Do we need visas on Black Sea cruise?

Azamarajunkie

We are on the first Black Sea cruise next year in July and have been mulling over whether we need any visas in advance, particularly for Russia when we dock in Sochi. I know a number of CC members went on the previous cruises there before the troubles in Ukraine happened and wonder if the ship handled any visas required. This is also a question for Bonnie. 

Steve, I think you will find Sochi is the same as St Petersburg Ie you'll need to book a tour through an officially licensed company (either the ship or authorised agent) to fall under the 72 hour rule of stay.  Otherwise you'd need to obtain a Russian visa yourself. That's not something that is very straightforward or economical so the tour is the way to go. 

Phil 

• Like 2

Keeping in mind other less experienced travelers might read this thread, I submit it’s a good idea to check any visa requirements (short or long term) with your home country. What works for one passenger may not be valid for another in the multinational population on Azamara. 

Speaking as a US citizen, I couldn’t agree more about taking a tour that includes a short-visit visa rather than securing a Russian visa. That spendy process is tedious, at best. 

Edited by Harrietq
  • Like 3

Thankyou Phil and Harriet, I wasn’t aware of the 72 hour visa rule in Russia for cruise passengers, it’s a new destination for us.  Planning continues for this cruise as all the ports in the Black Sea are new to us, and are still awaiting Azamara to provide details of interesting land tours.