Need a quiet place to study on the Valor

diesteldorf

Boarding the Valor later today....Monday, 12/2

I've been on many cruises but never while taking graduate classes at the same time.

I purchased the Premium Internet plan just in case.

I know I can study in my cabin, but the table/vanity isn't very big and It'll be shared by other family members.

Laptop should have a decent battery, but I would prefer to be able to plugin if possible.

Do the libraries have outlets?

Would anyone care to give advice/suggestions...?

The good news is that all of my assignments should be wrapped up by Wednesday.

I recall that the libraries on Conquest class ships were usually somewhat busy with kids and adult pax playing board games and cards.  They also schedule Friends of Bill (and sometimes Friends of Jimmy) for private functions in the libraries.

As mentioned, the piano bar and disco are empty during the day, as are the small rooms outside of the 4th deck entrance to the mid ship MDR, right around the corner from the library.

• Like 1

Just on the Valor last week.  Your cruise will likely be quieter in general than ours was.  While the library seems the obvious choice, it was often closed or being used for a specific purpose.  Funtimes says it is open 24 hours per day but that wasn't really the case.  Early in the cruise before it is discovered though, it is probably a good choice if open.  Red Frog Pub doesn't start serving until mid-day or early afternoon.  It was pretty much empty until that time.  It is a pretty bright indoor space if that is something you are looking for.  I didn't go in the Piano Bar or Nightclub, but those were probably also empty during the day.  I think there are also some outside spaces on the lower decks that aren't that well known.  Overall it shouldn't be that hard to find a place.  I will warn you that the internet is inconsistent.  It really didn't work in our room at all.  Where it works, the speed is ok, but lots of places on the ship where it didn't work at all.

All the suggestions so far are excellent. I would echo the suggestion that the library, although traditionally is a quiet place, isn't always on cruise ships as there are often many board games being played in this area. The suggestion of places that would be "jumping" during the evening are very quiet are usually empty during the day is an excellent one. 🙂

On 12/2/2019 at 12:16 AM, diesteldorf said:

Boarding the Valor later today....Monday, 12/2

I've been on many cruises but never while taking graduate classes at the same time.

I purchased the Premium Internet plan just in case.

I know I can study in my cabin, but the table/vanity isn't very big and It'll be shared by other family members.

Laptop should have a decent battery, but I would prefer to be able to plugin if possible.

Do the libraries have outlets?

Would anyone care to give advice/suggestions...?

The good news is that all of my assignments should be wrapped up by Wednesday.

I don't know about plugs, but the Valor has a "secret" deck up front that's ALWAYS quiet! I forget what deck it's on.... I think it's deck 10, all the way in the front. There are benches out there.

55 minutes ago, Bookster99 said:

I don't know about plugs, but the Valor has a "secret" deck up front that's ALWAYS quiet! I forget what deck it's on.... I think it's deck 10, all the way in the front. There are benches out there.

6  and 7 and 10 

BUt note that the disco is a smoking area.  (you just cant smoke on the dance floor.)   so people will be going in there to smoke

4 minutes ago, serene56 said:

6  and 7 and 10 

BUt note that the disco is a smoking area.  (you just cant smoke on the dance floor.)   so people will be going in there to smoke

Good call. I never had that problem on the Valor: Probably I wasn't out there when the disco was in full swing. My hope is the OP will have put the laptop away and be enjoyiong the cruise by that time of evening.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the positive suggestions.  I will be graduating soon, so I don't anticipate having this issue in the future, but the replies were definitely appreciated and helpful.  I lucked out, possibly, because Tuesday and Wednesday may still be considered relatively early in the cruise---The library has been pretty much dead.  Last night, I pretty much camped out the entire day finishing a paper and working on other assignments.

The employees came in late at night at night to clean and vacuum, but didn't ask me to leave and the bigger tables were much better than those in the cabin.  The library has one outlet that I was able to access, and I'm still kind of surprised that more people don't utilize the space.

The door to the library is opened by pushing in, so quite a few people would try to pull the door out and think it was locked.  One lady kept tapping, I didn't hear her right away, until I let her in...LOL.

I may have also been helped by the fact that our two ports are back to back and many people are probably not going to put in a late night in the library when they have an excursion the following day.  

The internet has actually been working extremely well and didn't let me down when I had to submit assignments.  It's also worked for Youtube and Netflix, though I know it isn't officially supposed to support it.  

On other ships, the library is often used for the Chef's Table, but this library seems smaller and too full of furniture to serve as an adequate venue for food, though I almost attempted to order a pizza, just to see if they would actually deliver it to the library while I was working.

One class wrapped up last night and other wraps on Monday.  All other assignments don't have to be completed until Sunday night--very minimal-so I should be able to put the books away going forward.

Edited by diesteldorf
  • Like 1