Royal Caribbean land/air packages to Alaska. No way to get final cost up front?!

Gelfling

I called Royal Caribbean today and asked them about their land/sea packages to Alaska.  RC has a numbering system based on the package, 1A, 2a, 3A etc.  As I am reading through their literature I see that at several of the land stops there is are optional tours.  For instance, on tour 7A, day 10 reads "Unleash your inner adventure with a zip-lining excursion, float trip or flightseeing tour of Mt McKinley."  This is an exact quote from their guide.

According to customer service, there is no way for them to tell me how much those excursions are, or even if they will be available on my actual tour.  They told me its all dependent on the "tour operator" and they could not tell me who that operator was!

I find if hard to believe that people would book such a package without knowing what the package would ultimately cost!  I was further told that even AFTER I booked the cruise, I would still not be able to find out the cost until I was on the land part of the package and could talk to the tour operator!

Was I given accurate info?

3 hours ago, Gelfling said:

I called Royal Caribbean today and asked them about their land/sea packages to Alaska.  RC has a numbering system based on the package, 1A, 2a, 3A etc.  As I am reading through their literature I see that at several of the land stops there is are optional tours.  For instance, on tour 7A, day 10 reads "Unleash your inner adventure with a zip-lining excursion, float trip or flightseeing tour of Mt McKinley."  This is an exact quote from their guide.

According to customer service, there is no way for them to tell me how much those excursions are, or even if they will be available on my actual tour.  They told me its all dependent on the "tour operator" and they could not tell me who that operator was!

I find if hard to believe that people would book such a package without knowing what the package would ultimately cost!  I was further told that even AFTER I booked the cruise, I would still not be able to find out the cost until I was on the land part of the package and could talk to the tour operator!

Was I given accurate info?

I think it is pretty accurate because some of the vendors haven't posted 2020 rates yet.........plus really people that book these tours through the cruiselines is basically just for transportation to the different areas, not much is included as far as excursions and food for each day, basically it's just the lodges and hotels that are included.

Most people do the serches now finding vendors and excursions you want to do at each stop on their own. Not much in as far  as excursions is included............Maybe just maybe the 2 excursions that are included going into Denaili Park is included and a steamboat river cruise is included from what I remember. The rest is on your own.

Consider doing a DIY land tour, that is what we are doing in July 2020.............be less money too then one of those tours and will be able to do and see more and not be on a schedule. 

Most cruise lines have a basic cruise price that includes your cruise transportation and room and board on the ship plus some entertainment.  They will sell you excursions for each port so that you can do what interests you.  Only the very expensive cruise lines will include excursions as part of the package.  There are  also some tourist agencies that sell all inclusive tours while they still sail aboard the main line cruise providers. 

If you plan to cruise on RCI you should ask your questions on the RCI board as each cruise line is unique in how they service their customers.  You might also benefit from a Travel Agent to help you sort out your options.

Edited by oaktreerb

• 2 weeks later...

I searched the web when I booked my Alaska cruise tour through Royal Caribbean for 2020. I cam across their cruise tour website and they actually have a brochure with the excursions listed at each stop including prices.

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/resources/

Download the document Excursions during your land tour.