1st Time on Edge & 1st Time in a Suite

taylortime05

Hi,

We've been on the Reflection twice and the Eclipse once.  Once we were in a balcony and twice in Aqua balconies.  I've loved each cruise.

We cruising Dec 15 on the Edge.  It's our first time on the Edge and 1st time in a suite.

I'd love to hear your tips or advice on what not to miss on the Edge and any other tips you'd like to share.  Also, I had the 4 night dining package booked but I'm thinking about reducing the # of nights since we'll be able to eat at Luminae and I've heard that it's very nice.  What do you think?

Thanks for all your great feedback in advance.

Sue

Sue...

I really enjoyed my Edge TA in an S1 corner aft suite on deck 11.  Everything was a long walk, but exercise is great on a cruise.  The suite lounge, pool and Luminae were forward, so I just got used to the walk.  Luminae was a wonderful place to eat, but a tad bit noisy, as the area is more open than on S class ships.  You did not mention the number of days onboard, but four, IMHO would be too many for a 7-10 day cruise.  We purchased the three night for our 14 day TA; that was just right.  Furthermore, it is great if you can walk the entire ship; that way you can get an idea of everything Edge has to offer.  Everyone's likes and dislikes are a little different, so you need to look at everything!  If you are a real foodie, enjoying as many restaurants as possible may be peerfect for you...Enjoy your cruise!

I was born in Michigan!

~Suzy

Edited by Lastdance

We haven't been on the Edge, suite or otherwise, but are considering both.

We'll be looking forward to your feedback and also any tips you receive prior to your cruise.  

What category suite did you book? 

OP

Lucky you!

Do not miss the  Mirage aerial show in the Club...go early for seats

Music on the Dec 15th cruise was excellent...nice shows too,

Take the curated Art tour and / or Inside Access  tour depending on your interests.

We were not in a suite but food on EDGE is really excellent...,.with some lapses in the buffet  A hidden secret is the Grand  ?   Cafe...excellent food and wine service..great spot for a nice lunch at a decent price!

ENJOY!

4 hours ago, mafig said:

We haven't been on the Edge, suite or otherwise, but are considering both.

We'll be looking forward to your feedback and also any tips you receive prior to your cruise.  

What category suite did you book? 

I was originally in an IV balcony.  My TA had great deal available for a Suite guarantee for 900.00 additional so I jumped on it.  I was assigned an S3 immediately.  I called my TA and moved to 9198.  I would of preferred and S1 or S2 with the bed facing the water but it was a great deal and a chance to experience the suite. 

4 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Sue...

I really enjoyed my Edge TA in an S1 corner aft suite on deck 11.  Everything was a long walk, but exercise is great on a cruise.  The suite lounge, pool and Luminae were forward, so I just got used to the walk.  Luminae was a wonderful place to eat, but a tad bit noisy, as the area is more open than on S class ships.  You did not mention the number of days onboard, but four, IMHO would be too many for a 7-10 day cruise.  We purchased the three night for our 14 day TA; that was just right.  Furthermore, it is great if you can walk the entire ship; that way you can get an idea of everything Edge has to offer.  Everyone's likes and dislikes are a little different, so you need to look at everything!  If you are a real foodie, enjoying as many restaurants as possible may be peerfect for you...Enjoy your cruise!

I was born in Michigan!

~Suzy

Thanks for the feedback.  We are on a 7 night cruise so I do think 4 nights for specialty dining is too much since we'll have Luminae.  I have to look if they offer 2 night dining package.  I also have to pick which specialty restaurants to choose.   

I've been in MI my whole life.  As I get older, I dislike our cold winters more and more.  I doubt that we will move from MI because I have grand babies on the way.  But we may need to be snow birds when we retire!

2 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

We are on a 7 night cruise so I do think 4 nights for specialty dining is too much since we'll have Luminae.  I have to look if they offer 2 night dining package.  I also have to pick which specialty restaurants to choose.   

Sue, we were on the 15 night spring TA with Suzy, though not in a suite. I agree that your specialty dining package may be too much on a 7 night cruise. DH and I very much enjoyed Le Grande Bistro for lunch one day. For our 3 night package, we dined in Eden, Finecut Steakhouse, and the Rooftop Grill. While we enjoyed aspects of all three, we preferred the first two. Of course, dining is very subjective, so others may have different opinions.

I can’t wait to hear how you like your suite! 

- Michelle 

We just came off Edge on Nov. 24.  We had a Celebrity suite.  Luminaie  was very nice and the food was excellent.  My only complaint is that is was a lot noisier than I remember on the other Celebrity ships.  It is much larger and that may be why it is not so quiet.  The suite lounge was very nice and the pool area and bar was very nice also. We ate at Fine cut which I would recommend highly.  We also ate dinner at the Roof top Grill but I thought it was nothing special.  We ate lunch in the Grand Bistro and enjoyed it so much we ate there twice.  Also we love the sushi restaurant on deck 5.  The ship is really beautiful and enjoy your suite and all it has to offer.

Pat

We enjoyed our edge cruise in a S2.  Suite perks are wonderful and the ship is unique.  We only dined in Luminae for breakfast and had an unlimited specialty restaurant dinners.  I do not recommend an S3 as the port side is IMO the best side of the ship.

The magic carpet and its rails obstruct the starboard S3's

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I do not recommend an S3 as the port side is IMO the best side of the ship.

Why do you consider the port side the best?

21 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi,

We've been on the Reflection twice and the Eclipse once.  Once we were in a balcony and twice in Aqua balconies.  I've loved each cruise.

We cruising Dec 15 on the Edge.  It's our first time on the Edge and 1st time in a suite.

I'd love to hear your tips or advice on what not to miss on the Edge and any other tips you'd like to share.  Also, I had the 4 night dining package booked but I'm thinking about reducing the # of nights since we'll be able to eat at Luminae and I've heard that it's very nice.  What do you think?

Sue

Sue,

Please check out this thread below by our dear and belated friend vtcruising.  It will give you all of the Edge Suite information that you will ever need!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

I was originally in an IV balcony.  My TA had great deal available for a Suite guarantee for 900.00 additional so I jumped on it.  I was assigned an S3 immediately.  I called my TA and moved to 9198.  I would of preferred and S1 or S2 with the bed facing the water but it was a great deal and a chance to experience the suite. 

IMO, the S3's have a slight advantage over the S1's and S2's, Port and Starboard, as the verandahs are slightly larger. The bed facing the water is nice, but I would prefer more space. 😊

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

.  I do not recommend an S3 as the port side is IMO the best side of the ship.

I was in an S3 on 9 and it had no obstruction other than a thin pole on the balcony which was hardly noticeable.  It was an excellent location, very quiet, and I would book it again without hesitation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mafig said:

Why do you consider the port side the best?

The magic carpet blocks your view if you are near it- also the railing that the magic carpet use is also an obstruction.  If the Magic carpet is in use, it is very noisy also- it is located on the starboard side; I believe that is why those sky suites nearby the the magic carpet are considered S3's which are the least expensive sky suites.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:48 PM, Cdresser said:

I'll be starting my first Edge journey on Sunday (Dec 8). We won our upgrade bid from a sky suite to an edge villa, I'm so excited! I'll be following this thread for tips and advice.

Congratulations on your Move Up to an Edge Villa. As a suggestion for your first night, try sleeping with the drapes open and you will wake up to the Million Dollar View.

Randy

00B7BECE-5D7F-4D50-9FEC-B285945E842D.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 2:48 PM, Cdresser said:

I'll be starting my first Edge journey on Sunday (Dec 8). We won our upgrade bid from a sky suite to an edge villa, I'm so excited! I'll be following this thread for tips and advice.

Just an FYI in case you will be in Edge Villa 15106. The stateroom is right next to an employee entrance door to the Retreat Lounge. That door opens outward into the hallway and can hit you if you happen to be entering or exiting your stateroom at the same time an employee is exiting the Retreat Lounge. We were hit twice and narrowly missed a third time.

We spoke with the Retreat Concierges and Retreat Manager about this issue and they were going to place a cautionary sign on the Retreat Lounge door. If you are not in 15106, then no worries.

Here’s a hint when your checked bags arrive in your stateroom. Rather than lug them up the stairs to the bedroom, take your bags to the elevator and go from floor 15 to floor 16. Take the exit doors to the Retreat deck outside. Your Edge Villa has a back door that gives you direct access to the Retreat outside. You will be able to see the various Edge Villa doors when you are outside. Locate your door, use your room key to open the door and bring your bags inside with you. The door opens to your 16th floor bedroom area.

If you prefer not to do this alternative or lug the bags up the stairs yourself, there is always 1 more option....have your butler take the bags upstairs for you!

When we were in the Edge Villa, Hillario was our butler and he was more than willing to transport our bags on embarkation day and at the end of the cruise. I was just too stubborn to have someone else do something that I can still do.

Enjoy your cruise

Randy

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, taylortime05 said:

Hi,

Sue

Sue

You will love the Luminae experience. When we were on Edge (Nov 15-24/19), Paola was the Luminae hostess. If you want to give yourself a little “edge” when you go into Luminae, pick up a few bags of little chocolate bars before you board the ship. We would give Paola a little chocolate each time we ate there. It’s the little things the staff remember.

We also had enough to give to other staff in Luminae. It was fun to be able to give them out and it was actually something they looked forward to.

Just a thought.

Randy

52 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Just an FYI in case you will be in Edge Villa 15106. The stateroom is right next to an employee entrance door to the Retreat Lounge. That door opens outward into the hallway and can hit you if you happen to be entering or exiting your stateroom at the same time an employee is exiting the Retreat Lounge. We were hit twice and narrowly missed a third time.

We spoke with the Retreat Concierges and Retreat Manager about this issue and they were going to place a cautionary sign on the Retreat Lounge door. If you are not in 15106, then no worries.

Here’s a hint when your checked bags arrive in your stateroom. Rather than lug them up the stairs to the bedroom, take your bags to the elevator and go from floor 15 to floor 16. Take the exit doors to the Retreat deck outside. Your Edge Villa has a back door that gives you direct access to the Retreat outside. You will be able to see the various Edge Villa doors when you are outside. Locate your door, use your room key to open the door and bring your bags inside with you. The door opens to your 16th floor bedroom area.

If you prefer not to do this alternative or lug the bags up the stairs yourself, there is always 1 more option....have your butler take the bags upstairs for you!

When we were in the Edge Villa, Hillario was our butler and he was more than willing to transport our bags on embarkation day and at the end of the cruise. I was just too stubborn to have someone else do something that I can still do.

Enjoy your cruise

Randy

Thank you for the tips. We are in 15103 which is right next to the lounge. I can't tell from the deck map whether there is a door to the lounge there or not. (I'm actually hoping there is because it would make it even more convenient to grab stuff and take it back to the room.)

28 minutes ago, Cdresser said:

Thank you for the tips. We are in 15103 which is right next to the lounge. I can't tell from the deck map whether there is a door to the lounge there or not. (I'm actually hoping there is because it would make it even more convenient to grab stuff and take it back to the room.)

29 minutes ago, Cdresser said:

I’m pretty sure there was just the one employee entrance door next to 15106. In all honesty, it was quite convenient whenever we wanted to enter or leave the Retreat Lounge. The continental breakfast area was right there as we entered that door, so it was kind of convenient to grab something and bring it to our room. 

We used the Retreat Lounge and the Retreat quite a bit. We found it difficult to find seating at the Martini Bar as Celebrity has combined the Grand Plaza and Martini Bar in the same area. Many times, trivia was held in the Grand Plaza and the overflow players sat in the chairs designated for the Martini Bar.

The atmosphere at the Retreat Bar on Deck 16 was much more enjoyable than trying to fight for a seat at the Martini Bar. The staff were always very friendly and accommodating. A nice place to spend some time.

Randy