Help with Carnival protection plan

bubbie74

Instead of sitting on our Liberty balcony..we are home. Our super early am flight was cancelled yesterday with no options to get another plane in time. Mechanical issues on Frontier. Yes I know go the day before. For personal family issues could not. Today been going nuts back and forth with Carnival and Anon. Each says that the other is responsible for refund and maybe nothing more than tax and port taxes. I ask what is this travel insurance for if not for help with reimbursement?

36 minutes ago, bubbie74 said:

No but what does that have to do with it. I bought travel protection. Been on over 50 cruises..always book my own flights. Protection does not state that you are not covered if you book your own flights.

every policy is different, some policy will cover air related issues and some will cover only cruise related issues.

Since you purchased Carnival travel insurance, carnival policy will only cover cruise related costs like your cruise fare. If you wanted your flight covered by carnival travel insurance then you need book air via carnival 

Edited by shof515

You had up until the time of departure to officially cancel the cruise under the Cancel For Any Reason stipulation.

You would have received a 75% credit to be used for a future cruise.

Did you do this?

Otherwise, you’re SOL.

Kind of important to read and understand what is and most importantly what is not covered.

Just now, bubbie74 said:

Yup I cancelled while we were at the airport about 11 am. It is what it is...just seems like this insurance is wishy washey at best.

this is the problem with carnival insurance, carnival offers a very basic limited policy. if you independently purchase yourself and have a policy with aig travel guard, nationwide or any other insurance, you will have better cover that will cover more things

Wonder if the mods would merge your 2 threads on this?

There is a whole separate board here on Cruise Critic regarding travel insurance.  I think most people would agree that it's best to purchase your insurance independently.

I used to purchase insurance for each cruise by doing comparisons on insuremytrip dot com as I was mostly interested in being sure I had medical evacuation coverage.  Now that I'm sailing multiple times a year, I buy an annual policy from Allianz.  I filed a claim for the first time ever last month because our Sunshine sailing was 8 hours late returning to Charleston.  Claim was approved and my expenses reimbursed in a week. 

There's loads of info out there.  Just because Carnival offers you something doesn't mean you should just accept what they offer and assume it will cover the issues about which you're most concerned.

Hopefully, you'll get some resolution.  Hard lesson to learn when you think you've covered your bases!

I grabbed the terms (at least for Iowa- yours may be different) for carnival.  

8. the airline, bus, train or cruise ship is delayed due to inclement weather which prevents you from reaching your port of embarkation and this delay causes you to miss more than 50% of your cruise vacation  

From this, it seems there is nothing for mechanical failures in Carnivals policy, so it may not be covered.  You may be able to use the cfar, but not for the interruption, it seems.

Do you have proof that the flight was cancelled.    For a mechanical reason?

For a mechanical reason- Frontier should have put you on a different flight- even if it was with another airline.

You cancelled.    You called Carnival and cancelled the cruise

Now you go through the Insurance company who will want proof that your flight was cancelled   and there was no other means to get you there--- (another airline) 

You needed  a policy for cancel for any reason next time

3 hours ago, serene56 said:

You needed  a policy for cancel for any reason next time

As the title of her post stated " Help with Carnival Protection Plan"

Now,,, I would assume that means she has the Carnival insurance which is called the protection plan.

The Carnival Protection Plan includes CFAR

However, I believe her problem is that she called Carnival in plenty of time to invoke the CFAR, but she expects Carnival to implement the CFAR which is the wrong process. She needed to call BOTH parties to cancel and invoke.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1