Cruise Critic Community
samrothstein

New Straw Offerings From John Heald

Here's the question:

Are they really concerned about the enviorment, or is this a revenue move?

It just seems like they found another way to make some money. I can see some people saying "it's just trieing to please people", but not sure i buy that one

Revenue move or not, plastic straws will be gone fleet wide in the next few days according to Mr. Heald. I does seem like they’ve capitalized on the idea by selling their own branded straws though. From what I can tell, they don’t seem to be too out of line with retail prices of similar sets, and I couldn’t expect any

business to provide such items at no cost. 

Some will complain and suffer a minor inconvenience, but they’ll manage to adapt to these harsh new conditions (or bring their own straws) and life will go on. 

8 minutes ago, samrothstein said:

Revenue move or not, plastic straws will be gone fleet wide in the next few days according to Mr. Heald. I does seem like they’ve capitalized on the idea by selling their own branded straws though. From what I can tell, they don’t seem to be too out of line with retail prices of similar sets, and I couldn’t expect any

business to provide such items at no cost. 

Some will complain and suffer a minor inconvenience, but they’ll manage to adapt to these harsh new conditions (or bring their own straws) and life will go on. 

I agree, the price dont seem too bad. I find ironic that now CCL not only dont have to buy plastic straws, but now they sell them. Genius marketing.😀

I volunteer to do beach sweeps on Lake Michigan during the summer.  Doing that convinced me to pass on the plastic straws when I could.  On my last couple of cruises, I just asked for no straw and did fine.  

Please keep on topic about John Heald's announcement. We  had the sugar straw, plastic straw, paper straw debate\ discussion on another long long thread.

Thank you for your cooperation!

3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Here's the question:

It just seems like they found another way to make some money. I can see some people saying "it's just trieing to please people", but not sure i buy that one

John did say that the paper straws will still be on the ship

So they cutback the plastic straws and left people with the option of 1) buying a straw 2) using a paper straw 3) using a sugar straw or 4) using no straw. As Jimbo says, it's great to have options!

Edited by lottiegreen56

I hope you meant stainless. I will bring my own plastic since the eco ones come in plastic

Edited by Rv6flyer

1 minute ago, Rv6flyer said:

I hope you meant stainless

i meant sugar, changed it! Thank you for pointing out my typo though, my post made no sense as written!

I really don't feel like carrying a straw around with me on a cruise.  I will just use whatever they offer.  I like some type of straw with frozen drinks.  It sounds like the only real change I will need to do is to drink my frozen drink faster.  I usually like to take my time, but I don't know if the straw will last.

14 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Here's the question:

If you do not like what Carnival is doing with straws, you have a very simple solution. BRING YOUR OWN. On Amazon, 4 metal straws with a cleaning brush costs $9.95.  Really a big revenue maker.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

7 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I really don't feel like carrying a straw around with me on a cruise.  I will just use whatever they offer.  I like some type of straw with frozen drinks.  It sounds like the only real change I will need to do is to drink my frozen drink faster.  I usually like to take my time, but I don't know if the straw will last.

My thoughts exactly!  Carry a straw around with me? No way. And certainly not carry one around that I have to go back to my cabin and clean.  

16 minutes ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

If you do not like what Carnival is doing with straws, you have a very simple solution. BRING YOUR OWN. On Amazon, 4 metal straws with a cleaning brush costs $9.95.  Really a big revenue maker.

Never did i say, "i dont like it". Being they don't have to spend the money on plastic straws anymore, It's pretty much all revenue now. It's all good, i really dont use straws anyway. Beer dont really taste too good through a straw. 😎

9 minutes ago, teacher32 said:

My thoughts exactly!  Carry a straw around with me? No way. And certainly not carry one around that I have to go back to my cabin and clean.  

Don’t you go back to your cabin daily?

6 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Never did i say, "i dont like it". Being they don't have to spend the money on plastic straws anymore, It's pretty much all revenue now. It's all good, i really dont use straws anyway. Beer dont really taste too good through a straw. 😎

Maybe a really wide straw?

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think I might see the next loyalty gift somewhere on this thread....hmmmm

That'd be fine.  Would use them at home!

I'm not carrying straws around.  I'll use what they have or go strawless.  I think these will do well among people who try the paper/sugar straws, hate them, and decide they need something.  Anyone who knows they hate them will bring their own or do without 

3 minutes ago, declansdad said:

It's hilarious watching all the people getting triggered by a freaking straw.

There is logic, first they go off the deep end on a change of soda brand, now this 😵

I’m glad to have this option at a reasonable/comparable price. I have a pack of plastic straws in my suitcase now but will buy the reusable ones if available on my cruise Saturday. I kept intending to buy a stainless steel straw (or look for one I might already have) but got distracted by swimsuit and sandal purchases 🙂

4 hours ago, teacher32 said:

I plan to bring my own plastic straws for my frozen drinks.  I can fit a few in the lanyard/purse I have around my neck.  I'm not about to keep going back & forth to my cabin for a straw or to clean a straw.

19 hours ago, samrothstein said:

I think it’s great!

E5E82CE6-8DA3-42EE-B83F-08CABB76A8AF.jpeg

I will be bringing my own straws. We currently use plastic and I bought the kids metal with silicone tips for Xmas. We will see which ones we prefer. 

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think I might see the next loyalty gift somewhere on this thread....hmmmm

If it were a future loyalty gift I would enjoy using them at home but not on cruise.