New Straw Offerings From John Heald

samrothstein

Here's the question:

Are they really concerned about the enviorment, or is this a revenue move?

It just seems like they found another way to make some money. I can see some people saying "it's just trieing to please people", but not sure i buy that one

• Like 9

Revenue move or not, plastic straws will be gone fleet wide in the next few days according to Mr. Heald. I does seem like they’ve capitalized on the idea by selling their own branded straws though. From what I can tell, they don’t seem to be too out of line with retail prices of similar sets, and I couldn’t expect any

business to provide such items at no cost. 

Some will complain and suffer a minor inconvenience, but they’ll manage to adapt to these harsh new conditions (or bring their own straws) and life will go on. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, samrothstein said:

Revenue move or not, plastic straws will be gone fleet wide in the next few days according to Mr. Heald. I does seem like they’ve capitalized on the idea by selling their own branded straws though. From what I can tell, they don’t seem to be too out of line with retail prices of similar sets, and I couldn’t expect any

business to provide such items at no cost. 

Some will complain and suffer a minor inconvenience, but they’ll manage to adapt to these harsh new conditions (or bring their own straws) and life will go on. 

I agree, the price dont seem too bad. I find ironic that now CCL not only dont have to buy plastic straws, but now they sell them. Genius marketing.😀

• Like 1

I volunteer to do beach sweeps on Lake Michigan during the summer.  Doing that convinced me to pass on the plastic straws when I could.  On my last couple of cruises, I just asked for no straw and did fine.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Here's the question:

It just seems like they found another way to make some money. I can see some people saying "it's just trieing to please people", but not sure i buy that one

John did say that the paper straws will still be on the ship

I really don't feel like carrying a straw around with me on a cruise.  I will just use whatever they offer.  I like some type of straw with frozen drinks.  It sounds like the only real change I will need to do is to drink my frozen drink faster.  I usually like to take my time, but I don't know if the straw will last.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Here's the question:

If you do not like what Carnival is doing with straws, you have a very simple solution. BRING YOUR OWN. On Amazon, 4 metal straws with a cleaning brush costs $9.95.  Really a big revenue maker.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

7 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I really don't feel like carrying a straw around with me on a cruise.  I will just use whatever they offer.  I like some type of straw with frozen drinks.  It sounds like the only real change I will need to do is to drink my frozen drink faster.  I usually like to take my time, but I don't know if the straw will last.

My thoughts exactly!  Carry a straw around with me? No way. And certainly not carry one around that I have to go back to my cabin and clean.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

If you do not like what Carnival is doing with straws, you have a very simple solution. BRING YOUR OWN. On Amazon, 4 metal straws with a cleaning brush costs $9.95.  Really a big revenue maker.

Never did i say, "i dont like it". Being they don't have to spend the money on plastic straws anymore, It's pretty much all revenue now. It's all good, i really dont use straws anyway. Beer dont really taste too good through a straw. 😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, teacher32 said:

My thoughts exactly!  Carry a straw around with me? No way. And certainly not carry one around that I have to go back to my cabin and clean.  

Don’t you go back to your cabin daily?

6 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Never did i say, "i dont like it". Being they don't have to spend the money on plastic straws anymore, It's pretty much all revenue now. It's all good, i really dont use straws anyway. Beer dont really taste too good through a straw. 😎

Maybe a really wide straw?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not carrying straws around.  I'll use what they have or go strawless.  I think these will do well among people who try the paper/sugar straws, hate them, and decide they need something.  Anyone who knows they hate them will bring their own or do without 

• Like 1

I’m glad to have this option at a reasonable/comparable price. I have a pack of plastic straws in my suitcase now but will buy the reusable ones if available on my cruise Saturday. I kept intending to buy a stainless steel straw (or look for one I might already have) but got distracted by swimsuit and sandal purchases 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teacher32 said:

I plan to bring my own plastic straws for my frozen drinks.  I can fit a few in the lanyard/purse I have around my neck.  I'm not about to keep going back & forth to my cabin for a straw or to clean a straw.

When I'm on the ship I don't carry a bag of any sort with me, so carrying my own straw would be very inconvenient and I would have to return to the room to clean it and leave it there - oh no wait! I want another drink - back to the room I go.

I understand the environmental impact of straws but there has to be a happy medium - get rid of the stupid stirrer straws and only offer straws where appropriate - you do not need a straw for a soda or tea, even most drinks BUT you for sure need a straw with a frozen drink! I personally don't like sticking my nose in my frozen drink or having it all slide onto my face while trying to get some!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1