Cruise Critic Community
John Reid

D+ internet discount

Kids,

Anyone know the percentage discount for D+ on single Voom for the entire cruise? I'm measuring it against the current and actual sale for my upcoming cruise. 

Thanks in advance.

Either $46 (approx) off a package OR two free continuous 24-hour periods of unlimited internet.

On board Oasis.  The onboard discount for D+ is $55.64 or two days of Surf.

Edited by twangster

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

On board Oasis.  The onboard discount for D+ is $55.64 or two days of Surf.

Thanks for the update.

How much is one 24-hour period of internet?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The onboard discount for D+ is $55.64 or two days of Surf.

Was there an official sign with all the numbers? It seems like VOOM is following all the other pricing going dynamic - just hope the 18% grats is not next.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Was there an official sign with all the numbers? It seems like VOOM is following all the other pricing going dynamic - just hope the 18% grats is not next.

I went down to look at the handout since the math seemed weird.

Surf 24 hr pass is $22.99.  No mention of gratuity.

191202-1.jpg

That should make the D+ discount $45.98 discount.  The C&A onboard offers paper in my cabin states $55.64 discount.

191202-2.jpg

Maybe sometimes Royal math works in our favor?

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

The C&A onboard offers paper in my cabin states $55.64 discount.

Don't go by that - that's like the RCI web site - it might be late in getting updated and/or full of typos. What does the online device price say? 

Biker, who thinks both prices may be wrong.

Edited by Biker19

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Don't go by that - that's like the RCI web site - it might be late in getting updated and/or full of typos. What does the online device price say?

Not allowed to view that, I have a prepaid package.  

With the prepaid package your only option is to use your prepaid package.  I pulled the handout off the desk of the Voom kiosk.

The line at the Voom desk is 30 deep for the second day.  If I see them idle whan passing by I'll ask what's up.  Come day 5 I plan to convert my plan to two device by visiting them so worst case I'll see then what my discount vs. pricing is on day 5.

Edited by twangster

Now I know why the line is so long at the Voom desk:

191202-3.jpg

It seems the onboard portal to login has crashed.  I'm logged in already so I'm good, so far.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

It seems the onboard portal to login has crashed.

So, it's not just the physical things that are sometimes still a work in progress after a dry dock.

So I inquired about the $55.64 amount at the Voom kiosk.  She just chuckled a bit.  It's supposed to be 2 x $22.99 for D+.  She has no idea where they came up with that number.

She did say to let her know what days I want to use my D+ days and she'll make my account a two device plan for those days.  Since I have a prepaid Surf & Stream that's actually a better deal since I'll get streaming on two devices, not that I need to stream on two devices at the same time being solo.   

Edited by twangster

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

So I inquired about the $55.64 amount at the Voom kiosk.  She just chuckled a bit.  It's supposed to be 2 x $22.99 for D+.  She has no idea where they came up with that number.

She did say to let her know what days I want to use my D+ days and she'll make my account a two device plan for those days.  Since I have a prepaid Surf & Stream that's actually a better deal since I'll get streaming on two devices, not that I need to stream on two devices at the same time being solo.   

$55.64 was the discount when I was on her in the Med (assume higher discount for Spanish VAT). Someone forgot to update the paperwork during drydock 🤫.

$15.99 for 1 device Surf is expensive! 

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, little britain said:

$55.64 was the discount when I was on her in the Med (assume higher discount for Spanish VAT). Someone forgot to update the paperwork during drydock 🤫.

That makes a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, little britain said:

$15.99 for 1 device Surf is expensive! 

It's less than on some other ships - I think this is the way it will be soon on many ships:

IMG_0240.JPG

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It's less than on some other ships - I think this is the way it will be soon on many ships:

IMG_0240.JPG

Feeling happy that I just bought at $9.99 on my planner. I was dithering whether to buy it because I miss out on my 2 free days.! 

Do you only get your D or D+ discount if you wait until the cruise to book it? or if i prebook via the planner can i get the difference back as a refund or OBC?  

1 hour ago, EDiamond22 said:

Do you only get your D or D+ discount if you wait until the cruise to book it? or if i prebook via the planner can i get the difference back as a refund or OBC?  

D+ discount is only good onboard.

Using my D+ Voom days on Oasis update:

I have a prepaid plan so there is no way to also use your D+ days or discount on your own.  I had inquired at the Voom kiosk and she suggested i come back on the days I want them.

On day 5 I stopped by the Voom kiosk.  The Voom gentleman apologized and said there is no way to use the C&A free days when you have a prepaid plan.  End of story.  Can't be done.

I waited until the Voom lady was on shift a few hours later.  No problem,  she made my 1 device plan into a 2 device Surf and Stream plan.   So I currently have a two device plan for the last two days of the cruise.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

End of story.  Can't be done.

Gotta love it when an RCI employee is so adamant when he is obviously wrong.

I’m on Oasis and pre-purchased surf and stream. I plan to visit the voom rep so I can give my free 24 hour period to my mom. Royal makes correction to one thing which causes something else to not function properly.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:31 AM, John Reid said:

Kids,

Anyone know the percentage discount for D+ on single Voom for the entire cruise? I'm measuring it against the current and actual sale for my upcoming cruise. 

Thanks in advance.

I'm seeing different prices, so wonder if each ship is different?  on the Liberty now and get $39.99 discount or two free 24 hour periods. $19 for one day on one device  -  So I used my discount for two 24 hour periods the first few days, my wife used hers on Thursday to get a package for the last 3 days of cruise free

Edited by KittenDad
spell check

39 minutes ago, KittenDad said:

I'm seeing different prices, so wonder if each ship is different?  on the Liberty now and get $39.99 discount or two free 24 hour periods. $19 for one day on one device  -  So I used my discount for two 24 hour periods the first few days, my wife used hers on Thursday to get a package for the last 3 days of cruise free

Yup, that’s how most of us recommend utilising the discount to the best effect.

My experience...

as mentioned by Twangster, if you purchased voom prior to boarding, there is no way to access your free Diamond or Diamond plus 24 hours on your device.

I went to the voom deck and the rep transferred my 24 hour perk to my mom’s cabin. My mom had a register and create an account using her cabin info. After creating an account (user name and password of her choice), she was then able to select 24 hour surf no cost.