Help. Packing for my 2nd cruise ever and suitcase is filling up fast.

katmu

We were in Thailand soon after the King died, which definitely impacted how we dressed. Strict rules were most definitely in place (we also wore dark colors as much as possible, in deference to the country in mourning). I would agree with waterbug to plan for the most strict and in fact I do pack that way. You never know what might happen between when you pack and when you show up at a temple or church.

• Like 1

I pack things that mix and match and can do double duty. I bring basics and accent with scarves, wraps,  and jewelry;  the top I wear to dinner one night can be worn during the day another time, or the same black top I wore with a scarf  one night  early in the cruise can be worn with jewelry later in the  cruise and I doubt anyone will even notice its the same one (or if they do, they'll think you are a savvy packer). A pair of solid slacks or capris can be worn more than once. I find I spend ship days and some port days in a bathing suit and coverup or some pullon shorts and a basic top. I find I being lessand less the more I cruise.

As one who gets to schlep all the bags that my guests bring at my new "condo hotel", I am becoming more and more cognizant of two things: people pack WAAAAY too much stuff and I HATE 4-wheel spinner bags!!!!   Worst to date: 3 families arrive within 30 minutes of each other, each Mom, Dad and 2 or 3 kids.  EACH PERSON had a large 4-wheeler hard-shell, hard-shell carryons, daypacks and 1 family had 4 huge ski/snowboard bags.  I swear each of those 4-wheelers weighed over 70 lbs - I couldn't lift with one arm.   Had to bring in 1 4-wheeler at a time since they were so big and heavy and needed 2 hands to make it roll and keep it from rolling down the hill.  When trying to put those bags on the  bell cart, there was no "unwheeled" end to use to put on the cart, so they kept catching the edge or slipping across the cart.  Ugh.  I swear - the one family must have paid the equivalent of an extra plane ticket in fees for the overweight bags!!!    Ever try to push or pull a bell cart filled with at least 400lb of luggage???  Over carpeted hallways???  Over door thresholds???   

Please, pack only what you can handle!!!   

Off soapbox.

It seems that everyone usually takes more than they needed for a trip.  Packing for Europe vs the Caribbean is different, but shouldn't be intimidating.  I found that what I usually wore at home everyday was what I should take to Europe.  No "vacation" or "cruise" clothes.  I'm not a tank top/shoulderless top person, so my arms are always respectfully covered.  I'm not a shorts person unless at a beach or desert resort, never in a metropolitan area, so I'm in pants or a dress that hits my knees.  I abhor capris, so they never get bought by me.  I have not been uncomfortable or overly hot ever, even in the over 100 heat in Egypt.   You can take your basic wardrobe and style it up with accessories.  Use your basics as your "palette" and go from there.  Save some space for picking up great scarves/earrings in port - every time you wear them at home, you'll be reminded of your excellent cruise!!!

• Like 3

OMG, Slidergirl, that was quite a luggage haul! Workouts like that could replace a gym visit! I I often watch travelers try and navigate those extra large suitcases thru airports and wonder why they need so much stuff. Have yet to come up with an answer!

Good luck with your new job.

Sharon

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

As one who gets to schlep all the bags that my guests bring at my new "condo hotel", I am becoming more and more cognizant of two things: people pack WAAAAY too much stuff and I HATE 4-wheel spinner bags!!!!   Worst to date: 3 families arrive within 30 minutes of each other, each Mom, Dad and 2 or 3 kids.  EACH PERSON had a large 4-wheeler hard-shell, hard-shell carryons, daypacks and 1 family had 4 huge ski/snowboard bags.  I swear each of those 4-wheelers weighed over 70 lbs - I couldn't lift with one arm.   Had to bring in 1 4-wheeler at a time since they were so big and heavy and needed 2 hands to make it roll and keep it from rolling down the hill.  When trying to put those bags on the  bell cart, there was no "unwheeled" end to use to put on the cart, so they kept catching the edge or slipping across the cart.  Ugh.  I swear - the one family must have paid the equivalent of an extra plane ticket in fees for the overweight bags!!!    Ever try to push or pull a bell cart filled with at least 400lb of luggage???  Over carpeted hallways???  Over door thresholds???   

Off soapbox.

It seems that everyone usually takes more than they needed for a trip.  Packing for Europe vs the Caribbean is different, but shouldn't be intimidating.  I found that what I usually wore at home everyday was what I should take to Europe.  No "vacation" or "cruise" clothes.  I'm not a tank top/shoulderless top person, so my arms are always respectfully covered.  I'm not a shorts person unless at a beach or desert resort, never in a metropolitan area, so I'm in pants or a dress that hits my knees.  I abhor capris, so they never get bought by me.  I have not been uncomfortable or overly hot ever, even in the over 100 heat in Egypt.   You can take your basic wardrobe and style it up with accessories.  Use your basics as your "palette" and go from there.  Save some space for picking up great scarves/earrings in port - every time you wear them at home, you'll be reminded of your excellent cruise!!!

As someone with a bit of a mobility issue now, believe me I'm aware of how heavy my bags are.  On that last cruise where I packed what I thought was a lot for me my 1 bag on the way there totaled 35 lbs. and 36 lbs on the way back.  I can't imagine trying to manage a 70 lb bag plus a 2nd roller bag.  I'm hoping to go back to a carry-on size for the Mediterranean cruise plus an underseat size backpack.

4 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

OMG, Slidergirl, that was quite a luggage haul! Workouts like that could replace a gym visit! I I often watch travelers try and navigate those extra large suitcases thru airports and wonder why they need so much stuff. Have yet to come up with an answer!

Good luck with your new job.

Sharon

Between all the walking the hallways and go from the lobby to the lounge via the stairs and schlepping luggage, all at 8100 ft., it IS my daily workout!!!  It's fun, though. I haven't had this much "unstressed" at work in years and years.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, slidergirl said:

Off soapbox.

Which condo/hotel are you with in PC?

Kathy

21 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Which condo/hotel are you with in PC?

Kathy

Well, I won't say the specific one.  But, it's part of a large property management company.  We provide a "front desk/concierge" presence on behalf of the HOA.  

16 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Well, I won't say the specific one.  But, it's part of a large property management company.  We provide a "front desk/concierge" presence on behalf of the HOA.  

I understand - several years ago I did a season at Black Diamond at DV and I thought it was way too much craziness & stress for what I thought would be a “fun” gig.  

19 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

I understand - several years ago I did a season at Black Diamond at DV and I thought it was way too much craziness & stress for what I thought would be a “fun” gig.  

After working at the corporate giants The Waldorf, St. Regis, my new gig is SOOOO much more mellow, even though I'm responsible for more tasks.   I still can't wrap my head around the folks who pay $50,000 for the week...  When I see how much people are paying, I keep thinking I could have my mortgage paid off within a month...  

Black Diamond - a GREAT condo to have on a summer evening when the concerts are held there at Snow Park!!!

Before you do your cruise in the Med, be sure to stop by the Spin Cafe once in awhile to get some of their house-made gelato!!!  It stands up to just about anything you'll find in Italy.  Truth be told, I'd get a shake at Granny's then go to Spin for a scoop...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

After working at the corporate giants The Waldorf, St. Regis, my new gig is SOOOO much more mellow, even though I'm responsible for more tasks.   I still can't wrap my head around the folks who pay $50,000 for the week...  When I see how much people are paying, I keep thinking I could have my mortgage paid off within a month...  

Black Diamond - a GREAT condo to have on a summer evening when the concerts are held there at Snow Park!!!

Before you do your cruise in the Med, be sure to stop by the Spin Cafe once in awhile to get some of their house-made gelato!!!  It stands up to just about anything you'll find in Italy.  Truth be told, I'd get a shake at Granny's then go to Spin for a scoop...

Totally agree about Spin Cafe - one of the first places I found when we moved here in 2013.  Granny’s shakes are amazing and totally break a diet that’s for sure.  

It was insane to see what people were paying for a week in DV - insanity at it’s best and most had attitudes to support it.  

1 minute ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Totally agree about Spin Cafe - one of the first places I found when we moved here in 2013.  Granny’s shakes are amazing and totally break a diet that’s for sure.  

It was insane to see what people were paying for a week in DV - insanity at it’s best and most had attitudes to support it.  

Sorry to the rest for hijacking...   

For me, going down to Heber is like going down to Salt Lake City!!!  But, I do get there - cowboy boots at Reams, the gelato at Spin, oil change at Jiffy Lube, auto parts stuff at Auto Zone,  shakes at Granny's.  I'd love to hit a few of the new places for dinner, but that's a drive I don't like to make back at night.

Some may say "$50,000" isn't that much when some spend that much for their RTW cruises."  But, that's just for the accommodations - those people still have to pay for food, lift tickets, ski rentals, sleigh rides....   Just like at any hotel or condo complex - I've had some very nice, low-key people and I've had some very self-important, "entitled" people.  I try to just roll with the flow.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 1:50 PM, katmu said:

TA is booking the next cruise today.  I will have plenty of time to plan my packing this time since it's 5/1/2021 on the not yet completed Enchanted Princess.  It will be a 7 night from Athens to Barcelona, with stops in Kotor, Santorini, Naples and Messina with a few days pre and post cruise in both Athens and Barcelona.  Very excited!!

Hi!

DH and I will be sailing on the Enchanted in the fall, and my capsule wardrobe packing list is already taking shape in my head.

Enjoy your cruise!

I will say one thing that I've found to be very helpful when doing my capsule travel packing.  I've learned to lay out all the items...shoes, accessories...everything.  Then I take the time to try on each outfit.  You'd be surprised how an outfit that looks great in your head, and on the bed can miss the mark on your body.  Sometimes it needs just a little tweak.  Sometimes it doesn't make the cut.

Joanie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sssteele said:

You'd be surprised how an outfit that looks great in your head, and on the bed can miss the mark on your body. 

I've never taken anything on a trip that hasn't already been worn.

I took two tops on my (land) trip to Europe last October -- our bags were curated to be as light as FinnAir limits for carryon! -- one of the tops (long sleeve, and it was sold as a man's) would not slide over my hips, and the short-sleeve one was skin tight and rolled up at the waist all day so it wasn't worn but the once.

Yes, they had been worn. But they apparently shrank in the dresser drawer!

I tried the teeshirt on when packing for the (air-hop) trip we leave on tomorrow, and it still is NO GO. Fortunately I have obtained a new black teeshirt and will give the skinny one to my sister!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/15/2019 at 4:59 PM, crystalspin said:

On Princess, there is. Other lines -- should you switch in the future -- there may or may not be self-serve laundry. But of course, there is always ship's laundry!

Carnival also has self-serve laundry. I usually do laundry at least one - I just don't like to have lots of dirty laundry accumulating. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, Hoyaheel said:

Nope, thai temples (that we visited, at least) did not allow a scarf over a sleeveless top. Needed actual sleeves. And they made you rent appropriate clothing if you didn't have any -we saw the lines 😉

Sounds like a money-making scheme more than a religious dress regulation.

10 hours ago, simplelife said:

Sounds like a money-making scheme more than a religious dress regulation.

I don't believe that to be accurate. What is the other option? Not allow any inappropriately dressed tourists to enter the site -and imagine the uproar should that occur.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 4:31 AM, crystalspin said:

I took two tops on my (land) trip to Europe last October -- our bags were curated to be as light as FinnAir limits for carryon! -- one of the tops (long sleeve, and it was sold as a man's) would not slide over my hips, and the short-sleeve one was skin tight and rolled up at the waist all day so it wasn't worn but the once.

Yes, they had been worn. But they apparently shrank in the dresser drawer!

I tried the teeshirt on when packing for the (air-hop) trip we leave on tomorrow, and it still is NO GO. Fortunately I have obtained a new black teeshirt and will give the skinny one to my sister!

This is one good reason why I try on everything I plan to take just before packing. I have had similar issues in the past. I think women's bodies just randomly change shape from time to time, even if we weigh the same amount... :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I cruise I plan my wardrobe with expanding size being a factor.  First day, slim fitting dress or skirt.  Second day, slim fitting pants with cute top. Third day, slightly more forgiving dress.....Last day, muu-muu. 😋 That way I'm still happy in cute clothes and staying comfortable. I know I'm going to eat and drink on vacation and taking the stairs on the cruise ship can only do so much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is one good reason why I try on everything I plan to take just before packing. I have had similar issues in the past. I think women's bodies just randomly change shape from time to time, even if we weigh the same amount... :classic_biggrin:

So true!

On 1/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I believe that to be true, and my Aunt warned me about it when I was in my 30's.  She said about every 5 years, even if weight doesn't change, her body did in some way.  Not for the good.🤨

Joanie

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, katmu said:

My friend and I are flying out on Thursday to FLL for our Western Caribbean cruise on the Sky Princess that leaves on Saturday for 7 nights.  I get free checked bags on Delta but I was trying to keep it to 1 medium size roller (24”) and a small underwear bag.  We will have 2 formal nights and 5 nights that are “smart casual” which I took to mean not jeans and maybe more like a dress or nice top and pants.  That plus my day clothes and swimsuits and the bag is almost full.  It seems like a lot more than I’m used to packing for other international trips where I usually go carry-on only.

My recommendation is you switch it up a bit. Pack something to carry on both the flight and cruise with you containing at least your swimsuit, a couple of outfits for daytime wear, something suitable for formal night, and as much of your toiletries as possible. I say this as someone who's had a checked bag lost by the airline a couple of times though luckily not when I was going on a cruise.

Keep this bag with you when you get to the ship as well. I've also done a cruise where many bags weren't delivered until late the first night after folks were in bed. They left them in the hallway by each person's door. A friend's check bag was lost by the cruise ship until day three of the cruise. She initially thought maybe she'd somehow accidentally packed something not allowed but when she went to the naughty luggage collection they didn't have it. When she finally got it they said it had just happenstance accidentally got dropped behind some supplies that were loaded at the port and wasn't found until they started using product off that pallet.