New Straw Offerings From John Heald

samrothstein

41 minutes ago, Sparky2 said:

I plan to bring my own plastic straws for my frozen drinks.  I can fit a few in the lanyard/purse I have around my neck.  I'm not about to keep going back & forth to my cabin for a straw or to clean a straw.

I hear ya!🙂

Just returned from my Carnival vacation and it was noticed even on the islands the plastic straws are going away.  Paper strays at Nachi Cocum and Little French Key.  Also I have noticed here Texas around Dallas lots of places we eat at are doing away with not only the straws but the plastic grocery bags.  I believe the issue is much bigger then straws on Carnival.  People on the ship we tucking their straws behind their ear like people used to do with pens and pencils, when they were able to find a bar that had some left over plastic straws.  Times they are a changing and it appears plastic is on its way out.

Edited by vettecruiser1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky2 said:

I plan to bring my own plastic straws for my frozen drinks.  I can fit a few in the lanyard/purse I have around my neck.  I'm not about to keep going back & forth to my cabin for a straw or to clean a straw.

After you are done using your plastic straw brought from home, will you be putting it back in your neck-purse to carry off for disposal at the home from which you brought it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

After you are done using your plastic straw brought from home, will you be putting it back in your neck-purse to carry off for disposal at the home from which you brought it?

The visual on this is hilarious! :classic_laugh:

They could have easily switched to plant based biodegradable straws instead. They also make plates, cups, bowels etc out of this materiel as well. This would have been a better option than the virtue signaling. Who wants to carry around a reusable straw that they have to clean? It's ridiculous. Paper and sugar straws are as well.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 3

Back in middle school I remember Twizzlers (or something similar) being hollow and using as a straw.  I suspect this would still work for many drinks, don't remember it dissolving or affecting flavor.  Then again it was over 30 years ago and I wasn't using it with alcohol.

2 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

pretty sure there are recycle receptacles at the port or airport, no reason to bring it home.

• Like 2

I have bought from Amazon these cool rubber straws.  When you are done using one just run it under hot water and let dry.  You get like 5-6 of them in different colors.  I’ve been using them for over a year and they still look great.  Just go to Amazon and search rubber straws.  They are inexpensive too.

• Like 2

Just off our first ‘no straw’ cruise. I did miss the straws because I have sensitive teeth and don’t like ice cubes touching them as I drink.  I did drink MUCH  more slowly by sipping versus pulling through a straw though! 😂  So... I saved myself money  this cruise!  Didn’t order any frozen drinks because I didn’t want a sugar straw, so I cannot speak to that.  I agree with others that have said NO to carrying a straw around to wash in my cabins bathroom sink! 

• Like 1

Wow this is really something.I love it that Carnival has a problem,and the solution is to charge your

clients to pay for the solution.I think this is crazy.Why doesn't Carnival come up with a solution where they pay for the problem.

I will bring my own straws.I'm not cheap,but this really makes me crazy.

6 hours ago, slo mo said:

Wow this is really something.I love it that Carnival has a problem,and the solution is to charge your

clients to pay for the solution.I think this is crazy.Why doesn't Carnival come up with a solution where they pay for the problem.

I will bring my own straws.I'm not cheap,but this really makes me crazy.

The world has the problem, Carnival is just the middle man.  It does not have to cost you anything, you answered yourself on the last question....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The world has the problem, Carnival is just the middle man.  It does not have to cost you anything, you answered yourself on the last question....

Exactly, the world has the problem. 

Not sure about CCL being the middle man. IMO, They seem to be capitalizing on the paranoia of this whole plastic thing. Which is why i called it "Genius marketing".  I can see people buying more drinks just to try out their new straws...😊

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Exactly, the world has the problem. 

Not sure about CCL being the middle man. IMO, They seem to be capitalizing on the paranoia of this whole plastic thing. Which is why i called it "Genius marketing".  I can see people buying more drinks just to try out their new straws...😊

Not sure how much anyone will make on these.  The whole straw thing will be interesting as it unfolds.  We live in a city that has outlawed them a couple years ago.  The dilemma is real, how we (collective) deal with it with be interesting to watch.  Some islands have removed plastic straws also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

How does this announcement impact the straw offerings onboard? Do the bars still have some type of straw option available?

Yes, the edible ones as John describes. I personally think it was a smart move by Carnival to offer the silicon and silicon-tipped stainless steel straws for a very small fee and which include a cleaning brush. They are offering you another option if you don't like the edible straws. Yes, it's a few bucks. Yes, they are saving money by not offering plastic straws anymore and they are now making money on the straws they sell. But that's what businesses do, make money so they can provide us with products and services we want. If they gave them away, they would raise cruise prices instead. This way, those who want them pay for them.

• Like 2

Has Carnival announced yet that they will be discontinuing sales of water in plastic bottles???

Of course not, they make like 1000% on those.   The oceans are littered with plastic bottles, a much bigger problem than plastic straws.   But Carnival has no interest in clearing the oceans from plastic, they only want to appear to care!!

I'll bring a box of my plastic straws that I bought on Amazon for $6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Has Carnival announced yet that they will be discontinuing sales of water in plastic bottles???

Of course not, they make like 1000% on those.   The oceans are littered with plastic bottles, a much bigger problem than plastic straws.   But Carnival has no interest in clearing the oceans from plastic, they only want to appear to care!!

I'll bring a box of my plastic straws that I bought on Amazon for $6.

Wanna bet