ISO Rick Steves-type lodging, pre-cruise

kaymoz

We'll leave from Aruba for a cruise in a couple of months and need a place to stay for a couple of nights beforehand. 

There will be plenty of pampering on the ship, so we don't need to stay in a luxurious hotel or 'fancy resort' in Aruba.  We' would be happy with something comfortable and well-located but simple and easy on the budget.  You know, the kind of place Rick Steves always finds!   (Rick has published some guides to cruise ports but not for the Caribbean.)

Any suggestions of places you have found in Aruba?   

Look up the Golden Villas in Noord. Not beach property. But good accommodations and a rental car will help get you around.

For cheap cheap lodging the Coconut Inn would be a place to look into.  Absolutely nothing fancy about it. and about a 15 minute walk from Palm Beach. 

Edited by crewsweeper

We stay in the resort area, so I'm not familiar with anything further inland. Most hotels in the resort area are pricey. The ones across the street are significantly cheaper than oceanfront. Courtyard by Marriott is renovating a property called The Mill in Palm Beach. I think that it will be opening in the next few months.  Bricknell Bay has a hotel across the street in Palm  Beach.  There's a little hotel on Eagle Beach called MVC. It's pretty basic but in a great location. Divi has a lot of properties along Eagle Beach.  We've picked up extra nights at Divi Village several times. It is across the street and is very nice. Some people have gone on a certain site, who's name I can't mention,  and have put in a bid for a hotel in downtown Oranjestad that has convention facilities, and have gotten a stay at Renaissance for a good rate. What ship sells from Aruba?

Edited by Hatteras51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kaymoz said:

It's one of the Windstar ships, called Wind Surf.  It's their largest, I believe, with about 300 passengers.  Thanks for the suggestions!

I see that we are both from Va. Where do you live? The Windstar ships look awesome.

We were on Celebrity Summit last August to Bermuda.  We are leaving for our annual winter escape trip to Aruba for three weeks, in January. I'm looking at some cruises to the Panama Canal right now, but haven't decided yet. 

Edited by Hatteras51

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, kaymoz said:

We'll leave from Aruba for a cruise in a couple of months and need a place to stay for a couple of nights beforehand. 

There will be plenty of pampering on the ship, so we don't need to stay in a luxurious hotel or 'fancy resort' in Aruba.  We' would be happy with something comfortable and well-located but simple and easy on the budget.  You know, the kind of place Rick Steves always finds!   (Rick has published some guides to cruise ports but not for the Caribbean.)

Any suggestions of places you have found in Aruba?   

I have no input because our first time to Aruba will be in April, but just wanted to say we love RS and his travel guides! We have used them all over Europe (not cruising).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, kaymoz said:

Went ahead and booked this morning, just using feedback from TripAdvisor, at a little place sort of near the tourist area:  https://www.sasaki-apartments.com/

You'll be in a good location,  right next to Superfoods Grocery. You can walk to the beach from there, but be very careful.  There is a roundabout right where you are staying.  The crossing area is right where the cars come around the roundabout,  and several people have been hit by cars there.

Did you find a car rental? I've had good luck with Top Drive. We've also used Hertz, but I don't recommend them. I read a post where you said that Jays was booked. You are going during high season,  so lots of places are booked. If you can't find one with a return site at the port, you can always get a taxi from their return lot. Some of them might be willing to drop you off at the port. 

There's a wonderful restaurant right down the road, behind Superfoods, Quinta Del Carmen. It would be a great place for dinner.  Also, you are not far from Chalet Suisse,  one of our favorites. Another one that we can't miss is Barefoot,  which is close to the airport.  

We'll be there at the end of January for 3 weeks. We have a timeshare in Aruba. Can't wait!