn't something that's been "given") but I do like it.  At least now, there's no "what's an appropriate amount" discussion going on in the cabin ad nauseum.  The HSC ensures that the crew are getting at least an acceptable amount, and whatever we might add is truly extra.  And that means we can relax and enjoy, without THOSE discussions.

Agreed. Relax and enjoy!

6 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Since Dive-In was mentioned, I recommend the Dunkin Dog (think that's what it's called).

It's loaded with jalapeno peppers, and that great special sauce! 

Sounds interesting. Do they serve that by the slice? I am up to trying new things. Any idea what the "special Sauce" is?

Thought of a "new event" that has been started on most sailings:  the Sip and Savor.  Late afternoon, 5:00 P. M., I think,  with the Cellar Master present offering the white and red wine "of the day" with a tid bit prepared by the Pinnacle Grill Chef, i.e. crab cakes, sometimes.  The wines presented are not among those in the wine packages.  For me, some are worth ordering a bottle; most are not.  Not free:  the cost is $5 with an additional charge, depending upon the Cellar Master in charge, if one wants a re-fill.  Some allow it; some don't.  Only one service of the "tid bit" unless there are leftovers.

This program offering is very pleasant to connect with others that enjoy wine and also enjoy an always small group setting.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SanDiego Single said:

Sounds interesting. Do they serve that by the slice? I am up to trying new things. Any idea what the "special Sauce" is?

It's a hot dog.  😎 

And have no clue as to what the sauce contains, but it's darn tasty! It's served on the burgers and fries as well. 

Bon appetit!

48 minutes ago, SanDiego Single said:

Sounds like you had a great time. How did you enjoy the ports on this cruise?

On the first 10 days between Auckland and Sydney to some New Caledonia islands, the ports were your typical low key island ports, but that leg allowed us to overcome the jet lag. But at all of the Australian ports, we made it a must to book HAL excursions where we saw animals, and there were plenty. If you ever get the opportunity to go to Australia, go!

A few on my short list ... 

- Pinnacle class 270 deg World Stage

- NY Deli

- Culinary Arts Centre (although it's been repurposed to Club Orange) 

- Tamarind -- and alfresco seating

- Dutch Cafe

- On board app (Navigator) -- which is super useful

- Music Walk concept

- New art -- less old master repro and pivot to something engaging 

- New top-end dining choices 

- Grab and go in the Lido (pre-made sandwiches in deli bags)

- Less cruise staff (respectfully HAL loyalists -- I'm 4 star myself, I don't need a vacation interlocutor)

Scott.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thought of a "new event" that has been started on most sailings:  the Sip and Savor.  Late afternoon, 5:00 P. M., I think,  with the Cellar Master present offering the white and red wine "of the day" with a tid bit prepared by the Pinnacle Grill Chef, i.e. crab cakes, sometimes.  The wines presented are not among those in the wine packages.  For me, some are worth ordering a bottle; most are not.  Not free:  the cost is $5 with an additional charge, depending upon the Cellar Master in charge, if one wants a re-fill.  Some allow it; some don't.  Only one service of the "tid bit" unless there are leftovers.

This program offering is very pleasant to connect with others that enjoy wine and also enjoy an always small group setting.  

Sounds perfect. Where is this event held? 5 dollars seems reasonable. At least in IMHO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thought of a "new event" that has been started on most sailings:  the Sip and Savor.  Late afternoon, 5:00 P. M., I think,  with the Cellar Master present offering the white and red wine "of the day" with a tid bit prepared by the Pinnacle Grill Chef, i.e. crab cakes, sometimes.  The wines presented are not among those in the wine packages. 

The Sip and Savour is a nice event but I didn’t realize it was considered “new”.  it’s been offered on a number of my sailings over the last several years.  Mind you my most recent have been on the departed Prinsendam (which offered it for some time) and the Rotterdam.

It might be new on the larger ships?  

In any case, it’s certainly a nice option IMO.  Especially when they offer local type appetizers for the ports you are visiting.

6 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

- NY Deli

- Dutch Cafe

- Music Walk concept

- Less cruise staff (respectfully HAL loyalists -- I'm 4 star myself, I don't need a vacation interlocutor)

Scott.   

Can't believe I forgot the Dutch Cafe, thanx!  "Broodje Kroket" is the hot tip there!

Image may contain: food

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

On the first 10 days between Auckland and Sydney to some New Caledonia islands, the ports were your typical low key island ports, but that leg allowed us to overcome the jet lag. But at all of the Australian ports, we made it a must to book HAL excursions where we saw animals, and there were plenty. If you ever get the opportunity to go to Australia, go!

I have been to Australia a couple of time but for work. I didn't have time to enjoy the country and I am planning a trip soon. Trying to decide between a cruise or just a land based visit.

We have started going to at least some of the Wine Tastings. We skipped the highest-dollar one because our tastes aren't that sophisticated yet! The Sip&Savo(u)r sounds good on upcoming 28-day SoPacific cruise.

I know that some hate it, but we enjoyed having the Explorations Cafe in the Crows Nest... made the transition from morning to afternoon seamless! 

Edited by crystalspin

9 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

We have started going to at least some of the Wine Tastings. The Sip&Savo(u)r sounds good on upcoming 28-day SoPacific cruise.

I know that some hate it, but we enjoyed having the Explorations Cafe in the Crows Nest... makes the transition from morning to afternoon seamless! 

I also enjoy the Explorations Cafe. Enjoy your upcoming cruise! Sounds amazing.

5 minutes ago, SanDiego Single said:

I have been to Australia a couple of time but for work. I didn't have time to enjoy the country and I am planning a trip soon. Trying to decide between a cruise or just a land based visit.

By cruising around Australia and going on excursions at every port, we got tobriefly experience the vastly different coastal areas of Australia along with going to the Komodo Island in Indonesia to see the dragons. Unfortunately the waters were too rough to tender to Kangaroo Island in the southern Australia to see the seals, but Tasmania was also a wonderful place to visit. On top of that we learned a ton about the evolution of the Southern Hemisphere via the various lectures we attended. 

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

By cruising around Australia and going on excursions at every port, we got tobriefly experience the vastly different coastal areas of Australia along with going to the Komodo Island in Indonesia to see the dragons. Unfortunately the waters were too rough to tender to Kangaroo Island in the southern Australia to see the seals, but Tasmania was also a wonderful place to visit. On top of that we learned a ton about the evolution of the Southern Hemisphere via the various lectures we attended. 

Thanks Mr. Cruiser. I am definitely leaning towards a cruise. What you mention is of course the main reason to take a cruise vacation rather than land based. Thanks for your feedback! 🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It was the Voyage of the Good Nuts; it was on the Noordam in 2009, IIRC. 

Hi, Yes I was on that cruise. But it seems to me they continued that on to other cruises? But  I am old and memory along with my wallet are things I seem to have lost more often than I like.

8 minutes ago, SanDiego Single said:

But it seems to me they continued that on to other cruises?

I don't know who you mean by 'they' here. That was just a group of CC/HAL friends who all took a cruise together, and called it by that name. 
For most, it was one of several (or more) cruises together, but was the only one that time. 

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

- NY Deli

- Dutch Cafe

- Music Walk concept

Scott.   

Funny, I wouldn't put any of these on a list of HAL improvements. 

33 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I don't know who you mean by 'they' here. That was just a group of CC/HAL friends who all took a cruise together, and called it by that name. 
For most, it was one of several (or more) cruises together, but was the only one that time. 

I mean the folks who were on the ship who called it "The Voyage of the Good Nuts". That was a great cruise and I really enjoyed the ship and the ports. Haven't been to the Caribbean since.

6 hours ago, SanDiego Single said:

I am wondering what you like about HAL.

I like the itineraries.  But the actual cruise experience enjoyment is dwindling. 

I'm not a fan of the new entertainment (including BB Kings - just not my style of music).  I get that many others do, so I think it's OK that it's been added, but why get rid of the big shows in the theater? 

Using a big theater/stage for an individual performer is just a waste.  OK, so they've added One Step - again, not a fan of them either.  It's not the style of dancing that I like.  I can deal with having one or two performances by this group (on long cruises) as long as there's still the big production shows.  My all time "best show" award goes to a production of "Encore" we saw on our HAL Panama Canal cruise a few years ago.  Sadly, it was only on the ship briefly.  

Edited by Shmoo here

Scanning of cruise cards at the muster drill is an improvement.

The old yellow bar soap used to turn to mush, the new ones don't.

Park West art auctions have been eliminated. Good riddance.

Are the bar crawls new? I don't participate, but am all in favor.

50 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

My all time "best show" award goes to a production of "Encore" we saw on our HAL Panama Canal cruise a few years ago.  Sadly, it was only on the ship briefly.  

Agreed. That show was introduced when HAL made a decision to improve the quality of the evening performances. There would be fewer dancers, and better quality singers. Encore was an outstanding reflection of that commitment. 

And then HAL changed their mind---again---and went in a different direction. 

The Navigator app is quite nice.  DH and I look at and discuss the dinner menu about a million times throughout the day.

The fluffy all-white bedding seems crisp and clean.

I do like Lincoln Center Stage and BB King Blues, but would like a show in the showroom, too.

It's nice we don't have to wear the life vests to the muster drill.

Boarding is a dream with the staterooms ready so quickly.

The dinner menus are healthier, not all "meat and potatoes."  There are many grains and vegetables incorporated into the menus, in keeping with the modern, light style of dining.

Dive-in is very good, though we are rarely able to fit it into the daily mix.

• Like 1