Cruise Critic Community
teacherman

Azamara Pricing

We have done many cruises on several lines and enjoyed most of them.  We want to do an African cruise and booked one on the Azamara Journey, our first time on Azamara.  In doing the booking, they were having a "double upgrade sale".  So, we got a great deal-booking a verandah for the price of an inside.  I understand that cruise line "deals" are not always what they appear to be.  However, in looking at several Azamara cruises, the verandahs are many times the same price as an inside and the oceanview rooms are priced slightly higher.  I don't believe I have ever seen this on the larger cruise lines.  Can any of you Azamara regulars explain this pricing schedule?  Also, based on a per night cost, what do you feel is a good deal on Azamara?  Of course, this is very subjective.  Any information is welcome.

In a nutshell, every sailing is really over-priced to begin with.  If you can, wait to book within 120 days of sailing.  Most categories still available on all sailings and prices drop like a rock.  There is no advantage to booking early unless you are determined to have a specific cabin. 

Edited by Xcelsior

3 hours ago, teacherman said:

We have done many cruises on several lines and enjoyed most of them.  We want to do an African cruise and booked one on the Azamara Journey, our first time on Azamara.  In doing the booking, they were having a "double upgrade sale".  So, we got a great deal-booking a verandah for the price of an inside.  I understand that cruise line "deals" are not always what they appear to be.  However, in looking at several Azamara cruises, the verandahs are many times the same price as an inside and the oceanview rooms are priced slightly higher.  I don't believe I have ever seen this on the larger cruise lines.  Can any of you Azamara regulars explain this pricing schedule?  Also, based on a per night cost, what do you feel is a good deal on Azamara?  Of course, this is very subjective.  Any information is welcome.

You're seeing prices reflective of the Double Upgrade promotion--the verandas are priced the same as the interior cabins (although at least for the cruise we booked, Azamara raised prices when they started the promotion).

And frustrating (or maybe not) all you see onboard is flyers for this offer and then when someone enquires it’s an oh not for uk guests. They were first timers and were taken aback  until they realised the uk rules re advertising genuine sales 

The "same" Azamara cruise in Feb 2020 is currently priced about 25-30% less than the one I booked on the "special" double upgrade for Jan 2021.  The prices on the 2020 are what I said above:  inside and balcony are same price and lower than price of an oceanview.  I don't get the pricing of different rooms on the same cruise ship.  It is usually inside, oceanview,  and then balcony.  I think I will probably just cancel and then look at the various choices as we get closer to sail date.  I do not mind paying what I think is a "fair" price, but I definitely do not want to pay more than is necessary.

Well, I was interested in a 10 night Greek Islands cruise on Pursuit in August 2021. Not any more! Do Azamara think we are crazy? It was priced at £7093 solo price for an obstructed OV on deck 6! That is without any flights or transfers. 

Needless to say, I will be looking at other options! 

14 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

In a nutshell, every sailing is really over-priced to begin with.  If you can, wait to book within 120 days of sailing.  Most categories still available on all sailings and prices drop like a rock.  There is no advantage to booking early unless you are determined to have a specific cabin. 

waiting for 120 days out is not doable for many, especially going to Africa; air would be ridiculous that close to departure!  I also would disagree about availability, especially for desirable itineraries.  I do agree that pricing has gotten out of hand, and I really hope that those responsible will come to their senses before they completely outprice their loyal clients!!

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

waiting for 120 days out is not doable for many, especially going to Africa; air would be ridiculous that close to departure!  I also would disagree about availability, especially for desirable itineraries.  I do agree that pricing has gotten out of hand, and I really hope that those responsible will come to their senses before they completely outprice their loyal clients!!

Yes I agree completely.  That's why I said "if you can".  We can do that because our flights are booked on points way in advance so easy to cancel the flight reservations if space still not available.  Works well for us.

I just did a "dummy" air booking for the Feb 2020 cruise and it wasn't TOO bad-business class rt.  I guess I can wait until the 120 day mark and then look at both cruise price and air price.  I also found a rather interesting 20 day itinerary from Dubai to Cape Town on a larger line.  Maybe not as "special" as Azamara, but it did include a drinks package.  So many choices🤔🤔😁

25 minutes ago, teacherman said:

I just did a "dummy" air booking for the Feb 2020 cruise and it wasn't TOO bad-business class rt.  I guess I can wait until the 120 day mark and then look at both cruise price and air price.  I also found a rather interesting 20 day itinerary from Dubai to Cape Town on a larger line.  Maybe not as "special" as Azamara, but it did include a drinks package.  So many choices🤔🤔😁

I know exactly which one you're talking about, we looked at that one too.