Cruise Upgrade

SC LTC

Has everyone one done or Taken advantage of a cruise upgrade I just got a email from cruise line stating To upgrade I have an inside cabin they’re giving me the option to Oceanview or balcony I’ve never did this before any input would help thanks

We have done upsells from Ocean  view to balconies

check the price online & compare with the offer 

ASK where the new cabin will be

some might be in the bow  which is not good for me  but others may not be bothered

11 minutes ago, Canuker said:

Well, you haven't given us much to go on.

What ship, please?
What deck?
Most importantly, are they requesting any payment for this offer?

It’s bidding for an upgrade I’m on the Norwegian joy inside cabin and the bid started off at $225.00 This is for a seven day cruise to the Mexican Riviera

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We have done upsells fro Ocean  view to balconies

check the price online & compare with the offer 

ASK where the new cabin will be

some might be in the bow  which is not good for me  but others may not be bothered

That’s the thing I don’t know where on the ship I would be?

11 minutes ago, SC LTC said:

It’s bidding for an upgrade I’m on the Norwegian joy inside cabin and the bid started off at $225.00 This is for a seven day cruise to the Mexican Riviera

They will award the upgrades to the highest bidder and virtually never at the suggested minimum.  You will be notified if you are awarded the upgrade by 48 hours prior to sailing and your internal boarding docs will be adjusted automatically.  There will not be any public notification of the accepted bid amounts. Your credit card will be charged with the award and is a final charge with no refunds.  The cruise line will assign the stateroom location within the bid categories.  If you are not awarded an upgrade nothing will change on your booking and in that same time frame you will be notified of that.

Up to you if it is worth it and that determination should be made by what you paid originally, what the last price was for the upgraded category (if known by prior checking) and the amount you are willing to bid.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

8 minutes ago, SC LTC said:

Ok  not the same  as getting an upsell  offer

would post on the NCL forum

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As this is specific to NCL, I would be asking on the NCL board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

They are the only ones that have the bidding process, I think.

Nope - RCCL and Celebrity also have the same process.  And my response is accurate regarding NCL (and the others).

They've basically replaced the old upsell with this.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

SC LTC: you haven't given us a sail date or a departure port, so we still don't know what cruise you have booked.
So I'm going to take a guess:

Since Norwegian is dangling paid upgrades in front of you, I'm going to assume that your cruise leaves soon....?
Which means you are out of L.A. sometime in December?
Apologies if I have this wrong.
This cruise is either a nice low price (before Christmas) or wildly overpriced over the holidays. This tells me that a low upgrade offer is far more likely to be accepted on the pre-holidays cruises - because the low price indicates they are having problems filling the ship.
3 of your 6 days away from LA are sea days and the other 3 are all Mexico ports. Frankly, there's not a lot to see from your upgraded window/balcony. Just some fresh air at best. If it were me, given the warm weather down there, I'd stick with the inside, spend the saved money on something I'd really enjoy and get my fresh air up on the open deck during all those sea days.
So, no I wouldn't pay for an upgrade.

What I might do is pick up the phone and ask them for a comp upgrade. They can only say no - or perhaps make you better offer than the one your looking at online. Remember every extra dollar they squeeze out of passengers bookings goes straight to their bottom line.

Keep in mind, if you do go ahead with this "upgrade" you are making the cruise line an offer. They do not have to accept your offer and they can choose to accept it any time they think is to their advantage - not yours. So they are in the drivers seat. All you can do is wait (or cancel your offer before its accepted, if that's permitted).

Edited by Canuker