Beach Excursions for St. Maarten?

Howie411

Currently on the Harmony of the Sea and we stop at St. Marteen in 2 days.  Would like to take my daughter to the beach, but the excursion price seem rediciclous to go to the beach.   For 3 of us I'm looking at either $197 or $209?    Seems a bit steep to hang out at the beach even if lunch is included.  Any better options?

You can walk to the beach in Phillipsburg or buy a round trip water taxi ride for under $10/pp.  Otherwise just pick a beach, walk out to the taxi stand, and take a cab there.  Lots of details on the St Martin board posted above.

32 minutes ago, Howie411 said:

Currently on the Harmony of the Sea and we stop at St. Marteen in 2 days.  Would like to take my daughter to the beach, but the excursion price seem rediciclous to go to the beach.   For 3 of us I'm looking at either $197 or $209?    Seems a bit steep to hang out at the beach even if lunch is included.  Any better options?

Which beach?

The water taxi to the main town (Philipsburg) is cheap, a few $ each way, and there's a beach there.  Alternately there's Maho Beach (airplanes landing overhead), and Orient Beach (lovely, with a naturalist section at the south end).  Taxi to either is $10/ea /eaway

8 minutes ago, scottbee said:

Which beach?

The water taxi to the main town (Philipsburg) is cheap, a few $ each way, and there's a beach there.  Alternately there's Maho Beach (airplanes landing overhead), and Orient Beach (lovely, with a naturalist section at the south end).  Taxi to either is $10/ea /eaway

The ones on the excursion list are El. Zafiro, Kim Sha or Maho.   There is 1 other one for $34 called great beach bay experience but doesnt list much info.

20 minutes ago, Howie411 said:

The ones on the excursion list are El. Zafiro, Kim Sha or Maho.   There is 1 other one for $34 called great beach bay experience but doesnt list much info.

Great Beach Bay is the beach right by the cruise port.  You can walk to it or you can take the water taxi from the port to the beach (I believe that round-trip is about $7.00 a person).  Once there there many venders/restaurants renting beach chairs/umbrella's - usually about $20.00 for two loungers and an umbrella, though it can vary depending on who you rent from.   You should come out cheaper if you just do it yourself and it's super close and easy.

Agree with the recommendations for Great Beach Bay. (Did not like Kim Sha at all.)  We walk it - takes about 15 minutes - and it is flat and easy although portions are along a fairly busy road but there's a sidewalk.  When you walk, you come in on the east side.  The water taxi drops on the west side.  We like the mid-east side for chairs and food (Blue ***** Bar is wonderful) and we did not have a drop off in the water.  Maybe that is only further to the west.  The town/shopping is one road back from the beach area if not everyone in your party wants to stay on the beach all day.  Enjoy!

Last fall we just walked over to the water taxi. Took it for $7 round trip to great bay. Rented 2 chairs and umbrella for$20. Swam for a few hours in the warm water and ferried back to the ship. The day cost us $34. Were back on the ship for late lunch and empty pool. Will do it again when back there.

• Like 1

Take the water taxi, buy booze for 10 bucks for absolute, Kenny the island man will

bring you ice and mixers for $5. water ski was great.  or rent a taxi to orient beach,

pedro's beach bar. 

about $15 bucks each way.

you can watch 5,000 horny fat tourists gawking at naked europeans, its

so awkward! it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world with lots of great

beach bars. great for snorkeling, sharks, mantas, right off shore near the floating

swim platform at orient beach resort.

have fun!

We did this tour in St Maarten last year and it was hands down the best day of our entire vacation

https://www.soualigadestinations.com/most-popular-tour-for-cruise-ship-visitors/

Costs $119 per adult, 99 per child. So not cheap, but it was an awesome day. Snorkeling, boating, beach time, iguanas, light lunch included. It was awesome. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.   We ended up grabbing a water taxi round trip pass. $7 a person and then we rented 2 chairs and a umbrella for $25.     Definitely cheaper then going with RC.  Only thing I wish I would have checked around for the chairs.  Some places like the lazy lizard were offering 2 chairs an umbrella and 6 beers and wifi for like $20.

1 hour ago, Howie411 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.   We ended up grabbing a water taxi round trip pass. $7 a person and then we rented 2 chairs and a umbrella for $25.     Definitely cheaper then going with RC.  Only thing I wish I would have checked around for the chairs.  Some places like the lazy lizard were offering 2 chairs an umbrella and 6 beers and wifi for like $20.

Yes. The chair vendor guys were fighting for our business. All we wanted was to sit on a beach and swim in warm water. We did not want an all day event but only a few hours. This worked great for us. Cheap trip off the ship.

Many wonderful suggestions her.  OP - if you want the ultimate beach day visit Pinel Island.  You must pre-arrange transportation ($25pp) to the French cul-de-sac.  Takes about 25 minutes to get there, traffic depending.  If you go first thing in the morning, you will very likely have the entire island to yourself with two restaurants to cook you a fresh Lobster of your choice to eat at your in water table.  It can get pricey but is totally relaxing and a great experience.  I've been to SXM many times and seen it all.  Pinel is where we go now to get away from the typical cruise excursions.  

• Like 1