Koningsdam or volendam for Alaska?

lstrong

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Koningsdam in a heart beat

Agree.  

Bigger, newer, more stuff. Also, great prices on balconies because there are so many.

We've been on the Kdam and her sister the Nieuw Statendam and we are sold.  Ready for the third one....the Ryndam.  

Swimming against the stream for this one: in the cabin type(s) you are booking, insides or obstructed views on the Lower Promenade are the best deal going: steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship.

Watch out though, not to pick an OV under the Galley! Forward of Galley or under the dining room are OK -- line the deck plans up or use Cabin Check Tool on cruisedeckplans.com.

• Like 1

Volendam, no question. The inside cabins are so much larger on this class ship than they are on the Koningsdam. The Volendam has a love seat and a chair at the desk, whereas the Koningsdam inside doesn't even have a chair to sit on. 
Similar statements can be made about the outside cabins. 

The Volendam has a great promenade where you can sit and watch the scenery; the Koningsdam does not. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Also the Volendam leaves midweek and you are in the ports on the weekend -- fewer people.

Also fewer people on the Volendam than on the Koningsdam.

Excellent point regarding schedule.  My biggest complaint with the Alaska cruises is having too many ships in port at the same time.  If your personal schedule allows going mid week to mid week, that would be my choice.

Koningsdam has more to offer on sea days, but Volendam rooms are bigger and bathrooms were updated when we were on her last year.  We won't book an inside on the Pinnacle class. Ruth is correct!

• 2 months later...

We are asking the same question for an Alaskan cruise, but would be booking a balcony with three adults in the room.  We have DH and me and DS 24?  I was thinking the Koningsdam as DS loves newer big ships with lots to do.  Midweek doesn't work as well due to work schedules, but we could do it.  What do you think?  The Eurodam from Seattle (cheaper more direct airfare) is also a possibility, but we've been to Victoria many times before (sometimes staying for a whole week), and I thought maybe it would be worth it to spend more time in the inside passage and just fly to and from Vancouver.  I'm torn for sure.  From Seattle there is also the Ruby Princess and NCL Bliss, but I'm leaning toward HAL due to the great reputation they have for knowing how to do Alaska.  Seeing Glacier Bay was a must do.  Also we are looking at Seattle to Seattle or Vancouver to Vancouver.  Doing a cruise tour too (typically done with the one way itineraries) although, it sounds amazing is just way out of our budget for this, so not a consideration.

30 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

We are asking the same question for an Alaskan cruise, but would be booking a balcony with three adults in the room.  We have DH and me and DS 24?  I was thinking the Koningsdam as DS loves newer big ships with lots to do.  Midweek doesn't work as well due to work schedules, but we could do it.  What do you think?  The Eurodam from Seattle (cheaper more direct airfare) is also a possibility, but we've been to Victoria many times before (sometimes staying for a whole week), and I thought maybe it would be worth it to spend more time in the inside passage and just fly to and from Vancouver.  I'm torn for sure.  From Seattle there is also the Ruby Princess and NCL Bliss, but I'm leaning toward HAL due to the great reputation they have for knowing how to do Alaska.  Seeing Glacier Bay was a must do.  Also we are looking at Seattle to Seattle or Vancouver to Vancouver.  Doing a cruise tour too (typically done with the one way itineraries) although, it sounds amazing is just way out of our budget for this, so not a consideration.

Hi Kathy,

I live on Vancouver Island, and the Inside Passage is AMAZING!  You will see a lot more wildlife through the Inside Passage as well.  If the pricing is really good for you to fly to Seattle instead, you can take the Amrak train from Seattle to Vancouver....its a really nice trip as well.

I was also on the Koningsdam last January, and we had a verandah on deck 4. Our room was 4191, and it was a large extended verandah.  This is the video of the room I took, if you want to see the size of the room and verandah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O65kOVKoVfY

However, whichever ship you take, I'm sure you will have a great time!

L.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kathy884 said:

I didn't look up all of your options, but we sailed Volendam and sister ship Zaandam to Alaska. My 35-yo sister was not bored on the Zaandam -- young people just find each other! So Mid-week is not ruled out. Vancouver R/T and Glacier Bay make the "best" 7-day cruise! Also, Alaska is not about ships with lots to do on board -- the scenery and the port activities will make up for that.

• Like 2

Take a look at whatinport or cruise timetables websites to check the ports on the itineraries. If one itinerary works out to have fewer ships in port with you, that could be a driving force in the decision. 

I don't like the K. As long as the itineraries were similar, I'd much prefer to do Alaska on one of the smaller ships. 

• Like 1

Koningsdam is the largest of the HAL ships.  She leaves on Saturday and gets to Juneau on Monday--a very busy day. Goes to Skagway with three other ships and will be crowded.  Ketchikan  Also has four or five chips in .

Volendam carries 1440 passengers.  She leaves Vancouver on Wednesday and gets to Juneau on Friday and it is less crowded and the same with Skagway .   

They are both nice ships,   

• Like 2

Back in 2010 my first cruise to Alaska was on the Amsterdam.  I have done 3 more on RCI.

This year I will do Koningsdam the last week for the season in September and then stay on for another week going down the coast of California and Oregon to San Diego.

Very much looking forward to this B2B.  Take a look.  The prices were pretty good too.

I am also looking forward to the sister earlier in the year to Norway on Statendam.

The Koningsdam is basically a brand new ship. Their inside cabins are very well thought out and you get plenty of storage and closet space and a very nice bathroom.

Nevertheless you're in Alaska for the scenery and you can hang out forward on the Sky  deck 14 forward or deck 11 aft if you want to sit outside or even by the aft pool on 9.

But really bottom line if you can you want to get a veranda.

Never been on Volendam but this is baloney about Koningsdam being a BIG ship. You don't feel crowded at all. It's clean and modern. The music offerings are fantastic. The HAL loyalists have to open their eyes and get with it a little bit. In reality Koningsdam and the other Pinnacle class ships are only medium ships compared to the other cruise lines.

Enjoy your cruising days.

• Like 1