Just off the Edge

landbc

5 minutes ago, Yoshikitty said:

I believe that under the weather conditions that will make the bridge decide to lock the windows (wind/rain/wave spray), not many people would to use a traditional balcony.

Exactly!! And heaven forbid there was weather and the bridge DIDN'T close them and someone's stuff got wet and "ruined" either from rain or from some random high wave spray. Then they'd be complaining that the top should not have been allowed to be down in those conditions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisesport said:

Can anyone help me figure out which mid ship infinity cabins on the 8th deck would have the bed close to the balcony?

1. Go to the item at the top of this Celebrity cruise critic board which has a matrix of cabin information for Edge class chips. It is not complete, but could be helpful in finding your cabin.

2. Look at the deckplan of deck 8 carefully...need to look VERY carefully. You will see that IV cabins on the deckplan have what I would call a wider area and a narrower area on the map. If the wider area for a cabin is closer to the hallway, then the bed is near the bath., If the wider area is near the window/outside  of the cabin, then the bed is by the window/infinite veranda area. Some on this board say that the map has errors on it, but hopefully you can use it as a guide and verify as below:

3. To verify whatever you find in either 1 or 2 above, call Celebrity and ask.

55 minutes ago, cruisesport said:

Thank you for this. Yes I called Celeb and they didnt know. Said they would get back to me, not holding my breath.

Well if you find a cabin that has been reviewed on the matrix you are relying on an eyewitness. Since the cabins alternate bed location, you can then figure out nearby cabins...example would be: If 8272 has bed by window, then 8274 has bed by bath, then 8276 has bed by window and so forth.

6 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Exactly!! And heaven forbid there was weather and the bridge DIDN'T close them and someone's stuff got wet and "ruined" either from rain or from some random high wave spray. Then they'd be complaining that the top should not have been allowed to be down in those conditions. 

If the person didn't shut it, he got what he deserved. It should be up to the individual, just like at home.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Esprit said:

We loved our IV last December and it wasn't locked once. Too much scare mongering regarding them IMHO

I prefer a verandah where I can open and shut the door. And watching a storm off Venice a couple of years ago on the balcony of Equinox was amazing but may have resulted in windows being locked on Edge. 

As far as damage if windows aren’t locked during a storm, well yes, that could/would occur which is why I think it’s a design issue. And a reason why a traditional balcony where you can shut the door to the interior totally works and is my preference. 

Edited by Pushka

27 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If the person didn't shut it, he got what he deserved. It should be up to the individual, just like at home.

Except that at home only you are only affecting your home with wet carpeting and furnishings. On the ship that would potentially affect future guests - especially if the cabin had to be taken out of service to be repaired.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Esprit said:

We loved our IV last December and it wasn't locked once. Too much scare mongering regarding them IMHO

The IV's are also locked whenever they wash the windows, which X does on a regular basis. If you are not in your cabin at that time, you wouldn't have experienced them being locked.  I was also on the Edge last December, and the IV's were locked several times.

9 minutes ago, ecslady said:

The IV's are also locked whenever they wash the windows, which X does on a regular basis. If you are not in your cabin at that time, you wouldn't have experienced them being locked.  I was also on the Edge last December, and the IV's were locked several times.

If the weather is bad or they are washing you would not be using your balcony anyway. Also, having the traditional "balcony" space as part of the cabin when you wish it so adds so much to the room.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 4:13 PM, nucroozer said:

Thank you all for sharing. 

Will be on the Edge on the 15th (party of four adults and two kids) and was wondering about the disembarkation process.  We have a flight out of Fort Lauderdale at 10:00am and getting anxious if we will have enough time to make it to the airport.

We are the 15th cruise too!  Our flight is at 2:15 back to Detroit.  I wish we could fly back a little earlier because my daughter and son-in-law are visiting from Friday before we get back. But it's too expensive to change our flight time.  I think you should arrange to have your luggage delivered to the airport.  I don't think it's too expensive.  Last year when we got off the Reflection around same time the Delta check-in one for luggage was so long and took almost an hour.  I thought we would miss our flight but we were ok.  

18 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

I believe that under the weather conditions that will make the bridge decide to lock the windows (wind/rain/wave spray), not many people would to use a traditional balcony.

Agree, however why charge for a balcony when it is truly a window cabin with a window that opens in nice weather.

45 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Everyone fussing about IVs... NO ONE is making you reserve them! If you don't want one, don't reserve it!! There are other cabin options on the ship!

Of course you are correct. However, if you want a traditional verandah cabin (non suite) on Edge class ships your options involve cabins at extreme ends of a fairly large ship. Not convenient locations. We had doubts about an IV cabin, but gave it a try last month. We loved the extra space in the cabin with ability to open up and enjoy a verandah like experience when we wished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Everyone fussing about IVs... NO ONE is making you reserve them! If you don't want one, don't reserve it!! There are other cabin options on the ship!

This fussing (and worse) has been going on since the very first Edge cruise.  It is now a year later with a lot of actual experience and discussions, so anybody on these boards contemplating an Edge cruise should be more than informed about IV cabins at this point.  Everything else is just beating a dead horse IMO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This fussing (and worse) has been going on since the very first Edge cruise.  It is now a year later with a lot of actual experience and discussions, so anybody on these boards contemplating an Edge cruise should be more than informed about IV cabins at this point.  Everything else is just beating a dead horse IMO.

Glue time!

😁

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

we have been on Edge in November and among passengers, the IVs where the most talked topic.

we have been in the elevator with 2 uniformed officers when a man left the elevator and suddenly was shouting at them:

“ I hate these balconies“

and off he went.

you can‘t make these things up 😂

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse248 said:

Any insight on how to enjoy the IV with the window open and still have cabin AC? Shut the bi-fold doors? Only partially open window? Hack the system 😉 ?

Seems like a waste of energy, to me at least....

bon voyage

14 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Except that at home only you are only affecting your home with wet carpeting and furnishings. On the ship that would potentially affect future guests - especially if the cabin had to be taken out of service to be repaired.

The Infinite Veranda is not outfitted as a true outdoor space...the floor might warp...who knows? 

The window on our 7 day cruise was closed  only twice that we observed. Once when  the window washer  machine came by,  and the other was during a  windy rain episode.

We had no issues with AC... and kept the bi-folds open. We  did not open the  window very  much except for  photos or pulling into port.  We liked it better than a standard balc...no wind, rain or  sun to worry about .

When we had the Sunset Veranda on the  Nov 15th cruise,   we could not sit out much or enjoy the lounger by day,  due to hot sun and a small overhang ( deck 7) Too bad b/c our balcony was huge,  We did have great sunrise/ sunsets depending in ship position and amazing stars at night and very early a.m.

We have a SV booked on APEX ,  but would be fine with an IV if it did not have an obstructed view.

14 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yes, the potential consequence of rain, or other sources of water coming through an open window might be moldy carpet. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting that people are no longer able to express their preferences anymore and outline the reasons why without incurring others angst. And yes, of course there are other options but it seems like they are a little scarce on the ship or you stump up for a suite with the traditional balcony. Which is what we've ended up doing. 

We assume that CC embraces all cruisers but we are just a small fraction of the cruising population. I’d expect that many people dont understand the true meaning of IV on the celebrity website and maybe their TA doesnt even know and hence there will always be the discussion when the reality of them hits once onboard. 

But we are still very much looking forward to being on the Edge for the other new features and trying out the Magic Carpet. We’ve just been on three of the Solstice class ships that we very much enjoyed in the main. We also now prefer Celebrity to Viking which was our most recent cruise and which is probably unusual. 

On QM2, many balconies are inhull balconies, meaning that they are literally a cut out in the hull, but there is no glass so its always open. QM2 is many years  old and those balconies still get a lot of discussion so get used to it. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

We liked the look of the hull Balc on QM2..but booked  an interior room with a  big window overlooking the central atrium.  It was lovely esp for  autumn  going up to Canada  where we would not be out on a balc very much.. Had to remember to close the drapes at night!

X would do well to re-name the IVs to sunroom  or wintergarden stateroom or something like that..maybe folks would accept them better.    

Noticed that Sunset Verandas have jumped up.in price quite a bit...They.must be in demand, even with the very long walk to the elevators.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We liked the look of the hull Balc on QM2..but booked  an interior room with a  big window overlooking the central atrium.  It was lovely esp for  autumn  going up to Canada  where we would not be out on a balc very much.. Had to remember to close the drapes at night!

X would do well to re-name the IVs to sunroom  or wintergarden stateroom or something like that..maybe folks would accept them better.    

Noticed that Sunset Verandas have jumped up.in price quite a bit...They.must be in demand, even with the very long walk to the elevators.

Yes, that would make sense to change the name. The SV are the only class of balcony to sell out on our booked cruise and they’ve been booked out for months. Plenty and I mean plenty, of all types of IV’s available though.