New Straw Offerings From John Heald

samrothstein

1 hour ago, CCLcruiser91 said:

Stossel: Plastic Straw Myths

https://youtu.be/kTrECOS4fzU

I love this, especially the pie chart and all the false and exaggerated numbers. Don't get me wrong the ocean is filled with plastic, as a sailor I have seen it first hand. A disposed straw in Colorado goes to a landfill, how it would ever get to an ocean is beyond me.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, FSHLOT said:

Here's the question:

Are they really concerned about the enviorment, or is this a revenue move?

It just seems like they found another way to make some money. I can see some people saying "it's just trieing to please people", but not sure i buy that one

What's not to buy check out all the plastic packaging.at least the straws aren't plastic.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:04 AM, Retired_to_Cruise said:

If you do not like what Carnival is doing with straws, you have a very simple solution. BRING YOUR OWN. On Amazon, 4 metal straws with a cleaning brush costs $9.95.  Really a big revenue maker.

They are a $1 a set straight from china.just like them on amazon.so yes a revenue maker in my book.

I think all the people who are bringing their own disposable straws are missing the point. They are trying to keep the straws from being thrown out and they are not recyclable. I was in Mexico in the spring and had trouble getting them at the bar at our resort also. Why not just try to do without them? I am a huge soda drinker and am very dependent on straws but I can make an effort.

• Like 1

If they truly wanted to get rid of plastic, I say start with banning those pesky sail and sign cards.     That will save me a lot of money.  Or better yet, make them out of sugar, so I can eat it if I start spending too much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, scpirate said:

They are a $1 a set straight from china.just like them on amazon.so yes a revenue maker in my book.

Me thinks there are other variables in the equation, but let’s not let facts get in the way😎 

Edited by jimbo5544

We were on a 3 night cruise recently on the Victory and we experienced the “sugar” straws.

They are OK for about the first 10 minutes but the sucking end seems to lose its shape after that from the moisture .

So if you drink quickly, you’ll be OK.  But if you like to take your time, it may get a little frustrating

11 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We were on a 3 night cruise recently on the Victory and we experienced the “sugar” straws.

They are OK for about the first 10 minutes but the sucking end seems to lose its shape after that from the moisture .

So if you drink quickly, you’ll be OK.  But if you like to take your time, it may get a little frustrating

Ask for 2

5 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I dont know the exact numbers, but i seen something to the affect of it being mostly from 3rd world places. Just like everything else in this crazy world, we always have to clean up everyone else's mess. If people think banning straws will fix this problem, or even put a dent in it, are highly misguided. It's nothing but a "feel good" topic. IMO

How about all the other plastics CCL uses? Will they still put your merchandise in a plastic bag from gift shop? Theres way more plastic being used then just straws.

The journey has to start somewhere.  Plastic has become a way of life for all of us and we need to change that.  Most change happens slowly, one step at a time.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I’m a big fan of single use disposable plastic products.

Me too.  Proper disposal is the key. If other countries disposed of their trash properly we most likely wouldn't be too concerned about it. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 12:30 PM, Sparky2 said:

If it were a future loyalty gift I would enjoy using them at home but not on cruise.

I can only imagine the uproar D&P guests would have if they were given straws for their loyalty gift. Nothing less than a Mercedes S-Class will do!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

I can only imagine the uproar D&P guests would have if they were given straws for their loyalty gift. Nothing less than a Mercedes S-Class will do!

For the peasants we say..... let them eat cake

The problem I see with the metal or silicone straws is that they will get taken or thrown away often by mistake.  People aren't use to managing straws...  😂

Lots of talk here regarding metal, silicone, sugar, and Plastic straws.  I can't begin to understand the sugar straws.  Metal and  silicone sound fine, but I think there will be a lot of stickiness behind-the-ears... where else would you store your used metal and silicone straws... ?  🤣  

Paper straws would be adequate for me.

It’s really ridiculous to have to bring your own straws and wash them each day on a ship that gives you 3 course dinners, daily maid service, etc. One of the most common sentiments on CC is the reference to not having to cook or clean on vacation. It may not take a lot of time, but it’s a hassle and frankly disgusting to clean straws in a bathroom sink IMHO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I am on the Victory right now and almost every bar had plastic straws. They would only give them out if you ask for one.

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

It’s really ridiculous to have to bring your own straws and wash them each day on a ship that gives you 3 course dinners, daily maid service, etc. One of the most common sentiments on CC is the reference to not having to cook or clean on vacation. It may not take a lot of time, but it’s a hassle and frankly disgusting to clean straws in a bathroom sink IMHO.

I'm so glad I don't use straws, only to go drinks when I am driving.

13 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

How about all the other plastics CCL uses? Will they still put your merchandise in a plastic bag from gift shop? Theres way more plastic being used then just straws.

I believe the issue with straws is the trash separation equipment, which is somewhat automated.  The straws are too small for the system to separate out, so they end up in the land fill -- or in Cruise lines case, perhaps they end up where they shouldn't.  This is not a Carnival and Ocean specific issue... California uses land fills, but has a requirement to separate their trash and recycle.  Dine-in establishments are not allowed to provide plastic straws without the customer asking for them. 

California has also enacted legislation imposing a statewide ban on single-use plastic bags at large retail stores.