Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Nashna

Room Service Tipping in the YC

When sailing on most ships, when we order room service, we typically tip each time for the delivery.  Sailing on the Divina in YC, if the delivery is made by our butler or their assistant, we intend to tip them towards the end of the cruise.  I assume we will have others delivering as well.  If we do, should we tip them at the time of delivery?

I would tip at each instance of delivery, regardless of who it is. it just makes it easier and they recieve the tip then and there. If it is your butler who delivers, you can always reduce the amount of your end tip if you have an issue with tipping when the delivery is made. 

The OP asks an excellent question, one that I had not thought of in preparation for my YC experience.  I'd like to learn others opinions.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The OP asks an excellent question, one that I had not thought of in preparation for my YC experience.  I'd like to learn others opinions.

Hello RK,

We always tip the butler and his assistant at the end of the cruise...over and above the DSC (provided that the service was good).  We had two different people delivering the coffee tray in the AM.  We would tip them per delivery...usually five Dollars.

I think we will follow CGTNormandie  example as it seems that this would be fair to everyone.  

For room service tip when delivered.  I can't say we've actually had our butlers actually deliver.

Probably get a different response from non American cruisers, as a European I would not tip for room delivery, drinks at bar etc as this is in lauded in fare and DSC. I would tip steward and selected waiters at end of cruise if service good.

Most Europeans won't tip any extra and that's the norm.

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Probably get a different response from non American cruisers, as a European I would not tip for room delivery, drinks at bar etc as this is in lauded in fare and DSC. I would tip steward and selected waiters at end of cruise if service good.

I know we are happy tippers because that's how we were taught.  We even tip our mailmen and trash collectors.  Tipping here  is getting a bit out of hand.  When I was growing up a 10 percent tip to the waiter was considered good.  Now 20 percent is expected for satisfactory service.  

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Sorry to disagree we do tip for room service delivery , when not in YC it may only be a couple of dollars for early morning coffee. We also tip additionally at the end of a cruise for good or great service.

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hello RK,

We always tip the butler and his assistant at the end of the cruise...over and above the DSC (provided that the service was good).  We had two different people delivering the coffee tray in the AM.  We would tip them per delivery...usually five Dollars.

Thank you for your advice.

5 hours ago, Nashna said:

I think we will follow CGTNormandie  example as it seems that this would be fair to everyone.  

Yes, that is what I will do as well.

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hello RK,

Agreeing with your expectation of service quality, I do the same.  The question then arises in my mind about why have I read many posts on this Message Board of YC guests offering substantial gratuities to their Butler and Assistant when other service personnel are involved, i.e. the person who delivers my room service breakfast,  which is no different if I were sailing on a HAL ship in a bottom passenger deck cabin.  Why would an additional substantial gratuity be deserved by my Butler and Assistant?  Some of the amounts of money that some people say they have given to their Butler seem to me to be excessive.  

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Agreeing with your expectation of service quality, I do the same.  The question then arises in my mind about why have I read many posts on this Message Board of YC guests offering substantial gratuities to their Butler and Assistant when other service personnel are involved, i.e. the person who delivers my room service breakfast,  which is no different if I were sailing on a HAL ship in a bottom passenger deck cabin.  Why would an additional substantial gratuity be deserved by my Butler and Assistant?  Some of the amounts of money that some people say they have given to their Butler seem to me to be excessive.  

I also feel that some of the amounts mentioned are excessive.  It seems that one person could not possibly provide that level of service to one stateroom without neglecting other assigned passengers under their care.  

11 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I also feel that some of the amounts mentioned are excessive.  It seems that one person could not possibly provide that level of service to one stateroom without neglecting other assigned passengers under their care.  

We have an old saying...”It all comes out in the wash”.  If one butler delivers for another and receives a gratuity what’s to say that your butler isn’t doing the same for another butler.  I very much enjoy the way MSC butlers cover for each other.  Their system works very well.

Tipping is a personal decision.  What might seem excessive to us could be quite normal to others.  I once talked to a Maitre D’ on the old SS France who told me about one passenger who routinely handed out $100 Dollar bills for any mundane service...and this was in the 1960’s when $100 really meant something!  I really don’t get concerned about how much others are tipping as long as I know my conscience feels right when dealing with personal service rendered by the crew.  

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We have an old saying...”It all comes out in the wash”.  If one butler delivers for another and receives a gratuity what’s to say that your butler isn’t doing the same for another butler.  I very much enjoy the way MSC butlers cover for each other.  Their system works very well.

Tipping is a personal decision.  What might seem excessive to us could be quite normal to others.  I once talked to a Maitre D’ on the old SS France who told me about one passenger who routinely handed out $100 Dollar bills for any mundane service...and this was in the 1960’s when $100 really meant something!  I really don’t get concerned about how much others are tipping as long as I know my conscience feels right when dealing with personal service rendered by the crew.  

Exactly the same feeling here --we have been cruising since 1991 on old QE2, take a lot of what is said by "Big tippers" with a pinch of salt

Tipping here doesn't get discussed as much as say on NCL.  Some who quote big amounts IMO are probably just making it up.  

Just off Seaside.  Ordered room service twice.  Both times it was delivered by my assistant butler, who was awesome.  Since I was already planning to give him a good extra tip, I did not tip for the room service delivery.

We do not tip for a butler or asst butler room service delivery in YC. We do what GCTNormandie does - tip ours at end of cruise; we also tip any dining, bar staff who have stood out.  I also agree with the poster who suggests these butler tips all “come out in the wash” ...

Hey GCTNormandie, I sailed on the SSFrance twice, one in 1964 and again in 1967. Awesome memories!

On 12/3/2019 at 6:35 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We have an old saying...”It all comes out in the wash”.  If one butler delivers for another and receives a gratuity what’s to say that your butler isn’t doing the same for another butler.

Your comment leads to another long debated question on CC:  are gratuities pooled by certain categories of crew members?

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Your comment leads to another long debated question on CC:  are gratuities pooled by certain categories of crew members?

No they are not...contrary to other stories in circulation.