Insurance with Chase credit card

snorkle lover

13 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Good point. If you want to be sure it's a US hospital then I would recommend you get the insurance elsewhere that does guaranty this.  Out of curiosity what do you pay for a policy like that?  Is it Medjet?  What it says about the Global Assist Program is highlighted below.  

A medical evacuation may be provided at no cost to the Card Member or covered family member from point of illness or injury (when the Card Member or covered family member is under the care of a local medical service provider or facility) to a more appropriate medical facility or to a hospital near the person’s home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician. The Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician, in consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, will determine whether such transport is medically necessary and advisable. The event must be within the first 90 days of the trip and cannot be a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is any sickness, illness, or injury that has manifested itself, become acute, or was being treated in the 60 day period immediately prior to the start of a trip. The person needing evacuation may need to complete a medical information release as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (a “HIPAA Release”), or provide authorization for next of kin to complete the release. Emergency transportation services in connection with the medical emergency may also be provided to a covered family member pursuant to the full Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance Terms and Conditions at the end of this document. Subject to additional important terms, conditions and exclusions. Please see full Terms and Conditions at the end of this document.

No problem, however the copy the main sentence. "OR"'and "they will determine.  I just don't want to take that chance . 

(when the Card Member or covered family member is under the care of a local medical service provider or facility) to a more appropriate medical facility or to a hospital near the person’s home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician. The Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician, in consultationwith the local medical service provider or facility, will determine whether such transport is medically necessary and advisable. The event must be within the first 90 days of the trip and cannot be a pre-existing condition

On 12/4/2019 at 11:09 AM, RachelG said:

I have both the Chase sapphire reserve and the Am Ex platinum.  I had considered cancelling the Am Ex but it has enough additional benefits for me to warrant the fee.  So I think we are pretty well covered as far as cancellation, trip interruption, and medical evacuation.  And my private health insurance covers medical care anywhere in the world.  My husband's medicare supplementary insurance does as well--I specifically checked this to be sure. Regular medicare would not, but the supplement will.

Rachel - we have supplementary insurance, as well. We have been told that they do not cover anything that Medicare does not cover. I guess I should check again. 
sheila

59 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Rachel - we have supplementary insurance, as well. We have been told that they do not cover anything that Medicare does not cover. I guess I should check again. 
sheila

Several current plans (we have Plan F) has international coverage for travel emergencies with a deductible ($250) and a co-pay (20%), with a lifetime maximum benefit of $50,000.  Plan F is being phased out, but previous members are grandfathered in.

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Many of the "supplemental" plans are highly restricted, especially any "advantage" plan or other type of "low premium" plan.

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Several current plans (we have Plan F) has international coverage for travel emergencies with a deductible ($250) and a co-pay (20%), with a lifetime maximum benefit of $50,000.  Plan F is being phased out, but previous members are grandfathered in.

Although plans must offer certain minimum standards, coverages are not absolutely uniform across companies and locales.  So please check YOUR specific policy and do not just accept the statements from folks online.  Caveat emptor.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Many of the "supplemental" plans are highly restricted, especially any "advantage" plan or other type of "low premium" plan.

Although plans must offer certain minimum standards, coverages are not absolutely uniform across companies and locales.  So please check YOUR specific policy and do not just accept the statements from folks online.  Caveat emptor.

Sorry flyer, but my info comes Medicare.gov.  I agree that just random info from posters is not to be trusted, and going to the source is the preferred option.  I would have hoped that the OP would understand that. In this case Google is your friend.  Similarly, one should not conflate Medicare Supplemental Plans with Medicare Advantage Plans...very different plans.  And in the case of Plans Supplemental, they are requied to be to be uniform  whereas Advantage Plans are not.  Yes, you are correct that folks should not accept statements of folks online.  Go to Medicare.gov.

6 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

The whole point of supplemental insurance is that it covers things that Medicare doesn’t.

19 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

That is true, plus Medicare doesn't cover you outside the United States.

Just called my supplementary insurance plan. We have had this coverage for 15 years. The old Plan I, which was considered the best at that time. We are grandfathered. 
I have been advised that it does not cover anything beyond 120 nautical miles from a US port. 
If my Medicare plan does not cover it, neither does my supplementary plan. 
I agree, everyone should check their own plan. 
sheila

On 12/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, RachelG said:

The whole point of supplemental insurance is that it covers things that Medicare doesn’t.

Supplemental (Medigap) covers what medicare covers and pays the deductable, coinsurance and anything left to be paid for Medicare covered items.  it does NOT cover things that Medicare doesn't except for the "Emergency" items outside the US up to the $50K lifetime depending on he plan you use.

Medicare Supplemental plans, Medigap are uniform between insurance companies and pay after Medicare except for the $50K lifetime for emergencies outside the US  in your first 60 days of travel assuming your Medigap includes this.

For instance if you go to a Doctor who will not take Medicare your Medigap won't cover you either.   Best to use the term Medigap or Advantage to describe your plans as Supplemental covers both in reality and to avoid confusion. 

4 hours ago, rallydave said:

Supplemental (Medigap) covers what medicare covers and pays the deductable, coinsurance and anything left to be paid for Medicare covered items.  it does NOT cover things that Medicare doesn't except for the "Emergency" items outside the US up to the $50K lifetime depending on he plan you use.

Medicare Supplemental plans, Medigap are uniform between insurance companies and pay after Medicare except for the $50K lifetime for emergencies outside the US  in your first 60 days of travel assuming your Medigap includes this.

For instance if you go to a Doctor who will not take Medicare your Medigap won't cover you either.   Best to use the term Medigap or Advantage to describe your plans as Supplemental covers both in reality and to avoid confusion. 

I just looked at the website for my husband’s supplemental ( no idea about the medigap vs advantage thing).  It says that worldwide there is a $90 copay for emergency services, which is waived if you are admitted to the hospital, and a $20 copay for urgently needed services world wide.

Edited by RachelG

4 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I just looked at the website for my husband’s supplemental ( no idea about the medigap vs advantage thing).  It says that worldwide there is a $90 copay for emergency services, which is waived if you are admitted to the hospital, and a $20 copay for urgently needed services world wide.

Is your hubby on a Medigap Plan or Advantage Plan and if Medigap, what is the plan code, A, B, C, etc.?

image.png.477961b2963eba258d69faf021745c90.png