Disappearing chairs

runner15km

I have sailed solo 7 times and this chair issue always happen. If I go to a lounge to listen to music and have a cocktail I look for a table that has 3-4 open seats.  Passengers come by and ask if this seat is taken. One by one those chairs are moved to another table and I'm left sitting along with no one to have a chat with. This also happens near the pool so after a few hours I have empty spaces on both sides.  Have you noticed this /

I have sailed solo 7 times and this chair issue always happen. If I go to a lounge to listen to music and have a cocktail I look for a table that has 3-4 open seats.  Passengers come by and ask if this seat is taken. One by one those chairs are moved to another table and I'm left sitting along with no one to have a chat with. This also happens near the pool so after a few hours I have empty spaces on both sides.  Have you noticed this /

Yes we noticed the same thing and when you ask to leave a chair they come to fetch it at a later time.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I have experienced this as well, but I more frequently have people asking if they can join me when most other tables/chairs are full.  I met 2 lovely couples on the Nieuw Statendam in January that way.  We enjoyed each others company and we became HH buddies afterwards and remain in touch via e-mail.  

More often than not, though, if there are seats at the bar in a decent location, I will sit there.  Pretty hard for bar seats to be removed.  And, if no one else with whom to converse, the bartender(s) often make for interesting conversation companions as they have time.

22 hours ago, runner15km said:

Passengers come by and ask if this seat is taken. One by one those chairs are moved to another table and I'm left sitting along with no one to have a chat with.

When asked if the seat is taken, my reply would be "yes". 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, runner15km said:

You missed my point, I want people to sit and have a light conversation. 

I believe that we are both misunderstanding each other as you missed my point as well. I would also want people to have chairs on which to sit to engage in said light conversation. Thus, I would tell those wishing to move chairs to other tables that the seats were taken. If a group wished to join the table at which I was seated, the seats would be available. Understandably, difficult to differentiate among the takers and the joiners but I would still make the attempt.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I believe that we are both misunderstanding each other as you missed my point as well. I would also want people to have chairs on which to sit to engage in said light conversation. Thus, I would tell those wishing to move chairs to other tables that the seats were taken. If a group wished to join the table at which I was seated, the seats would be available. Understandably, difficult to differentiate among the takers and the joiners but I would still make the attempt.

That is what I was trying to imply in my post.  The more full the lounge becomes, the better the odds that someone(s) else will ask to join me at my table.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:24 AM, runner15km said:

That is my concern about cruising solo. Other people don't seem to be interested in meeting new people. My best success was at the trivia contests, when people need teams. I don't know what cruises could do to address this, but i would be nice if they did something. 

4 hours ago, Gypsymimi said:

That is my concern about cruising solo. Other people don't seem to be interested in meeting new people. My best success was at the trivia contests, when people need teams. I don't know what cruises could do to address this, but i would be nice if they did something. 

Good morning, please know I am meaning this post without any malice but I don't think it is the cruise line's responsibility to do anything.  I know NCL seems to have their "single's lounge" so they do something but as for doing something in the genre of meeting people elsewhere on the ship?

What do you suggest they do?   I have met very friendly folks on board and am

still friends with them outside of this forum.  A friendly person is friendly--the cruise line has no

control over how/why folks want to meet other folks.

Trivia, other activities and such are always a way to meet folks (as you mentioned). As for the shows and stuff?

Watching a show? I don't mind watching on my own.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gypsymimi said:

I agree with Lois, I don't know what else cruise lines can do to help people meet others more than what they do already.  I do similar things as you do, the trivia and other activities, and I also always join the roll call for that cruise as well, because it gives me a chance to meet different people that I probably wouldn't if I had not joined.  I have been traveling solo for many years and have not had any troubles meeting people.  

I usually do ship excursions as it is simpler and easier when I am by myself and not that much more expensive than booking on your own.  Many times I will meet and see the same people on the different excursions I take.  I guess we like the same tours or something so we have that in common.  

It probably helps that I am a bit of an extrovert and will talk to anyone, and like some of the other posters on this thread, many times I will just park myself at the bar rather than sit at a table alone.  It will get easier the more you cruise solo, so hang in there and things will get better as you get used to traveling solo on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, please know I am meaning this post without any malice but I don't think it is the cruise line's responsibility to do anything.  I know NCL seems to have their "single's lounge" so they do something but as for doing something in the genre of meeting people elsewhere on the ship?

What do you suggest they do?   I have met very friendly folks on board and am

still friends with them outside of this forum.  A friendly person is friendly--the cruise line has no

control over how/why folks want to meet other folks.

This was a little harsh. I didn't say it was the ship's responsibility- but from what I've read on some other boards, cruise lines do want to attract solo sailers, and NCL seems to be the most pro-active by grouping single cabins together and having a singles lounge.  I am not an extrovert like some of you seem to be, but I do like to talk to people when we're involved in activities like cooking classes, excursions, organized games, etc. I have no trouble eating or going to shows by myself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gypsymimi said:

This was a little harsh. I didn't say it was the ship's responsibility- but from what I've read on some other boards, cruise lines do want to attract solo sailers, and NCL seems to be the most pro-active by grouping single cabins together and having a singles lounge.  I am not an extrovert like some of you seem to be, but I do like to talk to people when we're involved in activities like cooking classes, excursions, organized games, etc. I have no trouble eating or going to shows by myself. 

Sorry you thought I was harsh....that is why I posted the reply had no malice behind it.

• Like 1

My experience is limited; I have only cruised solo with one line, however I agree with Lois and feel that adequate provisions are made for solos to facilitate guest interaction, at least on this one line.  Aside from shore excursions and scheduled activities like trivia and small "lunch and learn" type cooking demonstrations and wine tastings where guests are in small groups, they offer a hosted solo gathering each evening followed by a hosted table for dinner and gentlemen hosts on many cruises.  I think this is primarily a concern for shy extroverts; those who desire interaction but have trouble socializing with strangers.  I think if they were to make their concerns known to the crew member(s) hosting the solo gatherings, the host may be able to offer a bit of extra "social grease" to help them with introductions to others and finding common ground for further conversation.  What we think of as "true" extroverts would have no problem, I think, and introverts by definition, are much more comfortable with solitude and may or may not even be interested in joining the solo gatherings.  I consider myself mostly an introvert and sometimes attend the solo gatherings, sometimes not, but thankfully, I am not shy and find it easy to meet others when I fancy.  I am grateful that this line I am familiar with offers a solo "program" but does not pressure anyone to partake.  I would find that very uncomfortable! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pf778c said:

My experience is limited; I have only cruised solo with one line, however I agree with Lois and feel that adequate provisions are made for solos to facilitate guest interaction, at least on this one line.  Aside from shore excursions and scheduled activities like trivia and small "lunch and learn" type cooking demonstrations and wine tastings where guests are in small groups, they offer a hosted solo gathering each evening followed by a hosted table for dinner and gentlemen hosts on many cruises. 

What line were you on? I've never seen any of that on cruises I've been on (though I haven't cruised alone yet)- the only gatherings were the Bill W for alcoholics. I've actually sort of envied the fact that they have a community of people to get to know! (not really- don't jump on me for that, but you get my point). I've read that NCL is providing more receptions and events for singles. 

I have to agree with Lois. Again, with no malice but bluntly, the cruise line isn't responsible for a passenger making friends. Would one expect to be invited to someone else's table to eat at Red Lobster? Or to join the couple next to you at the symphony for drinks after? Or to organize an event at the hotel breakfast? We wouldn't expect those things on land so why would we expect that on a boat?

3 hours ago, NancyW12 said:

I have to agree with Lois. Again, with no malice but bluntly, the cruise line isn't responsible for a passenger making friends. Would one expect to be invited to someone else's table to eat at Red Lobster? Or to join the couple next to you at the symphony for drinks after? Or to organize an event at the hotel breakfast? We wouldn't expect those things on land so why would we expect that on a boat?

Hi Nancy,:classic_smile: I will say some Maitr'ds//Hostesses/etc in the restaurants will ask if you want to share a table with others (for dinner).

I have been asked that multiple times over the years. That is one way to meet others, not necessarily

saying people say yes to the question though.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:58 PM, Gypsymimi said:

What line were you on? I've never seen any of that on cruises I've been on (though I haven't cruised alone yet)- the only gatherings were the Bill W for alcoholics. I've actually sort of envied the fact that they have a community of people to get to know! (not really- don't jump on me for that, but you get my point). I've read that NCL is providing more receptions and events for singles. 

Silversea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 8:58 PM, Gypsymimi said:

I cruise Princess primarily. I am seated in the MDR at a table they're trying to fill out sometimes with other solos, I save the last chair at Crooners for another solo or sit in the one by the sofa, and rarely go to the nightly singles event (no it isn't a Friends of Bill one as I will have a glass of wine). I only have an issue at the IC for breakfast (I don't do buffets well ... eyes bigger than stomach and clean plate club)

• 5 weeks later...

As for me, I have no problem with people leaving me alone. I am forever polite and have no trouble talking to other people, but if it gets too personal or long winded, I'll "suddenly" have a bathroom emergency or forgotten appointment.

• Like 2