Stop cramming in more cabins!

C Dog

We just finished a southern Caribbean cruise on Freedom, and as I say after each cruise, I think it was our best one yet.  The service was particularly wonderful, even better than when we were star class on Oasis last year.  Just fantastic!

But it's so disappointing to see this great ship is scheduled for yet another drydock in which dozens of cabins will be added leading to hundreds more passengers, with a corresponding loss of even more common space.   Loss of the ping pong deck space for more cabins.  Loss of fitness center space for more cabins.  Loss of the On Air club for more cabins.   Loss of the library for more cabins.  And so on.  This ship has already seen dozens of cabins added with the loss of a night club and additional fitness center space in its last drydock; now it's going through another! 

The same thing just happened with Oasis.  When will they stop?  So long as passengers don't mind increasingly crowded boats, I guess. 

I know this strategy isn't limited to Royal.  One of the few negative things about cruising is crowds, yet cruise lines seem determined to make this issue worse, not better.  I know they aren't a luxury line, but I wish cruise lines would keep passenger numbers to the level of the original ship design.   How does this even work with lifeboat capacity anyway? 

(Rant over).

• Like 1

Some of Royal's decisions may come from studying under utilized space on the ships.  I, for one, have never seen anyone in the libraries when I've walked past them.  I'm sure they do get used, but not as much as other areas of the ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Only when people stop booking cruises with them.

Wow, i was just going to say that.  Until the squeeze us to that point, it will keep happening.  I have said multiple times in the past that the cruise i was on was my last cruise for whatever reason, cost, poor service, over crowding, etc, but here i am again booked on another one next year.  RCL, i just cant quit you...

Edited by 20165
  • Haha 1

I don't see it.  Our balcony cabin is as big as it always has been.  Common areas same as always.  I am so super thankful that I am at a point in my life when I can cruise pretty much every month, that the small stuff goes right past me

• Like 1

RCL is not the only ones doing it.  Celebrity has added cabins to a lot of their ships.  A few years ago we stayed in one of the new cabins, thinking it would be nicer than the older ones.  I have never felt more cramped in my life.  If we didn't have a balcony I think I would have died from claustrophobia.  I do think the bottom line is of course, to cram more people onboard to make more money.  😞

1 hour ago, C Dog said:

How does this even work with lifeboat capacity anyway? 

(Rant over).

Bigger lifeboats...then lifeboats will need lifeboats.

Yes, still on the Freedom now and what a wonderful ship.  Regrettably, we can't see how it can possibly take on any more passengers.  The one consensus among passengers now is not having enough tables in the Windjammer for breakfast. (We eat in the MDR for breakfast...quiet and peaceful.)

There is no question that when you take a ship that was built with a certain number of berths and a certain amount of public space, and add berths and decrease public space, there will be proportionately less public space per person.  It doubles the effect.  

The first time I experienced this was back in 2005, when RC stretched the Enchantment of the Seas.  No additional dining space (MDR or WJ) was added; no additional theater space.  And yes, those venues felt more crowded.

It is happening on Voyager class ships now, it is happening on Freedom class ships.  You may or may not care about the changes, about the decrease in per passenger space, but it's a fact, not a myth.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It is happening on Voyager class ships now,

I thought it was pretty noticeable on Mariner and Navigator...and that was on short cruises.  If those ships revert back to longer itineraries it could be an issue.  Last time on Navigator the kids club was miniscule and they had kids age 3 in the same room with 9 and 10 year olds because the space has been halved for other cabins and amenities.  You also really felt the squeeze on the pool decks where space was reduced for eateries (Johnny Rockets completely dead at all times) at the cost of seating; yet more people onboard.  

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

There is no question that when you take a ship that was built with a certain number of berths and a certain amount of public space, and add berths and decrease public space, there will be proportionately less public space per person.  It doubles the effect.  

The first time I experienced this was back in 2005, when RC stretched the Enchantment of the Seas.  No additional dining space (MDR or WJ) was added; no additional theater space.  And yes, those venues felt more crowded.

It is happening on Voyager class ships now, it is happening on Freedom class ships.  You may or may not care about the changes, about the decrease in per passenger space, but it's a fact, not a myth.

I never felt Enchantment was crowded, honest. 

Obviously never sailed her pre stretch. I just loved the big pool deck.

4 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I thought it was pretty noticeable on Mariner and Navigator...and that was on short cruises.  If those ships revert back to longer itineraries it could be an issue.  Last time on Navigator the kids club was miniscule and they had kids age 3 in the same room with 9 and 10 year olds because the space has been halved for other cabins and amenities.  You also really felt the squeeze on the pool decks where space was reduced for eateries (Johnny Rockets completely dead at all times) at the cost of seating; yet more people onboard.  

No kids for us, and always a pool chair this week on Adventure. Suite lounge is nice as well.  #suiteliferocks

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Totally agree.  I specifically noticed the main theater on Enchantment felt more crowded.

59 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Totally agree.  I specifically noticed the main theater on Enchantment felt more crowded.

On the nights when there is only one show (often the first and last nights of a regular sailing)?  Wowzers!

57 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

On the nights when there is only one show (often the first and last nights of a regular sailing)?  Wowzers!

If we want to see it, we just go early. Problem solved. 

Now the problem with crowding is when they schedule shows in the Centrums. Thats just stupid 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

No kids for us, and always a pool chair this week on Adventure. Suite lounge is nice as well.  #suiteliferocks

We know.  

Your wife lives on a cruise ship. 

You go like every other week. 

We know. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I don't think any cabins were added to Quantum during her dry dock which just ended.

The newer ships like all Quantum Class and Harmony/Symphony were already built with a lower space-to-passenger ratio so Royal`s goal seem to be to bring older ships on the same level. They learnt from competitors in the mass market like e.g. MSC and Costa who have always built their ships with a lower ratio.     

I hope they will face some architecfacetural restrictions for adding more decks with (again) more cabins when they "amp" the beautiful Radiance class but you never know... 

• Like 1