Mega Ship Era over? Will Royal build smaller ships again?

22 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Back 20-30yrs ago one of main selling point on Cruise Ships was Public Square Feet per passenger. In 80's was like 20's, 90s in the 30's was great like Sovereign/Vision. Voyager came out now just over 20yrs ago as largest Cruise ship in World, carrying most passengers but was also 44 sq ft Public Space per passenger. This was topics on Cruise Critic when I joined 22yrs ago. Well that and Voyager had Chops and JR as pay Restaurants. Wish the CC Historic Posts went back to late 90's

The Oasis/Allure consistently feel less crowded than the Serenade & Anthem.  On average....most of the time.

YMMV

IMHO

On 12/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, Plum Happy said:

I was just reading a story from Gene Sloan who used to write for USA Today (now on the points guy website) in which he wrote that their CEO Harry Sommer says that Norwegian Encore is their last big ship at 169,116 ton ship for now.  They have 6 cruise ships on order that will measure around 140,000 tons.   Sommer cites Tampa, Florida and Sydney, Australia as two places where the height of brides limits the size of arrival vessels.  He also mentions Venice, Italy as one place where big ships aren't eager to see them.

Is 140,000 tons the baseline now to separate the Mega-ships from "regular" ship.  That would roughly be the Voyager-class.

I guess Royal will let the 10 ships that are smaller age out over the next decade and not replace them, making the Voyage the "small" ship of the fleet?  Will then even make anything else "as small" a Voyager?  For the Royal brand, not counting Celebrity and various subsidiaries. joint ventures, etc.

21 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The Oasis/Allure consistently feel less crowded than the Serenade & Anthem.  On average....most of the time.

YMMV

IMHO

Heard that about Anthem, Daughter just did June Cruise on her and Jan on Allure. Serenade's never felt too crowded, though most cruises on her been longer/Repo's with many us Solo and at most 10-20 kids(3/4 pass). Havent done a Summer Cruise in 32yrs, always took my kids in Oct or Feb when wasnt many Families. Only exception was over Labor Day for couple yrs, even got back from one with my 3 and 5yr olds, just 3 of us on Sept 11 2001... Right after 9/11 and Anthrax scare did couple Cruises inc on Explorer had 15% Cabins were empty. Ship, newest in fleet, was giving Cabins away, had no Single Supplement. Did a 5nite for only $9ea, plus taxes in Oct2001

Edited by ONECRUISER

23 hours ago, bowler15547 said:

Radiance class will fit. Key Bridge is higher than the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa by 5 or 6 feet, and those ships get in and out of Tampa with no issue (fog not included).

Unfortunately we are lucky if even one Radiance ship is in US waters. Besides Alaska seems be the Class sent everywhere else in the World. Love the Class, been on Brilliance and/or Serenade every yr Decade straight

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 12/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, legaljen1969 said:

I would even be happy with a large ship with a few more windows so you could see the ocean while sailing.  I like cruising, not floating in a mall.  LOL

Exactly this. Radiance class is my favorite, but hard to find opportunities to cruise on one. It's so nice when everything is "outward focused" and you see the ocean everywhere you go, even in the elevator. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, Saab4444 said:

But after checking some pictures I see that Allure and Oasis indeed have tender boats and Harmony and Symphony just life boats. The classic ships like Radiance class have the usual mix with 4 or 6 tenders and the rest life boats.

Many ports have their own tender boats, way bigger than the combo ones on some ships

6 hours ago, zotzer said:

Exactly this. Radiance class is my favorite, but hard to find opportunities to cruise on one. It's so nice when everything is "outward focused" and you see the ocean everywhere you go, even in the elevator. 

Only a few elevators

During the Captain's Corner on our Rhapsody November TA, we were told by the captain that Royal has plans to build a smaller class ship after Icon. It got a standing ovation!

In between Voyager and Radiance class.

Hope those plans materialize....

50 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

During the Captain's Corner on our Rhapsody November TA, we were told by the captain that Royal has plans to build a smaller class ship after Icon. It got a standing ovation!

Sounds great!  Let's also hope that the passenger count for these ships is similar to Radiance class.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

Hopefully the 1st one will be home ported in Baltimore (designed to fit under the Key Bridge).

Tampa can have the 2nd one.  😀

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:01 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Unfortunately we are lucky if even one Radiance ship is in US waters. Besides Alaska seems be the Class sent everywhere else in the World. Love the Class, been on Brilliance and/or Serenade every yr Decade straight

I would LOVE to hear all of the things you love about Brilliance. We are sailing on her in 2 weeks for Christmas. I just can't find that many reviews on her from recently- and most are when she is cruising in Europe.  I can't wait. I am definitely looking forward to the outward focus and the windows so  you feel "at sea."

On 12/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, Howie411 said:

Did a galley tour this morning and the guy giving the tour said RC just ordered two new Icon class ships that will hold over 8,000 guest.

Not for me thanks.

3 & 4 night itineraries - Coco Cay, Labadee, Coco Cay(4's) and back? 🤣

19 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Not for me thanks.

3 & 4 night itineraries - Coco Cay, Labadee, Coco Cay(4's) and back? 🤣

True. But just 23yrs ago when heard about Project Eagle(Voyager Class) that was shocking think a Royal ship(or any Cruise Ship) would have over 3000 passengers, and reg go on 3/4 niters. dozen yrs ago Oasis with Double that was unbelievable. Not my thing but many like the long weekend Cruises on Larger Ships... Prefer 10+ niters with more Sea Days then Port myself. On Radiance Class, or Vision, long as have my usual Aft/Corner Cabin I'm a Happy Camper ...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

RCI could buy one of these and slap an "xxxx of the Seas" logo on it:

Genting Hong Kong revealed plans for a new series of ships to be built at its MV Werften and operated by Genting for global hotel brands.

88,000gt and 2,000 passengers

The 88,000gt Universal-class ships will accommodate 2,000 passengers, with the first to be delivered by the end of 2022.

The news was announced Monday at the keel-laying for the second 208,000gt Global-class ship for Dream Cruises in Rostock.

‘We are here for the keel-laying of the second Global-class ship,’ Genting HK Chairman and CEO Tan Sri KT Lim said. ‘But, more importantly, we are starting the design and building of the next series of ships, the Universal-class ships, the first to be delivered by the end of 2022.’

The Universal-class ships are designed, built and operated with ‘complete freedom,’ making cruising more like a land vacation, Genting said.

For hotel brands wishing to enter the cruise industry

Genting will operate these ships for hotel brands that want to enter the cruise industry, but are unable to do so because almost all building slots are occupied for a decade out.

‘The major hospitality brands are uncompromising in protecting their brand image and the Universal-class ships are perfect as they carry the most trusted and respected “Made in Germany” label. They are designed with the highest safety and environmental standards, including LNG propulsion,’ said Peter Fetten, president and CEO of MV Werften.

• Like 1