Protection insurance

bubbie74

Instead of sitting on our Liberty balcony..we are home. Our super early am flight was cancelled yesterday with no options to get another plane in time. Mechanical issues on Frontier. Yes I know go the day before. For personal family issues could not. Today been going nuts back and forth with Carnival and Anon. Each says that the other is responsible for refund and maybe nothing more than tax and port taxes. I ask what is this travel insurance for if not for help with reimbursement?

Wow.  I can't answer your qestion but I can imagine (almost) your disappointment.

I would be devastated and am so sorry this happened.

I hope you get the financial end resolved satisfactorily and have rewarding times at home to replace the fun you had planned for on a cruise.

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

You could have received the credit if you cancelled before the ship departed under the cancel for any reason.

Most cancel for any reason policies require the cancellation to be done 48 hours before departure. 

OP, hopefully this is a covered event under the policy and if it is then definitely the insurance company should pay out. (And it sounds like this may be the coverage offered through Carnival, which is another reason why 3rd party insurance policies might be better.)

Edited by sparks1093

58 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Only "if" you have "cancel for any reason" clause included

I believe that Carnival's protection plan does have that clause included. I just went into my booking to see if I could read the terms and conditions of the policy but I can't find it. There's a little blurb about it in my planner "100% of your cruise will be reimbursed for illness or severe weather. Receive 75% in future cruise credit for any other reason. Lost luggage and medical expenses are covered as well." but no link to the policy documents. That alone would keep me from buying it.

Edited by sparks1093

I am so sorry for you missing a vacation.  I hope you can find a way to re-book and take that vacation.  

This seems to be a duplicate topic, but here is what I found:

Vacation Protection “ANY REASON” Cruise Credits......Up to 75% of the non-refundable prepaid Cruise Vacation Cost Provided by Carnival Cruise Line In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Vacation Protection, Carnival Cruise Line will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Carnival Cruise Line, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered by Carnival Cruise Line as a special service to guests that purchase this ticket contract Cancellation Fee Waiver Program Addendum and is available only if purchased prior to final payment (for the cruise vacation). Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Carnival Cruise Line prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Carnival Cruise Line, please contact the Program Administrator at 1-800-331-2796 regarding cruise credits

It looks like for CFAR, you should get back 75% if you called and cancelled prior to sailing.  

Carnival Cruise Cancellation Fee Waiver (For Specified Reasons) .................................................Cash Refund Up to Total Cruise Vacation Cost This Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is an addendum to your cruise Ticket Contract. Through the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program, Carnival Cruise Line will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below**):

1. sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediate families which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

2. you are involuntarily terminated or laid off by your employer (of one continuous year or greater);

3. involvement in a traffic accident en route to departure that causes you to miss your cruise;

4. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as flood, earthquake, hurricane, volcano, tornado, wildfires or blizzard;

5. being called to serve jury duty or subpoena;

6. you are called into active military service to provide aid or relief in response to a national disaster;

7. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issues a Severe Weather Warning or Watch en route to, or at, the port of embarkation within 48 hours of your scheduled departure; or

8. the airline, bus, train or cruise ship is delayed due to inclement weather which prevents you from reaching your port of embarkation and this delay causes you to miss more than 50% of your cruise vacation.

Number 8 seems to be the only one that comes close, but still doesn't work because it was not weather related, it was mechanical.  

This is all pulled from Carnivals terms (at least for my state - Iowa).  It may differ in other states.

Edited by rukkian

11 minutes ago, rukkian said:

I am so sorry for you missing a vacation.  I hope you can find a way to re-book and take that vacation.  

This seems to be a duplicate topic, but here is what I found:

Vacation Protection “ANY REASON” Cruise Credits......Up to 75% of the non-refundable prepaid Cruise Vacation Cost Provided by Carnival Cruise Line In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Vacation Protection, Carnival Cruise Line will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Carnival Cruise Line, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered by Carnival Cruise Line as a special service to guests that purchase this ticket contract Cancellation Fee Waiver Program Addendum and is available only if purchased prior to final payment (for the cruise vacation). Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Carnival Cruise Line prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Carnival Cruise Line, please contact the Program Administrator at 1-800-331-2796 regarding cruise credits

It looks like for CFAR, you should get back 75% if you called and cancelled prior to sailing.  

Carnival Cruise Cancellation Fee Waiver (For Specified Reasons) .................................................Cash Refund Up to Total Cruise Vacation Cost This Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is an addendum to your cruise Ticket Contract. Through the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program, Carnival Cruise Line will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below**):

1. sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediate families which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

2. you are involuntarily terminated or laid off by your employer (of one continuous year or greater);

3. involvement in a traffic accident en route to departure that causes you to miss your cruise;

4. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as flood, earthquake, hurricane, volcano, tornado, wildfires or blizzard;

5. being called to serve jury duty or subpoena;

6. you are called into active military service to provide aid or relief in response to a national disaster;

7. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issues a Severe Weather Warning or Watch en route to, or at, the port of embarkation within 48 hours of your scheduled departure; or

8. the airline, bus, train or cruise ship is delayed due to inclement weather which prevents you from reaching your port of embarkation and this delay causes you to miss more than 50% of your cruise vacation.

Number 8 seems to be the only one that comes close, but still doesn't work because it was not weather related, it was mechanical.  

This is all pulled from Carnivals terms (at least for my state - Iowa).  It may differ in other states.

It looks like OP is entitled to a 75% credit.

• Like 1

Totally stinks OP. I’m sorry you missed your cruise. Since the issue with the airline was mechanical you as the consumer had more rights than if it were weather. They would’ve had to book you on another airline at their expense. Even out of another airport if that’s what it took. I know this doesn’t help now but maybe it’ll help someone else in this situation. You just have to go back to the ticket counter and insist.

35 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Totally stinks OP. I’m sorry you missed your cruise. Since the issue with the airline was mechanical you as the consumer had more rights than if it were weather. They would’ve had to book you on another airline at their expense. Even out of another airport if that’s what it took. I know this doesn’t help now but maybe it’ll help someone else in this situation. You just have to go back to the ticket counter and insist.

It shouldn't be this way when there are mechanical issues, but bad airlines hope for people who will not insist. Another problem with your booking (besides not being able to fly in the day before) is that Frontier is certainly one of those bad airlines - horrible reputation for this kind of thing.  

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

While many airlines will rebook you onto another carrier, they are certainly not required to do so unless specified in the contract of carriage. Internal policies and contract of carriage guide these decisions, their are no federal requirements to protect the consumer in the US in these situations.

There once was a time when airlines were required to transfer passengers to another carrier if the second one could get them to their destination sooner. That was guaranteed by the Federal Aviation Administration's Rule 240, which was undone by airline deregulation in 1978.

From the DOT wesbiste:

"Delayed and Cancelled Flights

Airlines don't guarantee their schedules, and you should realize this when planning your trip. There are many things that can-and often do-make it impossible for flights to arrive on time. Some of these problems, like bad weather, air traffic delays, and mechanical issues, are hard to predict and often beyond the airlines' control.

If your flight is delayed, try to find out how late it will be. But keep in mind that it is sometimes difficult for airlines to estimate the total duration of a delay during its early stages. In so- called "creeping delays," developments occur which were not anticipated when the carrier made its initial estimate of the length of the delay. Weather that had been forecast to improve can instead deteriorate, or a mechanical problem can turn out to be more complex than initially evaluated. If the problem is with local weather or air traffic control, all flights will probably be late and there's not much you or the airline can do to speed up your departure. If your flight is experiencing a lengthy delay, you might be better off trying to arrange another flight, as long as you don't have to pay a cancellation penalty or higher fare for changing your reservations. (It is sometimes easier to make such arrangements by phone than at a ticket counter.) If you find a flight on another airline, ask the first airline if it will endorse your ticket to the new carrier; this could save you a fare collection. Remember, however, that there is no rule requiring them to do this.

If your flight is canceled, most airlines will rebook you on their first flight to your destination on which space is available, at no additional charge. If this involves a significant delay, find out if another carrier has space and ask the first airline if they will endorse your ticket to the other carrier. Finding extra seats may be difficult, however, especially over holidays and other peak travel times.

Each airline has its own policies about what it will do for delayed passengers waiting at the airport; there are no federal requirements. If you are delayed, ask the airline staff if it will pay for meals or a phone call. Some airlines, often those charging very low fares, do not provide any amenities to stranded passengers. Others may not offer amenities if the delay is caused by bad weather or something else beyond the airline's control. Contrary to popular belief, for domestic itineraries airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. As discussed in the chapter on overbooking, compensation is required by law on domestic trips only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold. On international itineraries, passengers may be able to recover reimbursement under Article 19 of the Montreal Convention for expenses resulting from a delayed or canceled flight by filing a claim with the airline.  If the claim is denied, you may pursue the matter in court if you believe that the carrier did not take all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damages caused by the delay. "

bwc_close.png
Edited by Cousin Eddie

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Most cancel for any reason policies require the cancellation to be done 48 hours before departure. 

3rd party policies, Yes.

Cruiseline policies (Carnival, Royal, Princess, et al) have the cut off time of scheduled ship departure.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

3rd party policies, Yes.

Cruiseline policies (Carnival, Royal, Princess, et al) have the cut off time of scheduled ship departure.

We've never bought one from the cruise line so this is good to know.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

They would’ve had to book you on another airline at their expense. 

You may want to explore the world of low cost carriers.  They are not required to do anything like what you describe.