Dress Code - Newbie Questions

sburrus4

Hi!  We're sailing Independence of the Seas in February 2020 and I'm trying to understand the dress code.  Everything I read is different.  So if I'm understanding this correctly:

• Around the ship during the day is casual
  • Main Dining is "smart casual", which sounds like a fancy way of saying "business casual" to professional dress.
  • Formal night is black tie, cocktail dresses
  • Windjammer is casual, but no flip flops (can you wear dress sandals and tennis shoes though?)

Do I have that all correct?

Also:

• Do kids have to follow the no shorts rule too?  Can toddlers wear tennis shoes with their pants, or do I really have to get them fancy shoes for this cruise?
  • What do you wear to the shows in the evening?
  • I feel like this suitcase is going to be over the weight limit for the plane, these are a lot of different outfits/shoes!

Thanks in advance!

Since we have two Indy cruises booked in Feb, we may share one.

But we are not planning on formal wear for this trip- no jacket for me, no long dress for my wife.  I'll still take some dress shoes, but that's it.  Most nights will be sandals- even with slacks.

If you want to wear a tux and cocktail dress, please, go for it!  You will both look amazing.  We will be picking and choosing which ships we take our best.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sburrus4 said:

Formal night is black tie, cocktail dresses

Black tie for men is very rare, IME. A suit and tie or just a blazer (with or without tie) is as formal as I have seen. Even on European cruises where attire tends to be more formal, about 50% of men in the MDR will probably wear a jacket, and only 30-40% a necktie. Women seem to dress up more, but also have more options. A cocktail or party dress is typical; there may be a few long dresses, a minority. Anyone who wants to wear black tie should feel free to do so. Ditto with a ball gown or any other special outfit.

45 minutes ago, sburrus4 said:

Hi!  We're sailing Independence of the Seas in February 2020 and I'm trying to understand the dress code.  Everything I read is different.  So if I'm understanding this correctly:

• Main Dining is "smart casual", which sounds like a fancy way of saying "business casual" to professional dress.
  • Windjammer is casual, but no flip flops (can you wear dress sandals and tennis shoes though?)

Also:

• Do kids have to follow the no shorts rule too?  Can toddlers wear tennis shoes with their pants, or do I really have to get them fancy shoes for this cruise?
  • I feel like this suitcase is going to be over the weight limit for the plane, these are a lot of different outfits/shoes!

Thanks in advance!

Dress codes aren’t nearly as strict as what you have outlined above.  Everything you read is “suggested”.  In all honesty what you will see, even in the Main Dining room on non-formal nights is anything from shorts to blue jeans to slacks.  On formal nights you will still see most anything, except “maybe” less shorts. 

On formal night my hubby wears khakis and a floral Tommy Bahama shirt and fits in just fine!  I usually take a pair of black slacks and put on a nice top and I fit in just fine!  If you want to dress up for pictures that’s great, but please don’t feel pressured to go formal because a lot of people no longer go all out.

In the Windjammer they do not want you to come in a bathing suit, but if you are covered up and have on shoes...any kind of shoes you will be fine. 

As far as shows...whatever you are wearing at the moment will be perfect!

So don’t overpack your luggage because it really is mostly casual all the time.  

• Like 1

I wear khakis/slacks with a nice collared short sleeve golf or Tommy Bahama shirt most nights in MDR and at least a dress shirt with blazer on formal nights. Used to wear suit and tie for formal but things have gotten more relaxed. I personally would feel under-dressed without a jacket, but that is not to say you wont see a full range of attire. It depends on your comfort level. I'd rather not be at the bottom of the best dressed list, but many don't care, which is fine.

The wife dresses in nice pants suits accessorized nicely and always looks beautiful and fits in well. 

Kids and teens tend to be more casual, but it is nice to see a bit more effort than a trip to McD's. I am glad to have pics of us with our 3 boys with us on cruises dressed in coat and tie on formal night and they survived the experience. But a collared golf shirt and slacks or decent jeans won't be out of the norm. Anything on a toddler is fine, but parents usually put them in something cute. Shorts for grown-ups may get frowned at for dinner, but not automatically turning all away like they used to.

Breakfast and lunch in MDR is much more casual, but no tank tops for men (often enforced) and no swim suits. Windjammer buffet is much more casual.   

For reference, most of my recent cruises have been Caribbean. 

Our last cruise was on Celebrity, DH went to formal night w/a long sleeve dress shirt, no tie, no problem.   I had more options and was always comfortable.  Also, I have a very fancy pair of flip-flops and wore them to the MDR more than once.

You will see people dressed in so many different ways. The name for formal night has even changed to dress your best. Yes, if you want to get dressed up for pictures or just want to, do it but it definitely is not necessary. Just returned from Harmony and I saw from shorts and tee shirts to suits and cocktail dresses. Please don’t stress over this and pack whatever you and your family are comfortable with. As far as children most had on shorts and a nice tee shirt with sneakers or sandals. Some of the young girls had on dresses. Funny but the ones I noticed that were most dressed up were the younger men and women and teenage girls.  As far as the shows go you can wear whatever you like. 
We mostly eat in the specialty restaurants because our kids are grown and even there you will find shorts on formal night or any other night. So like I said don’t over pack and enjoy the time with your family. Have a great time! 

Edited by mariefisher

That sounds great! Were there others in shorts and tee shirts. The reason I say this is sburrus4 is trying to pack for her family and after over 50 cruises I have learned that tuxes and gowns are not the norm anymore and usually the minority. Maybe there was a wedding or something like that but to suggest other wise is not fair to her. 

We often build in a land tour before or after a cruise, so we pack as light as possible.  On most evenings in the MDR, slacks and a polo shirt works for me.  On more dressy nights - whatever the cruise line chooses to call it - I wear a pair of black slacks, a black ribbed T-shirt, and a black sport coat.  Other than the sport coat, everything else gets worn multiple times throughout the trip, so the sport coat is the only "extra" for the cruise. The sport coat adds less than two pounds to my bag.  

As long as I am more dressed up that the guy who wears shorts, a wife-beater, and a backwards ballcap to dinner, I'm good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

There were quite a few men tonight on the Grandeur in tuxes.  Many in suits.  Lots of glittery and swirly ladies.  🙂 

Yes, Grandeur seems to tend to have a number of tuxes on every cruise we have done on her.  Enough, that I actually talked to my tailor about getting one.  But for once per cruise, it was more than I was willing to pay. 😄

I go with blazer, dress shirt, and tie.

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And the others?

My experience is everything you can image.

Last cruise, there were 3 guys in shorts, sandals, t-shirts, and baseball caps on formal night.

14 hours ago, sburrus4 said:
  • Around the ship during the day is casual - Yes
  • Main Dining is "smart casual", which sounds like a fancy way of saying "business casual" to professional dress. - Means long pants and shirt with collar, but really means no swim suits.
  • Formal night is black tie, cocktail dresses - Not necessary, but you will see people at this level.
  • Windjammer is casual, but no flip flops (can you wear dress sandals and tennis shoes though?) - Coverups need to be worn over swim suits, but flips flops are fine.  You do have to have some form of shoe.

• Do kids have to follow the no shorts rule too?  Can toddlers wear tennis shoes with their pants, or do I really have to get them fancy shoes for this cruise?  No, they don't, and any footwear is fine.
  • What do you wear to the shows in the evening? - Shows are either what you wore to dinner (too lazy to change) or casual.
  • I feel like this suitcase is going to be over the weight limit for the plane, these are a lot of different outfits/shoes! - No, not really.  For men, khakis, nice shirt, tie is plenty.  For you, one nice dress/pants, with some accessories.  Kids are fine.  Unless you want to dress them up.  Makes for a great family picture.

It will also depend on the cruise.  Shorter and Caribbean cruises tend to be more casual.  Longer and Med cruises tend to be more formal.  

We will be on Indy feb 13 sailing. We will be dressing formal for formal night as it should also fall on Valentine's Day. Other nights Hubby will be in a suit or a button down and khaki pants and i will be in dresses. During the day shorts and summer shirts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sburrus4 said:

Also:

Thanks in advance!

I wear flip flops in the Windjammer all the time.  Have worn shorts in there also.  For longer cruises, I normally wear sundresses or a nice dress dress.  Husband and I never get totally formal any more - no tux for him or formal for me.  I wear dressy flip flips to the MDR on casual nights and nice dressy sandals on formal night.

• Like 1

On the Freedom of the Seas out of San Juan, Puerto Rico (onboard now) we've been very surprised on how nicely dressed and formal passengers are during "Formal" nights.  We've seen as many as 37 beautiful young ladies celebrating their "Quinceañera"...wow! That meant all the rest of the family members were dressed to the 10's.

Note: For most nights in the Main Dining Room...it's wear what you want.  There has been a "White night", a "Red night", a "Caribbean night".......and mostly casual.  In the Windjammer...well,..."anything goes".

Ultimately, you and your family will not be turned away from the Main Dining Room.

I just bought a tuxedo yesterday. We have a lot to celebrate this year, and want to go all out on our March/April cruises. We have a black tie event and a wedding during the holidays, too. My professional life never involved events where we could be glamorous, and we have decided to enjoy our remaining years with a few special nights in style.

I will be looking at my wife, though, not other cruisers, so I don't care what they wear!

I don’t know where the no flip-flop rule came from but it is certainly not anything that is enforced. I was on a two-week cruise, with limited shoes and my evening dress sandals broke on the second evening.  That left me with a pair of sneakers, slippers   and flip-flops. I basically wore flip-flops every night, even with my cocktail dress. Nobody cared, not even me. 

m

Was on the Allure in September .

The greeter at the entrance to the dining room told me that they do not turn anyone away if they are not dressed formally On formal night .

I had shorts and a short sleeved shirt and he welcomed me in .

Wear whatever you want .