1st time cruising in Japan-many questions! :)

travellovers2

14 hours ago, dougo in oz said:

I'm researching things to do at various ports in Japan  (May 2020 - 5th - 10th) ... our ports are Osaka, Shimizu, Yokohama, Hakodate and Kushiro).

There's some great information on this thread - thanks very much to all the contributors - it's very helpful.

I'm aware there is a special week - "Golden Week" during our ports of call.  Do you think this will have a huge impact on getting around / public transport ?

Thank you

I was in Japan for Golden Week years ago and it had a major impact on my visit.  Not so much in getting around Tokyo itself but we took a day trip to Hakone on public transportation (trains, cable cars, etc.) and I have never seen so many people before or since.  We wanted to get off the train to see an open air sculpture park but we were standing room only packed like sardines and when we got to the right station, there were hundreds of people standing on the platform wanting to board the train.  Needless to say, we didn't get off and the rest of our journey to Hakone was equally crowded.  If you are planning to go to Kyoto or Nara from Osaka, you will probably run into major crowds.  I don't know about Hakodate since it is smaller and off the beaten path.

7 minutes ago, kingsbridge said:

I was in Japan for Golden Week years ago and it had a major impact on my visit.  Not so much in getting around Tokyo itself but we took a day trip to Hakone on public transportation (trains, cable cars, etc.) and I have never seen so many people before or since.  We wanted to get off the train to see an open air sculpture park but we were standing room only packed like sardines and when we got to the right station, there were hundreds of people standing on the platform wanting to board the train.  Needless to say, we didn't get off and the rest of our journey to Hakone was equally crowded.  If you are planning to go to Kyoto or Nara from Osaka, you will probably run into major crowds.  I don't know about Hakodate since it is smaller and off the beaten path.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply ... I thought that may be the case ...
Cheers
Heather

It is important to know that Japan has cabotage laws quite similar to those in North America and Europe. If your ship does not have a Japanese flag on the stern, it is required to visit a foreign port on a Japan itinerary. That foreign port is frequently Busan - but can also be another South Korean port. On longer cruises it can be Russia, China, or Taiwan.

Japanese workers do not get to enjoy as many work holidays as those in many other countries. When they do get a holiday, they take maximum advantage of it. Golden Week packs several public holidays into a single week. During that week, the entire country goes on holiday. This creates quite a spectacle - and results in many travel challenges for everyone. It is especially difficult for foreigners, who often do not understand how the system works.

• 1 year later...
On 12/7/2019 at 7:23 AM, Miaminice said:

You might find additional information in our travelogues about our two Japan cruises.

We loved both and already have a third booked 🙂

Japan on Millennium 

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

Japan on HAL Westerdam

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

Hello, 

We will be on Celebrity's Best of Japan cruise next March and plan to spend 4 days afterwards in Tokyo.  I have booked the Hilton Shinjuko.  Is it easy to find your way around and is language a problem?  What would you recommend as the must see sights?  I plan to use Tours by Locals for a day tour in Tokyo and possibly another day to Kamakona.  I would appreciate your input and any advice you could give me.  I read your reviews and it sounded wonderful.  We were originally suppose to go in Sept of last year and now I am hoping they will be ready for tourists by March of 2022.

Thanks

Jane

7 hours ago, Mickey22 said:

Hello, 

We will be on Celebrity's Best of Japan cruise next March and plan to spend 4 days afterwards in Tokyo.  I have booked the Hilton Shinjuko.  Is it easy to find your way around and is language a problem?  What would you recommend as the must see sights?  I plan to use Tours by Locals for a day tour in Tokyo and possibly another day to Kamakona.  I would appreciate your input and any advice you could give me.  I read your reviews and it sounded wonderful.  We were originally suppose to go in Sept of last year and now I am hoping they will be ready for tourists by March of 2022.

Thanks

Jane

Hi,

getting aound can be done 🙂 Take a map and a train map. 
Japanese don´t really speak English but everyone will be extremely eager to help. 
We never had a problem and enjoyed the adventure.

Take the places out of our reviews as recommendations... I could add lots more. However, for a first visit those are the ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

Google Maps is really handy for getting around too in terms routing and what subway/rail lines to take.  

What I would find confusing as a first time traveller in Tokyo (and Japan) are all the different types of trasport (eg subway vs rail) and companies.  For simplicity, I find a tourist subway pass is a good way to go.  But sometimes a using the Yamanote circle rail line is more convenient for certain stops/routes.